'06 summit 550F

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
Last spring I picked ups couple of these little gems for the kids to ride. Never thought to check the main jets till they started to act up after about 800Km. Found they both still had factory jets in them. One of them has a cylinder that is fairly scored up and rough. Would it be from the jetting problem or more likely from a lack of oil to that cylinder? How would a person go about checking to make sure the cylinders are getting the oil they need? Just want try and figure out what caused the problem before I put the money into rebuilding the bad cylinder. Any help or advice would be great. Just new to sledding,but the kids love it.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did the sleds come from? I took my old 98 600rmk from AB to SK once a long time ago and melted er down rippin on the lake. I was jetted for 4-5000' above sea level and wound up super lean at 1800' in SK. Never ran better than the few minutes before she died! Lol - one of several hard life lessons

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the oil. But to check the jets get it all warmed up then hold it open for a few seconds down the road then hit kill switch and let go of the throttle at the same time. Then pull the plugs and look at them the porcelain should be a nice tan colour. But if your sleds are all factory they should be jetted on the rich side of things! Did your kids hold the sleds half throttle for along time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
Most of the time the kids ride at varying RPM's and speeds, they like to rip around and go fast but the throttle varies all along the trip. At least when I ride with them. The one sled was running 185 jets and the other sled was running 220 jets. The jetting chart I got from the dealer shows that for around 3000' they should have been 320 - 340. The plugs were pretty black when I changed them but they also were not the factory temp plugs. What else should I be looking at as a possible causes? It was the cylinder on the right hand side not the one I was expecting to be bad, I was expecting the cylinder closest to the clutches to go first due to poor cooling but not so this time.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah thats pretty lean! Lesson learned the hard way for you! Always go through and check everything when buying used. I think on most sleds the right side is leaner then the left for what ever reason.

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
Yeah it looks like once again the school of hard knocks has educated me. One more reason to love my XM.

Top Bottom