08 xp x track swap

fox68sd

Reaction score
Was just wondering is there any tips or tricks to changing track over ? Do i need to replace any seals ,managed to get a 2.5 non ported track.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Was just wondering is there any tips or tricks to changing track over ? Do i need to replace any seals ,managed to get a 2.5 non ported track.

Seals should be ok..... but, when I did mine, I just took it into the dealer.....special tools required and they have done lots and I believe its about a 3 hour job for the dealer.....

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
only special thing you need is the brake caliper puller its less then 2 hrs to someone thats done a few. first time would be a good evening and a few :beer:. Puller from Doo was cheap, and if you smash stuff like me you'll use it again! post here if you have questions I've had mine and buddies out so many times now I getting pretty good at it and I got all the know how from S&M members:beer:

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did mine this year, if you have air tools it'll make your life easier if you can spin the skid bolts out fast enough to not need to use the locking nut technique. Pull the chain case apart and remove the lower gear. You'll have to pull the break pads, unlock the caliper bracket (it turns 1/4 inch or so and slides off the back side) then comes the fun part of getting the bearing out of the tunnel, you can try the old hammer/baseball bat/pry bar method or go to doo for the tool. I went no tool and got everything out fairly easily, but if I wasn't doing it at 10pm on a Thursday night, leaving for the mountains the next morning I would go get the tool. I think I heard someone say it was ~40 bucks?

75crew

Reaction score
It's way too much work. You should really just give the track to me, and I heard Johnny was 'helping' (breaking stuff). Seriously when are you doing this? I should help so I can do mine next year.

charic09

Reaction score
only special thing you need is the brake caliper puller its less then 2 hrs to someone thats done a few. first time would be a good evening and a few :beer:. Puller from Doo was cheap, and if you smash stuff like me you'll use it again! post here if you have questions I've had mine and buddies out so many times now I getting pretty good at it and I got all the know how from S&M members:beer:

I just changed the track on my 09 and noticed the bottom sprocket was a little wobblie is this normal? Its like inside to outside play none up and down. I didn't notice if it was like that when I took the old track off any ideas?

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just changed the track on my 09 and noticed the bottom sprocket was a little wobblie is this normal? Its like inside to outside play none up and down. I didn't notice if it was like that when I took the old track off any ideas?

yup mine the same and all the ones I've seen move a little.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is not that hard to do, just have to be patience.First time is always a pain. The only special tool I needed was a big snap ring pliers that I got from a friend to get the snap ring off the brake. I did not swap the track, i had to change the drive axle cause I bent mine. But pretty much the same work needs to be done to do either.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a question, How do you get the brake disc off the shaft? Caliper doesnt have enough room in it to wiggle the disc out

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to pull the disc and caliper as one. Undo the caliper mount bolts threw the disc slots and pull off the snap ring. It is a crappy design IMO, but doo is trying to go light weight.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you try the next biggest torex on some of those bolts, its easy to use one size too small. I think its 40 for the caliper ones.

Top Bottom