'07 Rev won't rev

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't use it at all last year, just loaned it to a friend for one weekend and he said it worked awesome. Started it up last week and it fired up after 5-6 pulls.

Won't however, pull over 7000 rpms on the trackstand. Not knowing any history of the last ride, I'm not really sure where to start? Anybody got any ideas? Want to sell it but need it running right first.

Not the original motor, had one installed by a reputable shop the year before and it worked flawless for me for 5-600 miles.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check all rave hoses.

all the rave parts not just hoses... mine did this the other year and was told to clean raves valves when i took them apart the below on one was tore

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shameless cut and paste from Tuning Applications
Might be the problem:

Installed a clutch kit - Engine not revving enough...(on trackstand)
I. N. Quisitivetuner; Yesterday I way playing around installing the flyweights. I run the sled on the stand and I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt pull more rpm's.
Joe's 600 setup sheet said to run 24.5g and I can't get more than 7300. So I'm now down to 18g and it still won't rev past 7500 and clickers are on 4.
I think if it won't turn 8200 on a warm up stand, the engine won't turn 8200 ever. I mean, that's how I used to check my other sleds & it seem to work good.

Joe writes:
The kit is not designed to provide correct rpms only having to rotate a 40 lb track.
...and if you were to try the kit on a track dyno it will still reveal a few less hp at the track than stock clutching. On a track dyno you are accelerating your track weight, plus the weight of the 150~250 lb inertia wheel.

The clutch kit is calibrated to provide correct rpms when:
1] The track is engaged with the ground
2] The sled is on snow
3] In winter months
and
4] Engine provides best power because...it's...cold...outside. [best relative air density for engine power]

I. N. Quisitivetuner; Well wouldnt it still pull 8200 rpm's in summer & it isn't that much especially when it has nothing to resist it.

Joe writes:
Resistance will increase rpms.
Add up the 4 points I mention above 1] + 2] + 3] = "Resistance" Add 4] in there with "engine has more power" and the rpms will further increase.

When you have resistance, the engine has no choice but to increase rpms, the resistance "Stalls the shift of the primary clutch"
One side of the secondary sees the ground and all of it's possible loads - The other side of the secondary sees the push from the engine "primary clutch".

The secondary "Converts" power from the engine and applies it to the dynamic loads the calibration is "supposed to see". [everything you can think of including track weight]

The load from the ground will increase resistance in the secondary vs. the push from the primary = Will increase rpms.
IF You are running 18g right now on the stand and cannot get over 7500,
THEN take it off the stand and go for a ride across the grass right now
RESULTS and you'll reveal high rpms "overrev" and lack of acceleration after like 50 feet.

Remember; Your kit was calibrated for bumps, snow loads-heavy/fluff, dips, hardpack, suspension part wear.
When you have your sled, suspended in the air, the bumps, snow loads...etc etc, don't exist - You are only accelerating a 40 lb track.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did buddy re fill with gas he had laying around from the year before? Dump / suck out the gas and re fill with Prem fuel. I bought a sled from a friend, got it home couldnt drive it across the yard. after trying 15 different things...its was just old chitty gas!....4 days later!

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fresh gas and plugs, will check the rave valves.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fresh gas and plugs, will check the rave valves.

check to see if it had the updated raves............ they break off and fug the motor..... 140.00 for the par of updated ones from turps......

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
The RAVE impulse line going the the solenoid on the MAG carb is off.
Cut off the excess hose prutruding past the clamp and re crimp the line with side cutters.
Chances are if you have oil spray on the carbs.

And always clean your RAVES at least once a season-preferably before summer storage.

toml

Reaction score
take it off the stand and rip it, then see what RPM you are pulling. Put some load on the track

Top Bottom