2013 XM Fuel Issue

Mountain Menace

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2013 XM, went for my first ride and could smell fuel. Was on a slight downhill leaning towards the left, and opened the gas cap (slightly pressurized) and fuel started pouring out of the top.

I remember a while ago reading about this issue but have not found a solid fix to this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So u were on a downhill - i presume tank was fairly full - think when u open gas cap and you're on a down hill - with the way the tank is formed fuel will come out
-

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Mountain Menace

Reaction score
I should've added it did it on the flat as well - I moved to flat after cracking the cap and releasing some pressure. It had quite a bit of pressure beneath the cap. Also - tank was not 100% full

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fairly common to hear pressure when taking the cap off. But if fuel is shooting out I would suggest replacing the one way check valve on your fuel tank. It's on the top right hand side of the tank, easy thing to try, or check and see if the vent line is pinched

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So sometimes when after riding and then just sitting on seat I can hear a humming noise - then when I get of seat the humming stops - just curious if youre hearing that - Its just pressure build up from fuel vapor - I sometimes open the fuel cap and release pressure , but Ive never had fuel come out !??

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The initial smell of gas could have been from the over flow line. A very common occurrence BTW. Fill up the tank, so for a ride and the heat from the motor or the heat of the sun on the black tank will expand the gas and it has nowhere to go but out the over flow (it is a small 1/4" clear plastic line up by the top of a shock) and in your case when you opened the top the gas tank was still pressurized. I don't think it is a real concern but rather an annoyance.

Top Bottom