09 summit popping while running

the_bn

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having problems with my 09 800 summit and looking for some help. I put a new crank and top end in it this fall. I had it out for a ride, It was running well. I made it 45 miles and it lost power and is now popping randomly at any engine speed. It's not coming out of the exhaust, a backfire through the carbs I would think, but I don't really feel any pressure coming out of them. The pto side appears to be rich. It has good compression. I have pulled the top end off and replaced the winderosa base gasket with a ski doo one, everything looked ok. I have tried new plugs, I replaced one wire, it would not snap on to the plug properly. I pulled the fly wheel off to make sure the keyway was still in place. I have checked the resistance and voltage of the pick up coils. I have pulled the carbs apart twice and have not found anything wrong. I have tried running it with various sensors unhooked, I thought maybe it would run it a limp mode and maybe see if the popping would stop. I pulled the dmp off to check and see if it was plugged, and to check if the actuator would work. It will run some what smoothly still, so I am stumped. It may be time to just bite the bullet and take it in, unless anyone has any good advice for me! Thanks for the help!

the_bn

Reaction score
The reads look ok. The pto side plug is black, but signs of coolant.

the_bn

Reaction score
I replaced them when I replaced the base gasket, they looked ok. i'm going to pressure test the engine tonight

the_bn

Reaction score
Ya, I put in redone cylinders in. I pressure tested the engine and it holds 5psi

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had three last year doing same thing. Two had bad plug wires, replaced with ngk. The other had float valve in one of the carbs sticking and loading up with fuel. Check that see what ya find.

the_bn

Reaction score
The reads look ok. The pto side plug is black, but signs of coolant.
Sorry that should have said no signs of coolant.
I pulled the plug wires out and the inside part from the old wires are both stuck in the coil still. I will fix that and try it out.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow..... that would do it. That's rare, not un heard of but rare. How did you determine that?

the_bn

Reaction score
I marked tdc for both pistons on my clutch just to see if they were out, the marks are not even close to 180 degrees apart. It's a reman crank, I didn't think that would have happened. The last thing I checked.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's y lots weld them together.

Problem is makes the crank no good for a core

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As Tex said. Mine is welded for that reason. Better talk to crank supplier I guess.

Top Bottom