2017 Ford F-350

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it would be tough to pull off without running into the same issues as Nissan. Namely a heavy motor that eats up a ton of your payload (similar to a 2500 diesel). But yes build a truck that can handle payload, has major components that are reliable to 300k km and sells in the half ton market for ~$50k and I'd buy one.

Weight of the 5.0 Cummins 850 just shy of 900 fully dressed. Weight of 3.5 ecoboost 450 and 550 dressed as per Google machine. Cuts into a bit of the payload plus other factors like possibly heavier exhaust components and DEF tank.

310hp/555tq for the 5.0 Cummins vs fords new 2017 F150 numbers of 375hp/450tq. So not horrible numbers.

Room for improvement on both in the aftermarket world obviously. As I am sitting here in a Ford with a blow dryer as my daily work truck I just couldn't imagine them changing directions and putting a small diesel in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weight of the 5.0 Cummins 850 just shy of 900 fully dressed. Weight of 3.5 ecoboost 450 and 550 dressed as per Google machine. Cuts into a bit of the payload plus other factors like possibly heavier exhaust components and DEF tank.

310hp/555tq for the 5.0 Cummins vs fords new 2017 F150 numbers of 375hp/450tq. So not horrible numbers.

Room for improvement on both in the aftermarket world obviously. As I am sitting here in a Ford with a blow dryer as my daily work truck I just couldn't imagine them changing directions and putting a small diesel in it.

Ford has leveraged the ecoboost brand too heavily to develop a half ton diesel especially seeing as the two already on the market haven't lit any sort of a fire. And honestly with the 3.5 EB turning out the numbers it does with healthy low rpm torque you don't yearn for a diesel like you do with a traditional N/A V8 when towing. The EB seems to be reliable to the 200k km range but beyond that I am unsure of longterm reliability.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your homework , Ford hasn't had many issues at all since they parted ways with international , the 6.7 is strong and hasn't had many problems at all. 6.0-6.4 were fails, they raised the bar in 2017 simply in there towing capacities , the jury is hung on the whole aluminum thing still

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your homework , Ford hasn't had many issues at all since they parted ways with international , the 6.7 is strong and hasn't had many problems at all. 6.0-6.4 were fails, they raised the bar in 2017 simply in there towing capacities , the jury is hung on the whole aluminum thing still

I don't like the whole aluminum thing! I worked on way to many super bee tankers that had steel frames and aluminum tanks bolted to them. It crazy the power of that corrosion!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I took a Nissan for a test drive and was very impressed. Lots of power and the trim was very nice. Harder on fuel than I expected.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure it is a Japanese clone....lol

Do not get me wrong both the Nissan and Toyota's are nice trucks but
A:the dealerships are spaced wider apart.
B: there fuel economy is worse
C: they are more exspensive
There are other reasons as well

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not according to this article. Says there's a 3 liter diesel coming to the f-150 in 2018.

2018 Ford F-150 Facelift Spied

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X2 What he said! The gas job half ton has come a long way. I am a new owner of a 6.2l 8 speed chev half ton and I am very impressed with it coming from a deleted dmax. It hauled my trailers much better than I thought, that 8 speed keeps it in the right RPM better than I thought.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pics out there that have proof of a half ton Ford diesel.

Ford has leveraged the ecoboost brand too heavily to develop a half ton diesel especially seeing as the two already on the market haven't lit any sort of a fire. And honestly with the 3.5 EB turning out the numbers it does with healthy low rpm torque you don't yearn for a diesel like you do with a traditional N/A V8 when towing. The EB seems to be reliable to the 200k km range but beyond that I am unsure of longterm reliability.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw a Platinum super duty today at a red light.

Pretty impressive looking.

I talked to a salesman, and there are models that will break $100,000..

Ouch.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw a Platinum super duty today at a red light.

Pretty impressive looking.

I talked to a salesman, and there are models that will break $100,000..

Ouch.

Insanity

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
superdutys are not too bad.. the new raptors are $137k... I just about **** never thought I'd see the day

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see why they would have done it either. It seems the small diesel would be competing against the Eco boost.

But Ford if anyone has long been the guys who have more offerings than other manufacturers.

GM would have been keen to get that 5.0 Cummins in their 1500's or another Duramax to the line up. The 2.8 Duramax is too small.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see why they would have done it either. It seems the small diesel would be competing against the Eco boost.

But Ford if anyone has long been the guys who have more offerings than other manufacturers.

GM would have been keen to get that 5.0 Cummins in their 1500's or another Duramax to the line up. The 2.8 Duramax is too small.

Exactly, Ford already has the best half ton motor that makes more hp than the diesel and is very very close on torque and it doesn't seem like Dodge or Nissan are selling that many diesel halfers

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly, Ford already has the best half ton motor that makes more hp than the diesel and is very very close on torque and it doesn't seem like Dodge or Nissan are selling that many diesel halfers

Yeah but you can put a deck and two sleds on a properly equipped F-150. Now give them a diesel option and those things will be flying off the lot!

Lol

Top Bottom