2017 yamaha

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cris read posted this yesterday on his blog he is head of snowmobile product planning.

[h=3]February 14, 2016[/h] [h=1]Bolt-on Smiles[/h] I awoke to minus 32C this morning, second day in a row of Arctic air at the cabin. On my second cup as the sun breaks through the trees, reading the comments, speculating on what would be our next big thing in snowmobiles.
Snow bikes seem to be getting a lot of traction in the rumour mill. Let’s think about that one for a moment. Here’s a couple of facts you should know. The total market today is approximately 10K units sold. This is the entire history of SB sales. Timbersled is by far the largest player in the kit game, holding several key patents on the conversion. Polaris recently acquired Timbersled in what some consider a block play and now possess those patents. SB don’t work worth a damn on hard pack (current technology and design). SB kits require a host motorcycle on which to install them. In addition there will be political hurdles to overcome as they become more mainstream, definitions, compliance, regulations etc..
Now all that said, many guys are choosing Yamaha YZ’s as the bike of choice. One could say we are already in the SB business by Ascension. But if we really wanted in I suppose it would be best to build a complete SB just like our friends at AC have proposed. Nice way to skirt around the patents and save the consumer the cost of wheels and rear suspension they don’t require. That would require significant investment and if based on a YZ would open a Pandoras Box of liability and risk exposure in breaking new ground or snow as is the case.
End of the day, the SB market is currently planted firmly in the Rockies. It’s cool, it’s growing but its niche. If I had to draw sales projections over three years for a new SB project, it would be a single K digit (note: I’ve been wrong before!). We could build the best SB ever considering our wealth of MC and SMB engineering, or we could sit back and enjoy a few extra sales in the already very healthy off-road motorcycle world…. March 1 will tell all. cr

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cris read posted this yesterday on his blog he is head of snowmobile product planning.

[h=3]February 14, 2016[/h] [h=1]Bolt-on Smiles[/h] I awoke to minus 32C this morning, second day in a row of Arctic air at the cabin. On my second cup as the sun breaks through the trees, reading the comments, speculating on what would be our next big thing in snowmobiles.
Snow bikes seem to be getting a lot of traction in the rumour mill. Let’s [/URL]think about that one for a moment. Here’s a couple of facts you should know. The total market today is approximately 10K units sold. This is the entire history of SB sales. Timbersled is by far the largest player in the kit game, holding several key patents on the conversion. Polaris recently acquired Timbersled in what some consider a block play and now possess those patents. SB don’t work worth a damn on hard pack (current technology and design). SB kits require a host motorcycle on which to install them. In addition there will be political hurdles to overcome as they become more mainstream, definitions, compliance, regulations etc..
Now all that said, many guys are choosing Yamaha YZ’s as the bike of choice. One could say we are already in the SB business by Ascension. But if we really wanted in I suppose it would be best to build a complete SB just like our friends at AC have proposed. Nice way to skirt around the patents and save the consumer the cost of wheels and rear suspension they don’t require. That would require significant investment and if based on a YZ would open a Pandoras Box of liability and risk exposure in breaking new ground or snow as is the case.
End of the day, the SB market is currently planted firmly in the Rockies. It’s cool, it’s growing but its niche. If I had to draw sales projections over three years for a new SB project, it would be a single K digit (note: I’ve been wrong before!). We could build the best SB ever considering our wealth of MC and SMB engineering, or we could sit back and enjoy a few extra sales in the already very healthy off-road motorcycle world…. March 1 will tell all. cr
After reading this I'll go on record and say the dude sitting upright in the video is on a revived snoscoot. I still believe the Seadoo spark hit a cord across a few markets in a few ways and Someone...maybe Yamaha will chase a low cost very tippy yet fun sled. I know many have tried to hit the low cost, but I don't believe they hit the mark in using existing chassis designs. A 3/4 sized phazer at about 6500 out the door would be a hoot.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading this I'll go on record and say the dude sitting upright in the video is on a revived snoscoot. I still believe the Seadoo spark hit a cord across a few markets in a few ways and Someone...maybe Yamaha will chase a low cost very tippy yet fun sled. I know many have tried to hit the low cost, but I don't believe they hit the mark in using existing chassis designs. A 3/4 sized phazer at about 6500 out the door would be a hoot.
That would be fun sled. Id like to see a 80ish hp snow bike based off the 450fx, yeti style rear skid around 350 lbs wet and priced under 15gs

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A old fuel injected banshee motor in a snow bike! That would be sweet. I hope Yamaha makes a new two stroke! It would be good to here those again in the mountains! Nothing sounds better then a nice 700 mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to say what it really is. Watched it a handful of times. Lots of ways you can twist it.

