2014 Motortrend Truck of the year

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 1500 ram with 3.0 diesel wins.Not much of a Dodge fan but kudos too them for being first.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it's ok for the power but your still limited in capacity because of tires and suspension. Diesel, despite being a byproduct of refining gasoline, costs more!

Thegeneral

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I guess it's ok for the power but your still limited in capacity because of tires and suspension. Diesel, despite being a byproduct of refining gasoline, costs more!

Thegeneral

I would like a to hear a logical reason from the refiners for the cost of diesel being higher than gas other than the usual rhetoric...

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like a to hear a logical reason from the refiners for the cost of diesel being higher than gas other than the usual rhetoric...

Supply and demand is the only practical explanation. Although you hear stories about soccer moms driving 1tons as the reason, the fact is that most of our goods are hauled by a diesel burning tractor trailers.

Thegeneral

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good honest review in that vid. One of the better reviews of a truck I have seen. Will be interesting to see how Nissans diesel halfer compares next year. I personally think Nissan has better build quality, and they may be able to boost up their capacities.

Diesel was cheaper than gas over the summer. Pretty sick how expensive it is right now.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta admit they look good. Definatley like the dodges interiors, seems like they've really stepped it up. But id be waiting for some of the quirks to get figured out... All in all I think Id stick with my dmax. Anyone else hear that dodge lost the rights to cummins as of 2015? I imagine that's gonna hurt there heavy duty truck sales

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Supply and demand is the only practical explanation. Although you hear stories about soccer moms driving 1tons as the reason, the fact is that most of our goods are hauled by a diesel burning tractor trailers.

Thegeneral

Diesel costs more to refine than gasoline due to the sulphur removing requirements... Also add in that North America exports diesel to Europe and that in winter time diesel is in high demand for heating of home (basically same as heating oil).

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel costs more to refine than gasoline due to the sulphur removing requirements... Also add in that North America exports diesel to Europe and that in winter time diesel is in high demand for heating of home (basically same as heating oil).

If this is true,then why is it that diesel has ALWAYS cost WAY less than gas up untill the last 6 years or so?
If memory serves me it was about 2007 ish that diesel became par with gas,then it climbed above it and has
been there ever since?
More profit,more profit,more profit.That's the reason for what we pay.

On topic. lol. Yes that was a good review.Guy seemed honest and told it like it was.Diesel halfer's should be
a decent sized market.IMO. Hell I don't NEED a 3/4 ,I just have one cause I pull part time.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta admit they look good. Definatley like the dodges interiors, seems like they've really stepped it up. But id be waiting for some of the quirks to get figured out... All in all I think Id stick with my dmax. Anyone else hear that dodge lost the rights to cummins as of 2015? I imagine that's gonna hurt there heavy duty truck sales

interesting because that rumour has been floating around for years... albeit the new ford engine is proving to be a good one... i always thought if ford threw a cummins in their trucks dodge would be dead

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this is true,then why is it that diesel has ALWAYS cost WAY less than gas up untill the last 6 years or so?
If memory serves me it was about 2007 ish that diesel became par with gas,then it climbed above it and has
been there ever since?

On topic. lol. Yes that was a good review.Guy seemed honest and told it like it was.Diesel halfer's should be
a decent sized market.IMO. Hell I don't NEED a 3/4 ,I just have one cause I pull part time.

hummm funny your mention that... thats about the same time the gov't started trying to kill diesels... between immissions control and higher cost of diesels they are quickly loosing value... expect for the guys with huge 5th wheels or work the average hwy driver who needs a diesel 2x per has given up... i loved driving my diesel still have an 02 and 94 cummins but i couldn't justify a new diesel...could you imagine todays diesels with no emmission crap???? what a great truck that would be to drive the kids to soccer in!

i have a cousin who works for cummins all their r&e money is going into CNG... maybe its all linked... the gov't gently pushing us in the direction they want us to go like a heard of cattle... anyhow... JMOP

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO that is a very nice truck overall.Call me old school,but I would much rather see a console shift than
that stupid turn knob on the dash.Grill is very ugly as well.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just hope that Ford and Chev step up now that Dodge has put the heat on.Yes was a very good review.One of the best things about a diesel is the lack of gear hunting.Its the first thing I noticed going from my Duramax to my 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 gasser.Also sounds like crazy good fuel economy with the 3.0l diesel.When my new lease is up I hope there all offering a diesel in the half ton.Nissan i'll pass

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 14 ram...not the diesel mind you but over all the truck is solid and handles well...the shift knob is actually pretty slick. I did drive the diesel 1/2 ton and for the price and payload/tow capacities I found the hemi a better deal

Sent from my iPhone using

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been there ever since?

It just so happens about 6 years ago the implementation of ultra low diesel was introduced in an effort for S02 emissions reduction. Costs alot of money to outfit the refineries and heavily increases operating costs. No conspiracy here guys....

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a nbs ram. Had gm for years. My last was an 08. Was not impressed by it at all. See the new gms caught up to ford and dodge with cab size and other features but as you can see they didnt win truck of the year with their new unit.

Say what you will about old dodges but since fiat they have really stepped up the quality of their vehicles.

Top Bottom