12 f350 6.2

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s not totally accurate depending on year. From 2011 up when they dropped the v10 from the 250’s and 350’s and went to the 6.2 the rear ends in the gassers were 3.73 and 4.3. If you have an F550 with a V10 you might still be able to get a 4.10 but not in anything lighter duty.

Yeah you're right, why anyone would want to run a 4.30 rearend in a 1 ton though is beyond me.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, my '13 only had the two options of 373 or 410 but there was only one truck remaining in western Canada (Prince George) with what I wanted and it had 373's. Driving the Coq pulling the trailer the best I ever did from the lower mainland to Kamloops and vice versa was 32l/100lm.

The more I think on it, 32l isn’t that horrible. It woulda have been a tank and. A half for you to get to kloops?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a '13 loaded Lariat club cab (the suicide doors) 4x4 with an 8' box. I have posted pictures on here on other threads. There are 175,000km on it. Gas mileage is interesting; in the Elk Valley (down by Fernie), I would routinely get in around 18l/100km driving the speed limit and occasionally up to 110kph. We have a 26' holiday trailer with one pull out (6800kg empty) and being honest, I have seen mileage from 26-46 l/100km depending on terrain and wind conditions. When I moved from the Elk Valley to Salmon Arm, the average was 32l/100km. So pulling, the gas mileage isn't good. With 2 sleds and gear, we would be generally somewhere between 20-24l/100km depending on weather/road conditions.

Good motors and our truck has been great. Tires, oil, and gas is all.

That’s cause salmon arm is built on a hill. I always said brake and transmission shops must make a fortune there!

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're right, why anyone would want to run a 4.30 rearend in a 1 ton though is beyond me.

it’s the preferred ratio if you have a gas engine. Definitely not needed if you have one of the newer diesels unless you have an F 550 that’s pulling max weight all the time.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So many options lol, let’s go do this then, in your opinions what truck setup would be ideal for me?

As stated previously my commute to work is about 5k one way, my gym is also 5ish away. During the week im pretty much just work and gym, so we’ll say 20k a day empty. Weekends I’d be using it to haul a deck and two sleds to mcbride 240one way. Summer I’d have my quad on the deck, not travelling near as far though. I’d also use the pickup/quad setup for hunting come fall.

Right now My DD is a 04 Chrysler Pacifica, 4.0lv6. Cost me around $40/ three quarters of a tank to get to mcbride. Ideally I’d like a F-150, but I also really want the ability to have a deck.

budget 20-30k.....I’m not completely opposed to getting something from AB however the inspection stuff has been a deterrent from me looking east, and I’m in no panic to find anything as my pacifica still runs fine.

Down the road I’d like to get an enclosed as well but that’s prob two/three seasons away

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it’s the preferred ratio if you have a gas engine. Definitely not needed if you have one of the newer diesels unless you have an F 550 that’s pulling max weight all the time.

The 6 speed transmission work pretty good, I'd get the 3.73 and run in 5th for the time spent towing. If a person towed all the time I could see a 4.30, but then diesel is by far the best option. Tall rear end ratios is old school thinking from the old 3 and 4 speed transmission days. Modern transmissions with multiple overdrive gears make tall gearing unnecessary IMO.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6 speed transmission work pretty good, I'd get the 3.73 and run in 5th for the time spent towing. If a person towed all the time I could see a 4.30, but then diesel is by far the best option. Tall rear end ratios is old school thinking from the old 3 and 4 speed transmission days. Modern transmissions with multiple overdrive gears make tall gearing unnecessary IMO.

My son has an identical truck to mine, just a few years older with the 3.73. Hauling/towing similar loads he’s typically in one gear lower than I am with the 4.3. Loaded/towing I get about 2mpg better. The 3.73 hauls fine, the 4.3 is just a little more drivable. The new 10 speed in the superdutys sounds like a sweet item and would more so make rear end selection less critical.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son has an identical truck to mine, just a few years older with the 3.73. Hauling/towing similar loads he’s typically in one gear lower than I am with the 4.3. Loaded/towing I get about 2mpg better. The 3.73 hauls fine, the 4.3 is just a little more drivable. The new 10 speed in the superdutys sounds like a sweet item and would more so make rear end selection less critical.

Exactly my point. But what's the difference in empty mileage? I bet his is better.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So many options lol, let’s go do this then, in your opinions what truck setup would be ideal for me?

As stated previously my commute to work is about 5k one way, my gym is also 5ish away. During the week im pretty much just work and gym, so we’ll say 20k a day empty. Weekends I’d be using it to haul a deck and two sleds to mcbride 240one way. Summer I’d have my quad on the deck, not travelling near as far though. I’d also use the pickup/quad setup for hunting come fall.

Right now My DD is a 04 Chrysler Pacifica, 4.0lv6. Cost me around $40/ three quarters of a tank to get to mcbride. Ideally I’d like a F-150, but I also really want the ability to have a deck.

budget 20-30k.....I’m not completely opposed to getting something from AB however the inspection stuff has been a deterrent from me looking east, and I’m in no panic to find anything as my pacifica still runs fine.

Down the road I’d like to get an enclosed as well but that’s prob two/three seasons away

I’m a ford guy so I’d recommend a F 250/350 CCSB, 6.2 gas. It’ll haul/carry the loads you have safer than a half ton with lots of extra capacity for future upgrades. They have a good, reliable power train and will be reasonable on fuel for the driving you’ll be doing.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly my point. But what's the difference in empty mileage? I bet his is better.

It’s not, pretty much identical to mine. Mine is an 18 with the updated engine so maybe that’s the difference. Looking at the ford truck forums most guys are only seeing 1 mpg difference between the 3.73 and 4.3 in the newer trucks.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just buy a truck and don't get hung up on all the small stuff...

Its a truck that is ment to haul stuff,,, then drive it around like a car if there is nothing to pack...

Yes it will burn more fuel then a sewing machine car,,, thats what trucks do... ha...

Either that or get a small car and pull a trailer,,, that works good on hwys and dry gravel roads,,, its the craps in the winter and when its raining on the goat trails deep in the mountains...

Just my 2 cents,,, got to run,,, I need to go to Tim Hortons for a cup of coffee then swing by the store to buy a bag of potato chips,,, full time job keeping my 2 ton Tony shape going...

Lucky I have a truck i can get in and out of with dragging my @$$ on the ground to get behind the wheel... lol

Top Bottom