2004 Ford Issues

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Daughters bf has a 2004 f150 5l engine and he was told the cam followers are the problem with engine anybody know about this.

77Crash77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run. Run far and fast. It's a common issue in the 5.4. There are a few aftermarket fixes for it now. Look up cam phaser lockout. Loses a bit of power, and a bit noisy. But from Ford it's about a $5000 job to fix the Cam phasers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Honestly..... try doing an oil change and putting 10w30 oil or 15w40 oil in it. I've had GREAT luck with this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

I agree... Give it a try, what do you have to lose, other than at least a g-note or more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run. Run far and fast. It's a common issue in the 5.4. There are a few aftermarket fixes for it now. Look up cam phaser lockout. Loses a bit of power, and a bit noisy. But from Ford it's about a $5000 job to fix the Cam phasers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Sounds like what he was describing they took it to Ontario and back last summer made it local dealer told him it was a very uncommon problem.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly..... try doing an oil change and putting 10w30 oil or 15w40 oil in it. I've had GREAT luck with this.

Sounds like a job for the old STP treatment and only drive in summer time. Good thing i
the truck was almost given to him and was told it was the problem. So what is the major cost labor or parts the truck in in very good shape otherwise.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Driving in the summer only will NOT help. The problem is the piss thin oil thins out so much when the engine gets hot, that the oil pressure drops and causes the issues.

It's a labor intensive job, for sure, but parts aren't the cheapest either.

I'm not gonna lie. Replacing the cam phasers is the "right" fix, however, if you stick with that chitty 5w20 oil, it'll likely just happen again.

We've had good luck changing out the oil for thicker stuff, and haven't had a single one come back.

If I were to buy a new vehicle today that specified 5w20 oil, there is NO way I'd use it. At a minimum, I'd go to a full synthetic 5w30. The only possible downfall is MAYBE a tiny bit reduced fuel economy.

Last edited:

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't speak of the 5.4 issues but have heard great things about Archoil and Rev-X, both librication additives.., used with great success with injector stiction issues on the 6.0l diesel, supposed to have multiple uses for improving oil/power steering/diff 'lubricity', just thought I'd mention it.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running thicker oil will help help if its a problem due to low oil pressure quite common on the 5.4. Low oil pressure noise on these is a rattle that happens only when hot and it will start to run like chit when it happens, Replacing the vct solenoids with the updated parts also helps this problem there is a tsb for it (AS LONG AS THERE IS NO WEAR ON THE CAM BEARING SURFACE AND ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING UNDER 15PSI HOT IDLE OIL PRESSURE) . 2004 are super easy to due as you dont even have to pull the valve covers cause the hole is big enough to get the solenoid through, parts are prob under $300.

If it is making this noise and running like chit as soon as you start it or it happens cold you most likely have a VCT solenoid problem. The screens on the solenoids break off due to contaminants in oil going through them and then the solenoid jams up.

The third noise/problem is the cam phaser knock, happens hot and is a steady deep sounding knock that comes from the front of the valve cover no running concerns are normally present with this noise its just annoying and the only fix is a $1000 worth of phasers.

Last edited:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I thought I would post cause I am fixing one of these things right now. For any one that thinks they have a fix aka patch job the real fix is here.
You can physically see the difference between the two solenoids. The center section has been redesigned to prevent the 5.4 death rattle. I have literally changed 50+ sets of these and not a single one has ever come back. The only time this won't work is if the heads are damaged from oil starvation. Easy to see once a cam cap is removed once valve cover is off.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom