2005 RT1000 ugly pistons

bigtim

Reaction score
i recently picked up a 05 rt1000. have a no start issue right now, that im not worried about. my pistons are skuffed up and intake is VERY dirty. the skuffing(for lack of a better term) looks to me like a little more than dusting. do these sleds have cooling issues or a history of being unreliable? any info would be greatly appriciated! thanks

tim

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my understanding they are alot like the 900 poo you either liked them or hate them. Had a couple buddies who had them, and blew cranks in them. But never owned one myself

bigtim

Reaction score
fair enough. hoping this machine will be a good thing. when your buddies blew their cranks, was that simply bearing failure or did they have a bad crankshaft design?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crankshafts went out due to the dusting the from belt dust they get from the poor seal of the inner and outer airbox.

bigtim

Reaction score
hope i caught this in time. a pair of pistons and bearings is a lot cheaper than a whole motor. any other notorious problems with these that you know of?

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hope i caught this in time. a pair of pistons and bearings is a lot cheaper than a whole motor. any other notorious problems with these that you know of?

Wish I could help you out but I can't besides....I had the exact same machine....got rid of it after 2 yrs and 2100 km's. Only issue I had was a computer problem. Good luck.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I have the '06 and immediately put the timbersled fresh air intake system on it, which includes air filters, pre-filter covers, and deflector plate etc........ This prevents the clutch dust from getting into the engine. Otherwise, there are several other kits available out there, as well, to help direct fresh air into the engine, as the factory seal isn't the greatest.....
I've driven mine hard and have had no problems, with the exception of the crankshaft bearing piling up and destroying the engine, but that was covered under warranty a few years back.....
Generally these are very strong engines, with the right additions, and programming, so get used to the arm stretching acceleration and torque these things produce. Clutching is key on these big sleds. You should "float" the secondary too, to keep the clutches aligned to prevent heat buildup.... Will also help with the clutch dust.
Enjoy the sled!!!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plumb in the T-stat from an 08 XP 800 and keep it a consistent temp as well.

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 renegade 1000 4000KM the only issue i had battery went dead it wouldn,t run charged the battery all was good i noticed it viberates alot more then my 800,s between 2 to 4000 rpm,s but smooths out after that i,m going to check mine for the dusting issue.Pretty amazing technology i brought mine to the shop for servicing in the fall they gave me a printout of percentages the machine ran at certain rpms,how many faults,over revs,temps good luck with your machine you will enjoy the power.

bigtim

Reaction score
this is great information i appriciate the help!!! wheres the best place to pick up the aftermarket intake system, and other parts. i think this may be a boring summer... itll be awsome to finally get that 162 in some real snow. thanks again
tim

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
this is great information i appriciate the help!!! Wheres the best place to pick up the aftermarket intake system, and other parts. I think this may be a boring summer... Itll be awsome to finally get that 162 in some real snow. Thanks again
tim

i bought my timbersled set-up directly from Timbersled Products

Attachments

• 180-8033_IMG.jpg
    180-8033_IMG.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 180-8034_IMG.jpg
    180-8034_IMG.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 43
  • 180-8035_IMG.jpg
    180-8035_IMG.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 180-8036_IMG.jpg
    180-8036_IMG.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 180-8037_IMG.jpg
    180-8037_IMG.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 1000 SHINE1.jpg
    1000 SHINE1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 114

bigtim

Reaction score
wow, nice rig! ill look timbersled up and get one ordered, looks a lot nicer than the stock lego blocks in there. what do you run for reeds?

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
wow, nice rig! Ill look timbersled up and get one ordered, looks a lot nicer than the stock lego blocks in there. What do you run for reeds?

just stock right now, but will be changing them out this summer;), along with new head domes, big single pipe, tuner, modified programmer and 174" track.....

Top Bottom