2014 xm

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up a used black/orange 2014 Summit SP 146 800 Etec with 59 miles on it, it also came with a cover, spare belt/key, and gas caddy for $10k yesterday. I plan on putting Grip and Rip braces on it along with a skid plate, are there any other minor mods I can do to it? I'm coming off a rev chassis so this will be a learning experience for me. Any tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride the snot out of it it will be more comfortable than an XP if you're coming off a rev. Only real learning curve will be not using quite as much body english. The shocks are pretty much crap if you're an aggressive rider and over 160# some easy weight loss is a can (quiet please) and an aftermarket hood.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shocks will be down the road, after I figure out how to ride this bad boy. I'm also thinking about adding the Doo heavy duty bumper, anyone on here use them? We're a ways out from riding yet, it's in the 40's and we have zero snow.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Shocks will be down the road, after I figure out how to ride this bad boy. I'm also thinking about adding the Doo heavy duty bumper, anyone on here use them? We're a ways out from riding yet, it's in the 40's and we have zero snow.

I have always used the HD bumper. A heavy attachment but necessary if you have to tow anything. I also put in a screen kit for the powder days. Enjoy.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the hd front bumper, anyone have one of these on their sled? About how many miles do I need to put on this sled before it comes our of "break-in" mode? And the guy threw in a set of running board supports but I'm not sure if they even make them for this sled, I didn't see any on the Doo website.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the hd front bumper, anyone have one of these on their sled? About how many miles do I need to put on this sled before it comes our of "break-in" mode? And the guy threw in a set of running board supports but I'm not sure if they even make them for this sled, I didn't see any on the Doo website.
Break in depends on amount of fuel burned. I've heard anywhere from 250-600km depending on how you ride.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I just use the stock front bumper. It used to be $49 but with the different shape it is now $79. It used to be a cheap, easy fix and the bumper absorbed the small shocks without damaging anything else. Break-in is like bnorth says, amount of fuel that goes through the system. The more wide open one rides the fast the break-in goes down.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that HD front bumper is $249 so I think i'll stick with the factory bumper for now. My wife's sled has the "break-in" (71%) mode on her gauge but mine doesn't show it, is that normal? Would be nice to have that option so I know when I am close. Been kicking the idea of a skid plate around but don't know which one to get, I like the RPM Composites skid plate but $600 is a bit steep. Anyone running the Doo Extreme skid plate and how do you like it?

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that HD front bumper is $249 so I think i'll stick with the factory bumper for now. My wife's sled has the "break-in" (71%) mode on her gauge but mine doesn't show it, is that normal?

There was a update on some of the early build 2014's that didn't have the break in percent on the gauge. Check with your dealer for an update.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that HD front bumper is $249 so I think i'll stick with the factory bumper for now. My wife's sled has the "break-in" (71%) mode on her gauge but mine doesn't show it, is that normal? Would be nice to have that option so I know when I am close. Been kicking the idea of a skid plate around but don't know which one to get, I like the RPM Composites skid plate but $600 is a bit steep. Anyone running the Doo Extreme skid plate and how do you like it?
Etec goes to normal fueling/timing after 80 litres (21.16 gal)through injectors and normal oiling after 120 litres (31.74 gal)

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for some reason the "break-in" message came on when I started the sled tonight so apparently they must have flashed this sled. So I'm at 77% right now, hopefully we can get some snow soon so I get this thing broken in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same as above: screen kit
screen kit.JPG

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like that screen kit, I'll have to out that on the list. Can someone tell me how to tell if my rear shock is blown?

When I pick the back of the sled to expand the suspension and let it go back down it drops 2 1/2" and when I push down on the back then release it it only comes up about an 1 1/2". The sled is in my garage where it's warm so I don't know if that's making me think something's wrong or there actually is something wrong.

My wife's sled is outside and it sits up an inch higher than mine. There just doesn't seem to be enough rebound in the shock on my sled.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like that screen kit, I'll have to out that on the list. Can someone tell me how to tell if my rear shock is blown?

When I pick the back of the sled to expand the suspension and let it go back down it drops 2 1/2" and when I push down on the back then release it it only comes up about an 1 1/2". The sled is in my garage where it's warm so I don't know if that's making me think something's wrong or there actually is something wrong.

My wife's sled is outside and it sits up an inch higher than mine. There just doesn't seem to be enough rebound in the shock on my sled.

Is your sled on dollies? This will mess with suspension.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's on dollies. I took it off the rear dollie and all is good now. Boy do I feel dumb now. Thanks for the heads up markoo.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's on dollies. I took it off the rear dollie and all is good now. Boy do I feel dumb now. Thanks for the heads up markoo.

Don't worry about it your not the first one!

T9000

Reaction score
On the suspension issue topic... my 2014 Summit is experiencing similar problems and has pretty well from day one. I even went as far as upgrading shocks front & rear and problem still persists. Having my machine and my dads exact same machine (His is still stock suspension) side by side and having my torsion springs set to the highest setting and the other sled set on 2 or 3 my back end is still really soft and does not sit nearly as high as his. Does anyone have any insight on this? would my torsion springs be pooched? OH and no my sled is not on dollies lol :p

Top Bottom