2010 2500 duramax shock upgrade

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm possibly going to upgrade the shocks on my duramax and I'm not sure what to get. It's not lifted or levelled. Stock height. What's a decent shock for a decent price? I've seen skyjacker, rancho and a few others on eBay for about $350 shipped. Any info is much appreciated.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Rancho are chit!! The bushings in them are complete and utter garbage. Do yourself a favor and go with some Bilstein's. I promise that you won't be sorry.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends what you want to spend. stop in at 4 wheel offroad in Edmonton. They have a good selection. I run Pro comp MX6, on my current and previous trucks no issues other then it seems in our winters it doesn't take long for the outside case to corrode and look like ****. Mechanically fine but you think they would build something that would weather or hold up to the salt on the roads.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran the MX6 years ago and couldn't keep seals from blowing with cold weather .
Maybe they went to synthetic oil finally for cold weather?
Yes the outsides get beat up if they are not like the Bilsteins or Fox

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran the MX6 years ago and couldn't keep seals from blowing with cold weather .
Maybe they went to synthetic oil finally for cold weather?
Yes the outsides get beat up if they are not like the Bilsteins or Fox
Pro comp shocks are lifetime warranty send them back

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fox 2.0 is what I have been running .
Where did you get your Fox and roughly how much were they? Are they rebuildable?

I've had Rancho 2K and 5K, Pro Comp and Fabtech. None held up very well. I'm also looking for other options that will work with my 6" lift other than spending ridiculous money on a set of King's or something.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
168.00 a few years ago at Cap it
Probably more with the dam dollar now.
150000 Kms and only put bushing in the front ones.
Still good with no leaks.
2012 1 ton GMC with Rancho 4 inch lift.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you get your Fox and roughly how much were they? Are they rebuildable?

I've had Rancho 2K and 5K, Pro Comp and Fabtech. None held up very well. I'm also looking for other options that will work with my 6" lift other than spending ridiculous money on a set of King's or something.
Contact Melissa at H2R Distributing in Surrey - they are the Fox Distributor for Western Canada, very competitive pricing, I think about 170 per shock for a +2" length for mine. And they are rebuildable. Hope this helps.

Reactions: LBZ

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contact Melissa at H2R Distributing in Surrey - they are the Fox Distributor for Western Canada, very competitive pricing, I think about 170 per shock for a +2" length for mine. And they are rebuildable. Hope this helps.
It does thanks!!

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Fox 2.0s lasted one alberta winter before leaking their guts out.

Bilstein 5100s, very happy.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Fox 2.0s lasted one alberta winter before leaking their guts out.

Bilstein 5100s, very happy.
Might have had the wrong oil in them. I know most rebuildable shocks have a temp range for the oil in them and manufacturers like King ask what the temp range you will be running them in so they get the proper stuff put in.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have had the wrong oil in them. I know most rebuildable shocks have a temp range for the oil in them and manufacturers like King ask what the temp range you will be running them in so they get the proper stuff put in.
Not a clue, but can't afford to have a truck down over a couple hundred dollars in shocks. So I put the foxs in the bin and put 5100s on. The shock shafts were also beat up pretty good on the foxs. If I were to do it again.... ensure the right oil was in them and shock boots.

I also called Fox for warranty as it fell within the 1 year and they told me a 6 week turnaround once arrival at their facility... Couldn't find parts for them locally either. Just an overall poor experience.

The other thing people need to understand is fox valves them aggressive... Ive heard lots of complaints that they ride rough. If you are going to drive aggressive.... foxs. If highway driving... 5100s IMO

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Even the yellow Bilsteins are awesome! That's what I had in my last truck, and boy did it ride 1394885883 times nicer than the stockers. And I replaced them at about 40K too. I put the silver 5100's in my lifted Jeep TJ, and again, couldn't have been happier. I won't run anything else going forward.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I think I will look at Bilsteins.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My stock shocks are toast on my 2011 3500, who sells Bilsteins in Edmonton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many km's on your truck?

Id be interested in upgrading too. Let us know where and what price, maybe a group discount?

Top Bottom