07 M1000 Still using antifreeze???

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question for all or any mechanic's out there. My 07 M1000 started burning antifreeze (you could smell it when you first start it and when I took the head off you could see the top of the piston was washed), so I installed new O rings put it back together and it was still burning it when first started after sitting for a couple of days. I have taken it apart again this week took the head into a machine shop to have it checked and it was out just a little over .002 of an inch. Talked with the local Cat Dealer and was told that is not enough to make it leak, to check the base gaskets, so rather than checking I purchased and installed the base gaskets, installed the O rings on cylinders with some hit temp gasget gunk (suggested by the dealer) and put everything back together. When I first started it yetserday in the garage after it sitting since Thursday you can still smell the burning antifreeze. Well rode it yesterday and after filling the anifreeze bottle twice during the ride (figure it was working it's way thru the system) it was empty again this morning. Sorry little bit of a rant anyway the question is does anyone know the amount tolerable for a head to be warped before it needs to be machined, dealer says that you should be able to run up to .005 without issue and they have only seen a couple that have required it over the years? also has anyone had one that required it done, (do not know of a time when it would have got hot enough to warp) or any other suggestions

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you using a good torque wrench? Correct tighting sequence? Torque it, warm it up and torque again.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure its not leaking in somewhere else, maybe lower down in the case?

Sounds like its not the head though. If it's leaking at the head, usually the compression will pressurize the cooling system and the coolant will start to turn black from the combusted vapours getting into it. Usually there is a noticeable leak spot on the head as well.

POWSHREDDER69

Reaction score
If u have access to a pressure tester, pressurize the system and remove the spark plugs and u should be able to see down into the cylinders, if u had a scope would also be helpful to pinpoint the leak.
the head will leak if it is out .002 and is not torqued down in the proper sequence or to the proper torque. like dude said make sure your torque wrench is accurate, another thing to check would be the head bolts for stretch, compare to new one with a dial indicator, i know on deisels that is important upon reassembly.
good luck:d

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This water pump seal thing is got me thinking, I am going to remove the skid plate tomorrow, apparently there is a bleed hole around the water pump casting and if there is any sign of antifreeze in the area the seal is to be changed as it will leak internally.

Top Bottom