2012 Etec 800 question

hurt'in albertan2

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am in need of advice and idea's a friend has a 2012 summit x 800 with 1700kms on it and we took it to McBride 2 weeks ago had an fantastic Friday riding Renshaw no problems or issues and went back Saturday he rode up the trail got the the cabin and sled quit. We could get it running but decided to tow it down to be on the safe side. Found a dealer that would look at it(at this point I wont say who) drop it off and they look at it right away phone and say the bottom end is done!! water and dirt in the bottom end so NO WARRANTY!! So I asked how this can happen and they won't or can't say how this has happened. I am assuming through the air box but this machine is total stock with the exception of the can. This sled has been taken care of I am not saying he is angel but normal wear and tear. It's never been in any hard collisions with trees, never found and unexpected creeks or water. The issue is if we replace the motor and take it out next year and have a really heavy wet snowy day again, that is what the Friday conditions we rode in were like, are we going to be having the same issue again!! If you don't find out the cause i feel we are setting our selves up for the same thing to happen. The money is not the issue the no warranty is what I am having a hard time with. Any incites you guys have would be great!!

thanks in advance

Jason

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you the kind of guys that pull there sleds 1200km down sloppy roads with out a tarp on a open trailer or sled deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hurt'in albertan2

Reaction score
this trip it was an enclosed trailer but normally it is a trailer or sled deck with a tarp on this sled. So you are saying the water can get it driving down the right? So how is this different from a heavy wet snowy day? sorry not trying to sound like a prick i am just trying to understand how to fix? thanks for the reply

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this trip it was an enclosed trailer but normally it is a trailer or sled deck with a tarp on this sled. So you are saying the water can get it driving down the right? So how is this different from a heavy wet snowy day? sorry not trying to sound like a prick i am just trying to understand how to fix? thanks for the reply

No you don't sound like a prick I was worried I sounded like one. I think the constant spay off the road would get into places more then if your riding it. But if it's in a enclosed or tarped up can't see that being an issue. Do a good look over the machine see if the intake is apart somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might just be my unfamiliarity with the etec but how can they "phone back right away" and tell you there is dirt and sh&t in the bottom end?? wouldnt they need to pull it completely apart to see this?? Or is that what they did?

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with daltonw,if the bottem end is gone they cannot tell cause of failure without pulling apart,if its not pulled apart i would take it else ware for a 2nd opinion

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea go pick up the sled and bring it home. i trailered for years with out a tarp and drove through many creeks and water.
sounds more like a cracked intake someplace. if at all!!

Top Bottom