13 pro precautionary measure till polaris possably recalls the driveshafts

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i didnt post this thread for anyone to do the same tot their sled if you dont want to, it is MY way of reassuring myself that i can still go riding and not be as worried about it spinning inside, you know what about the warranty possable issues of polaris replacing the shaft if it ever spins, i dont think that will be a issue because if there is actually a problem with their design they will recall the sleds and wont care whats done to the shaft, when your sled has a recall on it for a specific part that may fail it doesnt matter if the part is good or crap at that time, it gets replaced anyway!! i know cause i am the service manager of a polaris dealership so dont be concerned about that..

I agree, when this issue came up with the doo's, it was a safety recall and was done no matter what.....mine was done a year later.

Alwayswar

Reaction score
Today I received my shaft re-enforcement clamps from RK Tek, and I'll have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The pics that are on the website make them look like a piece of strap wrapped around the shaft, but is definiatly not the case. Look a lot like some others I've seen, but better balanced (both halves are identical). Thanks RK Tek

Alwayswar

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg
Also double as handcuffs.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those are much better pictures than Kelsey has on his site. they looked liked a band bent in a vice instead of the nice billet pieces they are.

Reactions: cs5

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tyson's look better imo.......

Also just my opinion but I like how Tyson's bolt together better, I think you will have less ice build up with his design, any time you have a bolt sticking out ice will attach itself in a hurry. Again this is just my opinion. I looked under there after I got in from a ride last night and it was full of slush anyway so it may be irrelevant. I can see that if I didn't park in a heated garage that shaft would be frozen in by morning. Would be worth tipping it on its side and cleaning it out before you park for the night outside.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after all this hard work creating a fix.. does anyone (looking at people that work at Polaris dealers) have numbers on how many are broken compared to how many were sold?

So far from Calgary area dealers, I heard, not my fact, 13 cases Canada wide. Also the dealer I was at has a few spares in stock just in case they do have one come in and they have yet to use them

Alwayswar

Reaction score
I agree that Tyson's are prettier, but there's a reason why RK flanged the clamp. Aluminum threads tend to stretch and strip quite easily. Both look like they'll do the job.

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after all this hard work creating a fix.. does anyone (looking at people that work at Polaris dealers) have numbers on how many are broken compared to how many were sold?

So far from Calgary area dealers, I heard, not my fact, 13 cases Canada wide. Also the dealer I was at has a few spares in stock just in case they do have one come in and they have yet to use them

Nobody has a clue how many have wrecked everyones just coming up with these fix ideas. pretty sure you are supposed to break the belt drive in for 150kms so its not like you have to worry about picking up your new sled and heading straight to the hills and then busting it immediatly and needing a chopper out. seems like if they break it happens within the first 100km from what i have read. I would just keep it stock and see if it breaks right away or else ride the damn thing! Dont get so worried people.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nobody has a clue how many have wrecked everyones just coming up with these fix ideas. pretty sure you are supposed to break the belt drive in for 150kms so its not like you have to worry about picking up your new sled and heading straight to the hills and then busting it immediatly and needing a chopper out. seems like if they break it happens within the first 100km from what i have read. I would just keep it stock and see if it breaks right away or else ride the damn thing! Dont get so worried people.

This is my point as well. I have talked to a few different dealers in Calgary and area.. The ratio and percentage of this happening is minimal.

I understand that the guys making the parts are looking for a sale.. I am in sales myself so I know the game..

akrevrider

Reaction score
Also just my opinion but I like how Tyson's bolt together better, I think you will have less ice build up with his design, any time you have a bolt sticking out ice will attach itself in a hurry. Again this is just my opinion. I looked under there after I got in from a ride last night and it was full of slush anyway so it may be irrelevant. I can see that if I didn't park in a heated garage that shaft would be frozen in by morning. Would be worth tipping it on its side and cleaning it out before you park for the night outside.

Are you running Tyson Fix Kit on your Pro? If you are running running it how many of the clamps are you using? Seems two clamps would balance it out better IMO.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you running Tyson Fix Kit on your Pro? If you are running running it how many of the clamps are you using? Seems two clamps would balance it out better IMO.

I have not picked it up yet and am not sure if I will or not. I still have time to ride it more at home and I want to see if it is going to fail. I think the Tyson clamp looks great but I want to see if it will work as designed, if I was leaving for the mountains today I would get the clamp for sure.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my point as well. I have talked to a few different dealers in Calgary and area.. The ratio and percentage of this happening is minimal.

I understand that the guys making the parts are looking for a sale.. I am in sales myself so I know the game..

You realize it's November right? 90% of sleds haven't even seen the snow yet. Lets talk about how many failures in the new year and then we can make assumptions like you are that there is no issue.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You realize it's November right? 90% of sleds haven't even seen the snow yet. Lets talk about how many failures in the new year and then we can make assumptions like you are that there is no issue.

Seems to be more and more reports of these sleds getting miles on them with no issues, the ones that are failing do so very quickly. Some guys are reporting that the glue is not hardened on the ones that fail, so it sounds like a production issue with just a few going down. So yah lets talk about this in a few weeks, instead of spreading fear with assumptions that there is more of an issue here than there really may be.

Last edited:

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey I am just trying to find stats... like every other time..

And again.. why sir are you here?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I am just trying to find stats... like every other time..

And again.. why sir are you here?

Because its freaking cold out and I don't want to get our of my warm truck to go do work what does it matter. I'm not bashing just stating a fact that most sleds haven't hit the snow

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be the Devils advocate here but there are 2 things that can happen when an axle breaks. One good, one bad. The axle can spin within itself and coast to a stop or it can break and pile up causing the sled to stop immediately which can throw the rider over the bars. In 2008 alot of the Doo axle failures were on the trail and were more of an inconvienance than anything. Others not so well. Met a chap from the Olds area that had his break on a technical climb sending him over the bars and breaking his femur. Long story short he lost alot of time at work and ended up suing BRP for lost wages and personal injury damages. Last I heard he was at some cash and a free sled for the rest of his life. The point is alot of people are acting like a drive axle failure is just a small inconvienance but in real life, especially for Polaris and transport Canada it is not something to be brushed away. People can get hurt. Just sayn.....

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be the Devils advocate here but there are 2 things that can happen when an axle breaks. One good, one bad. The axle can spin within itself and coast to a stop or it can break and pile up causing the sled to stop immediately which can throw the rider over the bars. In 2008 alot of the Doo axle failures were on the trail and were more of an inconvienance than anything. Others not so well. Met a chap from the Olds area that had his break on a technical climb sending him over the bars and breaking his femur. Long story short he lost alot of time at work and ended up suing BRP for lost wages and personal injury damages. Last I heard he was at some cash and a free sled for the rest of his life. The point is alot of people are acting like a drive axle failure is just a small inconvienance but in real life, especially for Polaris and transport Canada it is not something to be brushed away. People can get hurt. Just sayn.....
I agree 100%. I have a new pro sitting at the dealer and its not going to see the snow until it has a proper permanent fix. Even if that means I have to spend the money to get a new axle, don't like it, shouldn't have to on new sled but to me it is cheap insurance for peace of mind. Vs. chopper recovery or injury. How many peeps go out and spend lots on extras on new sleds anyway, like pipes, can graphics,skis, track, fuel controllers,I guess us poo guys need to add axle to that list.

Top Bottom