I still think a production snowbike platform would be on a 2 stroke. One of the biggest things I think snowbikes miss is reverse. Easier to fire a 2 stroke in reverse to get that. Single cylinder 400 etec. Light weight proven power in the 70-80 hp range.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't want a 2s bike. Powerband is far too narrow. The torque curve in a 4s is much more suitable for the snow IMO.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

God, that last sentence is exactly the problem with Yamaha "we could build the best, or we could sit back on our thumbs and twirl around for a bit". Stop being a bunch of *ussies. Ditch that middle manager no risk bull**** attitude and just build something awesome!

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reverse on a snow bike? Ive never felt the need for reverse on any of my bikes maybe to back out of trailer but there so light and easy to hand bomb.. Thumpers all the way lots of torque an response at any rpm

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to say what it really is. Watched it a handful of times. Lots of ways you can twist it.

I still think a production snowbike platform would be on a 2 stroke. One of the biggest things I think snowbikes miss is reverse. Easier to fire a 2 stroke in reverse to get that. Single cylinder 400 etec. Light weight proven power in the 70-80 hp range.

I like where your going with this...I would be in. Even better idea, take half of my M1000 motor and make it a 500;)

Had a 600 snow hawk for a few years...don't think I could go a four stroke gearbox snow bike after having a 600 2 stroke CVT.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't want a 2s bike. Powerband is far too narrow. The torque curve in a 4s is much more suitable for the snow IMO.

Really? So you have ridden one?

The 250xc I tried was a blast. The 300 that was with us was also looked like a blast. Torque curves can be modified with pipes like the gnarly.

Reverse on a snow bike? Ive never felt the need for reverse on any of my bikes maybe to back out of trailer but there so light and easy to hand bomb.. Thumpers all the way lots of torque an response at any rpm

Were you also one of the guys who thought reverse on sleds wasn't going to catch on? Lol.

Do I need it? No. Would It come in handy? Yeah.

The major benefit to the current four stroke bikes is fuel injection. Optimum fueling at all elevations. Add that into a 2 stroke. The current 800 Etec runs about 100ft lbs through its mid to upper rpm range. A 400 could feasibly achieve 50ft lbs. Do the current 450's get this? I am asking as I do not know. I would guess in the 35-40 range. Of course this is all peak but I don't believe the single thumpers are putting out drastically different numbers other than higher dB out the exhaust.

Anyhow. Yamaha. They have kept their foot in the two stroke game with their off road bikes. Just released an off road 250 last year. It's a nice bike. If I wasn't completely happy with my orange bike I would look at the blue one. Yamaha might say right now they aren't looking at snow bikes but it's on the horizon. They have their place. I don't buy the whole "west" thing either that the Yamaha guy said. I think snow bikes could very well catch on in the central and East. It would make it easier for guys who have marginal snow years to get out and explore.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't rode a 2s in 10 years. I know all about changing the torque curves with piping and gearing. I just feel the 4s works better on and off the snow. There's a reason most everyone rides 4s now.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on the application. 4S for closed circuit track racing is the norm yes. Off road single track and hare scrambles still has a significant amount of 2S. Most of the top riders are on 2S. I see just as many brand new smokers running around the trails as I do 4S. So I don't see how most everyone rides 4S. Show up on a Tuesday night ride in the Kootenays and very few will have a thumper. RMDRA rides are split pretty even. I guess The average flat brim hat guy might be happy on his shiny 450 hanging off the tailgate of his truck but there is a reason you can pick them up for pennies on the dollar a few years down the road.

California has made it almost impossible to run 2S with their CARB bs and forced the change to greener 4S.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and a short track....something for the east :rolleyes:

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2017 yamaha.jpg

Top Bottom