2008 Dodge 6.7 Cummins Engine Brake Whine

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My truck started to whine when I turn on the engine brake!It never used to!I changed the exhaust gas filter on top of the engine (200$) because it had the perform service message come up on the screen!I have 130 000km on the truck.Is there a broken line or do I have to remove the valve assembly and clean it?

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My truck started to whine when I turn on the engine brake!It never used to!I changed the exhaust gas filter on top of the engine (200$) because it had the perform service message come up on the screen!I have 130 000km on the truck.Is there a broken line or do I have to remove the valve assembly and clean it?

If its whining like a turbo whine. thats normal. Its creating extra back pressure and spinning the turbo very quickly as the vane position changes, hence slowing the vehicle down.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not turbo noise.It squeals even at idle when I hit button to turn on brake.Then squeals when slowing down and brake engages.It never used to make noise so I am starting to think I have a leak somewhere.Also I see some guys remove the valve and put in a delete kit.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Ric. He did the delete on my truck. Best thing I ever did. Improved my mileage and power on my 6.7.

Sherwood Park Service.

464 6000

Last edited:

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably an exhaust leak somewhere. Same thing happened on my father in laws 07 when he had it. Not sure where his leak actually was but if it gets worse with the brake it's probably upstream of the turbo.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

nosaj82

Reaction score
There is a Cummins form online with loads of info. You might be able to find some good info that will point you in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ440x

Reaction score

I know what's wrong. It's the liner in the hose connected to Hydro boost system. Let me know if this link works for you. It happened to me a few months back. An easy fix.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rsV78-X2jWM

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold. Probably number 5 or 6 hole. Buddy's '08 did it for months till he finally went looking for it. New gasket fixed it.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the gaskets on the EGR cooler, had 3 work trucks that have each had them replaced twice. It makes the turbo squeal really loud with the exhaust brake active, and it would even do it under hard acceleration with the turbo at full boost.

northof40

Reaction score
Exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold. Probably number 5 or 6 hole. Buddy's '08 did it for months till he finally went looking for it. New gasket fixed it.

Likely this^^. Either cracked manifold or gasket leaking, Many that were left with emissions systems intact were prone to cracking or gaskets blowing on the earlier models. They see some very high temps during a regen.

Top Bottom