2006 REV Checkover before season..... WTF OVER!!!!!!!!!!! Take 2

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
HEY ALL, NEW TO SITE, FIGURED ID GET THE BEST USE OUT OF ER FIRST TIME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I finally tied into the ol REV and decided to pull motor and do top end on er, as the motor was pulled i decided to closely investigate WHY my left ski is about 2 inches( maybe 1 1/2) pushed back than the right... Ya the sled probably did hit comething, just wasnted to find out where its all bent....Heres what i found so far....

IMG00447-20111027-1303.jpg Where my finger is , is right on the opposite side where you would find the piece of 90 degree Aluminum, you can see the "BOW" in the Aluminum as well as the A-arm bolt actually Dimpled the Aluminum right by my finger... Heres a pic of the 90 degree piece of Aluminum the A-arm mounts to......... IMG00470-20111106-1643.jpg

As the sled rides it doesnt pull left or right, goes straight and has no issues, just want to know if I can repair easily enough...... I was thinking of removing lower A-arm, using some sort of bolt with Eye loopp on head, tie bolt into factory location of A-arm bolt, tie to a porta-Press to it, put tension on, and gently tap the bottom of bent piece until it starts go straighten out.... I figure once this is semi straight, the ski's should be closer to alignment.... any imput guys???? From the bent piece to tip of skis is a long way and a small bent can be exaggerated by the time the visual result is seen....

IMG00448-20111027-1517.jpg Here you can see somewhat of a bend or crease, but Im thinking its more cosmetic than anything else..... Scraped a rock or something........

IMG00462-20111030-1900.jpg Heres 10hrs of cleaning and polishing lol!!!!!!!! IMG00450-20111027-1519.jpg

IMG00452-20111028-1104.jpg Now, heres the right side....... IMG00454-20111028-1106.jpg This is a pic where the Upper Right A-arm mounts, just on the opposite side in ares where Can usually goes...... There is a 1'' long crack that has formed,seems to me that its a weak point on the REV, as right on the opposite side (left-side) the Metal Motor mount helps to reinforce the left side.... Does not seem to be a bend or twist on right side, just seems to me to be a stress crack, I simply made a reinforcement plate out of one of the ol-mans Aluminum Grain Shovel and Riveted on the inside-side of the bulkhead.... My question is if this "crack" is common.... Is there a "Reinforcement kit" that a guy can purchase to remedy this issue??? My own plate should do for now, but if there is an easier way to do so I would......

Thanks for your time guys..... Really appreciate the input that I get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy sledding this 2011/2012 season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG00444-20111026-1956.jpg
    IMG00444-20111026-1956.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG00446-20111026-2138.jpg
    IMG00446-20111026-2138.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 366

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
BOY IM GLAD THIS WORKED!!!!!!!! Hope the pics help out in answers..... THANKS again guys and gals

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To help stop the crack drill a small hole (1/8") at the crack that will help stop it from going any farther. But that is a easy crack to get to, I would get it welded up if I was you.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The nun is tweaked, fairly common for a Rev if you have ever whacked something good.

The cracked piece I would replace or repair. It will possibly continue to crack unless fixed. As far as the nun goes, if you do not have any negative effects when riding it, leave it. You can try and put things back into place. I have used 2x4's, chains, presses, even considered frame machines on my '04. Sometimes a little knock to straighten things works, sometimes not. The more you force something back, the greater chance to weaken something you will want to take the stress out of the metal as you do anything to it.

I'd just ride it...as soon as you repair or replace you'll whack something else. It doesn't too look bad.

Oh and if you ever want to come polish my sled for several hours while I watch I am sure I can find a few beer for ya!

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
The nun is tweaked, fairly common for a Rev if you have ever whacked something good.

The cracked piece I would replace or repair. It will possibly continue to crack unless fixed. As far as the nun goes, if you do not have any negative effects when riding it, leave it. You can try and put things back into place. I have used 2x4's, chains, presses, even considered frame machines on my '04. Sometimes a little knock to straighten things works, sometimes not. The more you force something back, the greater chance to weaken something you will want to take the stress out of the metal as you do anything to it.

I'd just ride it...as soon as you repair or replace you'll whack something else. It doesn't too look bad.

Oh and if you ever want to come polish my sled for several hours while I watch I am sure I can find a few beer for ya!

Thanks for your input!!!!!!!! Now as for fixing the crack..... From what i read to REPLACE the piece cracked you replace tunnel/bulkhead as one piece!!!! Not likely!!! Can a guy just tig the crack together?????? for now I have a plate riveted to the backside of where the picture shows, used 4 rivets two on each side of crack..... Will try to get fixed, just cant find a simple aluminum tig welder around here....

