2013 XM getting ready for winter

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Near the end of last season I put a MBRP race can on my 13. Has roosterbuilt clutching/gearing and a race can. After I put the MBRP can on, I noticed a lack of throttle response when wacking the throttle from out of the hole, Like the sled would cough/sputter. But would clean up once you got out of the throttle and back into it.. Im planning on wrapping the EGT probe with tinfoil to ensure it seals as well as new exhaust donuts. The sled has 1500km on it. Should I be looking at Reeds? Reason I ask is when it had a TSS can on it, when letting off the throttle it would back fire(easiest way to explain it and the reason why I got rid of it, hated the sound too) and thinking maybe chipped reed?

Thanks.

Last edited:

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant answer the reeds part of the question. but I did also have a tss can and mine had not quite a backfire but something similar when wide open and let off completely. I do know that in order to put a can on these sleds you need to dealr to go in with their computer and do some sort of flash. They did that to mine before I left the dealer with it. hope this helps

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of Etec's don't like MBRP cans (realistically it's probably variance with the cans not the sleds). Try the stock muffler and see if it cleans it up. If it does then try a better can like an HPS or SLP etc.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The issue on most aftermarket cans is the EGT probe sticks right into the hottest exhaust gas discharge. Use a bushing to bring the probe up higher. When I first installed my Bikeman can, same sputtering issues. Bought their billet extention and did the trick.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said above. Mbrp have been hit or miss too. Not sure about TSS. Try it with your stock muffler then you'll know.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does your race can have this extension on where the p[robe goes? this is for my 16 and the can is brand new.

Attachments

• i pad pics summit t3 489.jpg
    i pad pics summit t3 489.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 201

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We noticed a lot of the 13 were famous for that little "back fire" with different cans. Spacing the probe back seem to help.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the input guys! No my MBRP can did not come with the extension. I will have to track one down and give it a try. I bought the sled with the TSS can(sold it now) and do not have a stock muffler to throw on. I don't want to do reeds if I dont have to. Not that dragging the rear flap doing wheelies is good comparison but its rather upsetting when a 154 cant with a 163 next to him flipping over backwards lol. Clearing up this bog should solve that.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my experience it is typically not the can it was engine loading. We found by change the engagement from 3800 to 35/3600rpm it got rid of the stumble and backfire.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The '13 MBRP race can I have is different compared to their new cans. The EGT port is longer on the newer cans & I believe that it needs to be 35mm long o/all to run right (I'd have to check my notes at home). The older sleds only had problems when the sensor was too hot, but new programming now also senses if it's too cold, so making the port really long can cause problems also. It used to be common practice to push the sensor away from the pipe with extensions, but now it needs to be in the right spot to run correctly.

Instead of finding the right length extension for my 2013 can going onto a 2015 sled, I cut and tig welded a new port back on at the correct length and have had zero problems. Before spending $$ on an extension, check your port length - may not need it depending on which can you are using.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The '13 MBRP race can I have is different compared to their new cans. The EGT port is longer on the newer cans & I believe that it needs to be 35mm long o/all to run right (I'd have to check my notes at home). The older sleds only had problems when the sensor was too hot, but new programming now also senses if it's too cold, so making the port really long can cause problems also. It used to be common practice to push the sensor away from the pipe with extensions, but now it needs to be in the right spot to run correctly.

Instead of finding the right length extension for my 2013 can going onto a 2015 sled, I cut and tig welded a new port back on at the correct length and have had zero problems. Before spending $$ on an extension, check your port length - may not need it depending on which can you are using.

Soooo where do I find out the length I should have?? Also, should I take the sled in and have any programming done? Its been into the dealer but only for the grips and 2014 oil tank(as I didn't like the BRP recall fix)

Top Bottom