07 rev backfires and won't start

660canuck

Reaction score
My neighbour brought his sled(07 rev 800r) over to me because he couldn't get it to start. He said that last season he had a problem starting it and getting it to idle. He said once it was running it pulled strong all day, but he had to feather the throttle to keep it idling. He is guilty of leaving old gas in with no stabil the last couple summers so I assumed that the carb and jets were just plugged up. I pulled the carbs and cleaned them up and put them back in. It didn't want to start, back firing every 5-6 pulls so I put a little gas in the cylinders and it fired up but would die if you let off the gas. I figured maybe I missed something in the carbs so I pulled them out again. I cleaned them very thoroughly this time, gave the carbs a soak in my parts washer, blew out all the passages, and cleaned the jets. Put them back in and it still won't start, tried gas in the cylinder and it almost starts, idles for half a second and dies. When I choke it it seems to backfire more, which seems strange because I thought a lean condition caused backfiring? This sled only has 600km on it, new gas in the tank, and new plugs. Any idea as to whats causing it to backfire? Any help would be most appreciated because he is supposed to leave for Revy on tuesday.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
reeds are worn out and or are chipped. wont suck enough air to pull the fuel.

x2 check reeds...... needs impulse to suck fuel from cylinder via reeds open closed.... does it back fire throught the carbs?

660canuck

Reaction score
It backfires out the pipe. I'll check the reeds, and report back. Thanks

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
Id pull the head and or the Y-pipe off and make sure the pistons dont move up at the same time AT ALL. It may have spun the crank index.

660canuck

Reaction score
My neighbor took it to the dealer. Motor is done, now he has t fight with BRP to try and get it warrantied. Looks like it is new engines for both of us!

Top Bottom