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
To help stop the crack drill a small hole (1/8") at the crack that will help stop it from going any farther. But that is a easy crack to get to, I would get it welded up if I was you.

Might be coming up to Leduc/Nisku area later next week, anyone here know how to tig???? LOL

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input!!!!!!!! Now as for fixing the crack..... From what i read to REPLACE the piece cracked you replace tunnel/bulkhead as one piece!!!! Not likely!!! Can a guy just tig the crack together?????? for now I have a plate riveted to the backside of where the picture shows, used 4 rivets two on each side of crack..... Will try to get fixed, just cant find a simple aluminum tig welder around here....

Yeah you can weld it. Make sure its someone who is decent at doing so as too much heat I would suspect might lead to weakening it further.

Since you have it apart, check your stearing post at the top where it mounts to the frame for any cracks. Not uncommon for it to have some stress fractures up top.

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
Yeah you can weld it. Make sure its someone who is decent at doing so as too much heat I would suspect might lead to weakening it further.

Since you have it apart, check your stearing post at the top where it mounts to the frame for any cracks. Not uncommon for it to have some stress fractures up top.

Thanks again, Ya the steering post looks to be ok.... Heres another question, I've heard that you can relocate the steering post/ change the angle by moving the post upwards using existing holes and drilling two more... Has anyone heard about this???

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, Ya the steering post looks to be ok.... Heres another question, I've heard that you can relocate the steering post/ change the angle by moving the post upwards using existing holes and drilling two more... Has anyone heard about this???

Ive heard this as well, just havent commited to doing the mod

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
Noone knows of any aftermarket Bracing for the REVS on the right side of bulkhead????

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I traced out a template and got my own brace made for the mag side of the bulkhead. Brad the mechanic at Trackside says its the answer for the revs. When i get some free time i will post a pic of it.

Last edited:

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
I traced out a template and got my own brace made for the mag side of the bulkhead. Brad the mechanic says its the answer for the revs. When i get some free time i will post a pic of it.

OH DUDE THAT WOULD BE AWESOME..... For now i do have a tiny brace, but would like to tig the crack, and then do a full reinforcememt from the front cooler all the way to where the NUN mounts..... THANKS AGAIN MAN!!! Cant wait for the pics!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
Bulkhead stiffener.jpg I found this Brace Kit for a 440,BUT It doesnt look like the bracing will do anything for my issue..... IMG00454-20111028-1106.jpg j

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yup, i did this, i love it now. i have the base model adrenaline bars, and a 2 inch riser block. with this mod i figure it was about another 2 inches.
its pretty much the same as my buddies x with a 10 inch riser.

it makes you ride a bit further forward as well as a result, some might not like that though...

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
Found this Writeup on a 2004..... Possibly could be the solution to most REV Strength issues..... DEFINATELY gonna try a few of these Ideas for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2004 Rev Renegade 800 HO
It had hit something which had brought the "nun" back on the left and damaged the bulkhead. A person could have straightened it, but I decided to replace the nun so I could fix some of the other components better. It also gave me an excuse to use a bunch of 440 sno cross pieces!
Most of the sled tore apart. I had not intended on pulling the engine, that is why it is still in there. I did end up pulling it to enable installation of rivets for the center engine bracket.​
Stock nun on the left, 440 nun on the right. Note the extra bracing.​

Showing the plate behind the nun. Replacing the nun allowed replacement of this item.

Some damage that I did not expect. This is after I have pulled it out.

I replaced the inner brace with a new one.

,And then to add some strength I added a second modified brace to the outside.

The new panel being fitted.

The Nun and other parts being test fitted.

One of the 440 braces that I added.

The removal of the standard mag side brace. The chaincase has to be removed to install the new brace.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the brace i built for my Rev. Hopefully it helps you out.

Attachments

• DSCF2153.jpg
    DSCF2153.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF2152.jpg
    DSCF2152.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF2157.jpg
    DSCF2157.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 71

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to the Dootalk site-stuff by dootalkers. See the first add up-this is the bulkhead reinforsement kit made by wwracer. I got this kit for my sons 07 rev last year. I would recommend it for all revs.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welding that crack wont help. You need to makes something up and rivit it on or just leave it. Drill the end of the crack as someone else has said.

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
Go to the Dootalk site-stuff by dootalkers. See the first add up-this is the bulkhead reinforsement kit made by wwracer. I got this kit for my sons 07 rev last year. I would recommend it for all revs.

Cannot find what you are talking about.... Am on webpage but cannot find ad thay i have ti click on to get to the reinforcement piece.... thx

Top Bottom