13 pro precautionary measure till polaris possably recalls the driveshafts

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya; I guess I did. No; I haven't been out with a '13 with a riveted drive shaft. My point is riding a sled with minimal load on the drive train on flat ground does nothing to ensure that a part will not fail under the regular stress put on a sled during normal mountain riding. I'm not saying that I think it is stupid or anything like that to go rip up and down the ditch a few times if it makes a guy feel better; but you will not be able to duplicate a hard WFO climb in 4' of pow anywhere but where these sleds were meant to be ridden. :beer:

Bingoooo

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the bandaid Tyson.. is there need to put it on both sides or just the drive (right side when sitting on the sled) side?

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know about you guys, but I still wouldnt be comfortable knowing I have a bandaid fix on my brand new sled way back in the hills where chopper is the only way out. Shi..y as it is, if polaris isnt going to fix it properly, then I would likely be doing it myself(new shaft). Maybe pick one of those old 900's up, or a blown up Draggin (must be a few of those around?) and use the shaft from it if I had too. But that is just me wanting to ride.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know about you guys, but I still wouldnt be comfortable knowing I have a bandaid fix on my brand new sled way back in the hills where chopper is the only way out. Shi..y as it is, if polaris isnt going to fix it properly, then I would likely be doing it myself(new shaft). Maybe pick one of those old 900's up, or a blown up Draggin (must be a few of those around?) and use the shaft from it if I had too. But that is just me wanting to ride.

Wheres the 910 ????

kleverbeaver

Reaction score
as i can see, the hexigon driveshaft wall thickness is too thin, the glue has nothing to do with it!!! the glue should not be allowed in this place on the sled!! the aluminum thin wall will not support the twist from the belt drive, the lighter belt drive responds quicker, more torque being put on the end of the driveshaft, polaris was only thinking of saving weight, POLARIS, GET THE NEW DRIVESHAFTS COMING!!!!!

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as i can see, the hexigon driveshaft wall thickness is too thin, the glue has nothing to do with it!!! the glue should not be allowed in this place on the sled!! the aluminum thin wall will not support the twist from the belt drive, the lighter belt drive responds quicker, more torque being put on the end of the driveshaft, polaris was only thinking of saving weight, POLARIS, GET THE NEW DRIVESHAFTS COMING!!!!!

Why don't you phone Polaris and explain to them how the F'd up. You seem to be well informed.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Why don't you phone Polaris and explain to them how the F'd up. You seem to be well informed.

If that driveshaft was welded or a solid piece with no joint, there would not be an issue. The guy's right......glue is ok in some applications but not in a high stress area. Do you honestly think that the driveshaft if proven to be ok for the length of the warranty period, would not fail when you least expected it to? The sled should last 4-5 years.....will the glued aluminum driveshaft?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that driveshaft was welded or a solid piece with no joint, there would not be an issue. The guy's right......glue is ok in some applications but not in a high stress area. Do you honestly think that the driveshaft if proven to be ok for the length of the warranty period, would not fail when you least expected it to? The sled should last 4-5 years.....will the glued aluminum driveshaft?

You have no more proof that it will fail than that it won't. You have no proof that the glued shaft is a bad idea. If you've been reading every post like I have you would know that not all have problems. Is it just a bad bonding problem? there is no proof that it is or it isn't. Is it a bad design? well its not what I would do but I'm not working for Polaris so My thoughts don't mean anything. Will I put a clamp on it? you bet why wouldn't you want more insurance. Personally I think you might be surprised what this glue will hold. It is not new technology. Have a look at your new truck its full of glue.

I think that there testing showed that it will hold and they have not found why there is some failures. Not all the sleds have hit the snow and not all have failed. Its to soon for anybody to say if its a few shafts that need to be replaced as they break under warranty or a total design flaw that should be a recall. One thing for certain is this might not be a place to try and lose weight but what do I know. I just ride the dam things.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
You have no more proof that it will fail than that it won't. You have no proof that the glued shaft is a bad idea. If you've been reading every post like I have you would know that not all have problems. Is it just a bad bonding problem? there is no proof that it is or it isn't. Is it a bad design? well its not what I would do but I'm not working for Polaris so My thoughts don't mean anything. Will I put a clamp on it? you bet why wouldn't you want more insurance. Personally I think you might be surprised what this glue will hold. It is not new technology. Have a look at your new truck its full of glue.

I think that there testing showed that it will hold and they have not found why there is some failures. Not all the sleds have hit the snow and not all have failed. Its to soon for anybody to say if its a few shafts that need to be replaced as they break under warranty or a total design flaw that should be a recall. One thing for certain is this might not be a place to try and lose weight but what do I know. I just ride the dam things.

I agree, lots of glue in the trucks, holding doors on....windows in, etc.... just don't think it should be holding stressfull parts like a driveshaft together. My point was and still is; Whats the deal when the warranty runs out and shafts fail because of glue? Are you willing to risk another helicopter ride out for a part that might be ok for now but how about as the glue ages?
Next thing we will see is glue holding cranks together......just hope Doo doesn't do it....they have enough issues in that department......lol

By the way.... I HAVE read every post on this issue..... Polaris was long tattoed on my ass 20 years ago......:rolleyes:

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, lots of glue in the trucks, holding doors on....windows in, etc.... just don't think it should be holding stressfull parts like a driveshaft together. My point was and still is; Whats the deal when the warranty runs out and shafts fail because of glue? Are you willing to risk another helicopter ride out for a part that might be ok for now but how about as the glue ages?
Next thing we will see is glue holding cranks together......just hope Doo doesn't do it....they have enough issues in that department......lol

Again who knows whether the glue won't hold when it ages. I just don't think that one of the four companies fighting for a piece of the market hasn't put some thought into what they manufacture and sell. I'm not saying that is was smart. The structure load of glued parts on a vehicle during an impact or crash has to meet a higher standard than a few drive shafts on snowmobiles and its done everyday.

Billst

Reaction score
Hello every one, got my pro out today for the first time, north of Fort St John, went out with 4 more guys, I'm the only one in the group on 13 pro and every one asking "did you get spare shaft"? well no I don't! Put 30 Km on the sled, wasn't to hard on it. enjoyed the new ride, Got home alright, let my 15 year old boy to take spine on the field by the house and guess what, few minutes let he walks in the house saying daad?!?! Well I kind of knew what happened. So got it into the shop and sure enough it's the drive shaft.

Billst

Reaction score
image.jpg

Here is the picture of the failed drive shaft at 30 km.

CMB70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the looks of the picture, is it the glue or not enough meat to hold the torque?

• Recommends
Reactions: win
Top Bottom