120 snowmobile

canucks

Reaction score
looking for opinions;
is 2 1/2 yr old to small for 120 snowmobile

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my first 3 Grand kids on 120's at 2 - 2 1/2. I started them on a battery operated jeep with forward and reverse, we had to stud up the tires to get around outdoor and they got on to the steering concept fast. Also we have an open 160 acres for them to run on so that helped as well. I do have two new riders/grandkids starting this winter and I am going to try to rig up Teth-aires (sp) cordless tether system so maybe I won't have to run as much with these two little buggars. lol... I hope to keep the fob in my pocket and stay within a certain distance for the sled to operate.
Hope this helps

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's a set answer to this. Every child at that age is at a different level of motor skills. My little guy is almost 2 1/2 right now. I'm thinking I might give him a try this season because he did great on a power wheels and a tricycle plus we have a few acres of our own fenced in where he could roam.

rizzman

Reaction score
Every kid is different, but here is my experience with my little guy; we purchased a ZR 120 for him at 3 years old. He crashed it once and was done for the season. He wasn't hurt at all, but he was scared of it. Now he's 4 and he rides the thing pretty hard. He isn't smitten with it like I hoped, but he goes out and rides around our 3 acres and has fun.
Last year his hands were so small, he couldn't modulate the throttle. It was wide open (which isn't much lol) or nothing. He couldn't reach the brake without letting go of the bars. Now that his hands are bigger, he has way more confidence on the machine.
Like Dazzler, my boy had experience on battery operated quads before he started riding the sled.
Just my experience. Hope it helps.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's a set answer to this. Every child at that age is at a different level of motor skills. My little guy is almost 2 1/2 right now. I'm thinking I might give him a try this season because he did great on a power wheels and a tricycle plus we have a few acres of our own fenced in where he could roam.

You are right there.. The two little guys I am starting this winter are the same age (2 1/2) My sons little guy is aka piston head, and he earned that title. My daughters little guy will require a little closer supervision.. but the main thing is they both have an interest in motoring...

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My grandson started at 2 1/2-3 now hes 4 1/2 and wanting to ride my 800 i would say as long as you have a wide open place to ride (no barbwire fences) it should be fine.

canucks

Reaction score
awesome thanks: ya he's got a battery operated gator and steering is no problem, he also is on the second speed on it. The teth-air system sounds like a good idea. We have piles of room as well. Thanks again

Bosshog

Reaction score
I've had both my boys on a polaris 120 when they were 2 they learn fast

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We bought our son a Z120 when he had just turned 3 yrs old. What I did was put a hose clamp on the throttle side grip with the screw tightener turned to block the throttle so he could only go about a 1/3 of wide open. As he got better and older, I simply moved the hose clamp further out to give him more speed. While he was learning, I tied a long rope to the rear bumper and made him drive in circles around me, just like training a horse. Lot less running for me! Even took him out to golden and went on some seldom used trails only this time tied the long rope to his ski hoop and the other end to my rear bumper. Told him to follow me and I rode ahead giving him just a little slack. If he got too close to the edge of the trail I just tightened up the rope and pulled him straight. He's 18 years old now and still rides that Z120 up at the lake! Last year he totally rebuilt it with a bigger engine, custom exhaust, disc brake, handle bar riser, full CVT belt drive and he has it up to about 30 mph! Best sled I have ever bought in terms of fun/hour/dollar. Enjoy, have fun, and stay safe.

Top Bottom