2012 turbo arctic cat

Lukekendze

Reaction score
Got my new limited 2012 arctic cat last saturday and the first thing i did was put it on the scale. The sled is heavy, dry with no fuel or snow it was 620 pounds. pretty rediculous. My scales are not off either have had them checked. Took the sled to silent pass on sunday the sled has loads of power but did not handle close to what they said it would. The thing feels like a tank. but was be great for hill climbing. Straight up and over. Returned the sled already on tuesday, Not for me. bought a 800 hcr.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my new limited 2012 arctic cat last saturday and the first thing i did was put it on the scale. The sled is heavy, dry with no fuel or snow it was 620 pounds. pretty rediculous. .

not defending a cat here, but are you sure. Most guys come in around that weight full of fuel ready to ride.

sledhead80

Reaction score
Finally a true opinion of a four stroke. I owned a stage 2 turbo Yamaha for 3 years, it had all the goodies over 28k in to it. In the end I was either working on it or when it did run right having to fight the bear of a sled in the trees. For straight line pulls it was untouchable, I only got out done once in 3 years and that was by a 415 hp apex. But I'm not one to sit at the bottom of hills all day and just climb. For boondocking that sled straight out sucked. I bought a 2012 pro rmk and it has been my best choice yet, easy and most of all FUN to ride. I feel ya when it comes to the heavy 4 stroke, I can't imagine if the nytro had 100 less horse like the cats then it really would've been a massive POS, which tells you how I feel about the new cat 4 stroke turbo. Anyways just my 2 cents.

han solo

Reaction score
Local cat dealer weight his personal 1100T on brand new digtal scale, it was 625lbs(dry). But its getting a major weight loss. Why are people so surprised that cat 4stroke would be any less in weight than a yamaha? Just cause its cat doesnt mean anything. They have starter, battery, timing chains, camshafts, etc. Its the down fall of 4 strokes, some will hate, some will like. I have had a 4stroke yami since 04. If I bother to get a new sled, likely back to 2stroke. Sure power is nice, but so is a lighter sled somedays.

Ironmanstl

Reaction score
I as well had a turbo nytro for the last 3 years.Awesome power... in a straight line, far below standard in every other catagory.Handled like a dump truck. Nothing worse trying to alter your course while going downhill and the sled seeks out the steepest path and away it goes. Pull all you want, it doesn't do sh@t. I defended it for about 2 years, then finally came to the realization I just wasn't having fun riding it. All the compliments in the world "nice sled.. How much power does it have?,etc..." only strokes your ego so long...Sold it and bought a 2012 800 pro. Of course not near the power,but it keeps a smile on my face. Most fun I've had in 3 years.

Last edited:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok why would you buy a 4 stroke in the first place you must be a big farm boy but 625 pounds of dead weight is hard to lift when your arse is in 3 feet of snow you should listen to that short insurance lady and buy a POLARIS

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok why would you buy a 4 stroke in the first place you must be a big farm boy but 625 pounds of dead weight is hard to lift when your arse is in 3 feet of snow you should listen to that short insurance lady and buy a POLARIS
I ride a apex supercharged looking forward to trying it out this year. I agree it.s heavy but for the ride u get on the trails and on the hills when u jump it sure save's your back. Road my son's m8 light good power moves very well sucks on the trails u have to almost come to a complete stop when u take a corner on the trails compared to my apex.I more look that the dealers can't build one sled to make everyone happy so all u can do is ride what u like and injoy it, they all have their faults but hopefully u have a good ride.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a turbo apex, sure it has been lightened but I am 5'7" and 175lb. I am able to dig my sled out by myself most times. Yes if I stand on the throttle till it quits digging I have to get a shovel but I would have to get a shovel out if I did that to an m8 or a pro. The reliability is a very large part of why I ride 4 stroke. But to each his own I don't care if you ride a 1971 rustler just get out and enjoy the winter.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your saying an apex is better for jumping?
for a old fart like me the ride is much smoother on my apex than on my sons m8 and all i've hit is snow drifts not a complete drop or jump of any distance. The fathest i'm dropped with my apex is about 10 to 15 feet and I felt nothing so i'm not sure what u are asking. I don't beleve any sled is made for jumping without causing damage to the sled or the person riding it.

Lukekendze

Reaction score
Ya i shoiuld of known better than to buy a 4 choke sled, for my riding style. I was told it would be lighter and handle much like a rev, which is what i have ridden in the past 2010 xp. Live and learn. but i have to say Tim at camrose arctic cat is a good man and treated me really good. traded the turbo for a 800 snow check hcr. got lots of extras with the deal. So if you are looking for a arctic cat look up tim at camrose. Happy to be back owning a two smoke agian though.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for a old fart like me the ride is much smoother on my apex than on my sons m8 and all i've hit is snow drifts not a complete drop or jump of any distance. The fathest i'm dropped with my apex is about 10 to 15 feet and I felt nothing so i'm not sure what u are asking. I don't beleve any sled is made for jumping without causing damage to the sled or the person riding it.
You should probly read skidoos description of the freeride. They basically say its a mountain sled made for big drops and jumps like a snowcross sled.

Top Bottom