08 trx 450 starter and clutch help

Pony1288

Reaction score
I am havin problems with my trx. It doesn't like to start when it's cold. It only really starts on a charger or if you push start it. Any ideas? And when it's cold it doesn't like to idle well. And when the quad is cold and you take it for a small ride. You hold the clutch it still tries to move and kills itself. Or when you hold the clutch when it's off in gear it won't roll or move. The gear still catches. Advice would be nice. Thanks

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Far as your clutch goes I would say the cable is stretched and just needs adjustment. Or the fingers on clutch basket are notched from the plates and not releasing properly anymore. As for the starting issues, probably your battery is done. Won't take a charge or hold it. Probably got froze at one point in time.

Last edited:

Pony1288

Reaction score
Honda went with a shim over bucket style for the valves. So if you ever have a problem with it you have to adjust the valves either adding shims or removing. I only had 19 psi of compression. And as it turned out my motor wash basically done so I got a new top end. As far as clutching. My cable broke not long after and my clutch packs are worn. Careful what you buy on Kijiji I guess

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard starting can be an indication that the valves are out of adjustment .
It has been stated that this motor uses shims to adjust valve clearance.
A shop manual will give the clearance specs . and can be checked with feeler
gauges, after valve cover removal . Agreed the battery is done . The $40 battery
you can get for these are not worth the hassle . Get a good one. With no back up
kicker, push starting gets old quickly .

Pony1288

Reaction score
Battery was perfect. It was just the valves which were extremely easy to adjust.

Top Bottom