2011 etec piston swap

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are they so hard on reeds?
Is that due to required low number on clicker for trail.... and everyone leaves them on 3...4 or whatever setting they are on when unloaded at parking lot?
This has come up in a few conversations this year about the etec

I loved that post about the clicker being too high. :rolleyes:

I do not know forsure, but I believe they are drying out. Without fuel passing over them there is no way for them to stay lubricated and the small bit of oil they get from the raves is not enough.

Now, is there a better solution? Some guys are having luck with boyesen and vforce peddles. I was going to go that route but decided not to without a fuel controller.

The other problem is how the reeds function. The piston rises and opens the reeds to allow the air in, and previously fuel with that air. Then close when the piston lowers. Without fuel this can likely cause a lot of fluttering. The combustion blowback on the dry reeds likely is the main cause though.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got by 2011 800 etec back from the dealer for the piston swap, now I have to go through the break in process for a few miles before I take it to the hills. Right now my back feels broken so the break in process may take a while LOL.

Britt

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah they reset the break in period so it is like it was when it was new. Two full tanks of fuel.

Did they look at the reeds?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they checked the reeds and they appeared to be okay.

Britt

I would deffinetly pull them over the summer. Its a bit of a pain, but atleast pull the PTO (clutch) side and have a look at the outside peddles. I find it hard to believe that an etec with 1500+ miles has good reeds. They appear to last about 1000.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got mine out of the dealer for a second piston recall,lol,I think they fuced up,they also said the reeds looked good,I got 4000km on mine.also said to 50/ 1 for a couple tanks.anyone else doing that.

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 11 and had to get another mill rite at 5000 kms as something let go and caused antifreeze to contaminate the crankcase.....made it 20 kms back to the truck without an overheat....dealer could not get a rebuild (was at xmas time and couldnt get a rebuild till mid jan) so he had a crate engine.....thats what I ended up with so it included a new stator and reeds...they did reuse my head......no indications just a sudden bunch of steam/smoke that smelt sweet...I did have the piston recall done at 2300 kms......thought it would last somewhat longer than that.....hmmmmm

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 11 and had to get another mill rite at 5000 kms as something let go and caused antifreeze to contaminate the crankcase.....made it 20 kms back to the truck without an overheat....dealer could not get a rebuild (was at xmas time and couldnt get a rebuild till mid jan) so he had a crate engine.....thats what I ended up with so it included a new stator and reeds...they did reuse my head......no indications just a sudden bunch of steam/smoke that smelt sweet...I did have the piston recall done at 2300 kms......thought it would last somewhat longer than that.....hmmmmm

It should. Very possible they made an install error on the recall pistons. Those base gaskets are an absolute nightmare. With the engine in the sled. Could have been damaged and just hung on for another 2500.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got mine out of the dealer for a second piston recall,lol,I think they fuced up,they also said the reeds looked good,I got 4000km on mine.also said to 50/ 1 for a couple tanks.anyone else doing that.

If the dealer said to mix it 50/1 for a couple of tanks I would look for a dealer who can provide better service in the future.

I would also suspect they wouldn't know what reeds should look like if they said to do so.

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should. Very possible they made an install error on the recall pistons. Those base gaskets are an absolute nightmare. With the engine in the sled. Could have been damaged and just hung on for another 2500.

Well if thats what happened........it cost BRP almost 7 grand....I saw the warranty submission....blew me away hahaha.....appearantley corporate wasnt too happy.......I never did ask what root cause was, just knew bearings were all contaminated......

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i have 2 2011 etecs.. first one i was waiting to do the recall and it dropped a piston ring locator pin at 4400miles not km... new crate engine with raves and reeds invoice was 8800.00.. thx brp..lol.. second sled was done at 2000km after breakin aerocharger went on have about fifteen hundred km on it and running good.. stock reeds lasted 200km with turbo went with tdr kevlar and problem solved... stock reeds flex too much and tap the engine cases chipping and splitting them under boost.. thats my assumption anyways..

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i have 2 2011 etecs.. first one i was waiting to do the recall and it dropped a piston ring locator pin at 4400miles not km... new crate engine with raves and reeds invoice was 8800.00.. thx brp..lol.. second sled was done at 2000km after breakin aerocharger went on have about fifteen hundred km on it and running good.. stock reeds lasted 200km with turbo went with tdr kevlar and problem solved... stock reeds flex too much and tap the engine cases chipping and splitting them under boost.. thats my assumption anyways..

How do you like your aero charger

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would deffinetly pull them over the summer. Its a bit of a pain, but atleast pull the PTO (clutch) side and have a look at the outside peddles. I find it hard to believe that an etec with 1500+ miles has good reeds. They appear to last about 1000.

If they do need to be replaced what would type of reed would you suggest?

Billy Boy:cool:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they do need to be replaced what would type of reed would you suggest?

Billy Boy:cool:

Boyesen will last longer as proved through testing. But will still be susceptible to chipping over time.

Whether it is the lack of fuel passing over them or the amount of piston blow back the etec is hard on reeds.

Top Bottom