2010 Ford F-150 and a Deck?? Legal??

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 F-150 (crew cab 6.5 ft box) and I was wondering if I will be leagl to go to BC with it and still be under my GVW??????

It will be a marathon deck, a m-1000 and a M-8 I will have a small tool box in the truck as well and Just two people with Gear and fuel ETC

I also will be putting air bags in the truck as well

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I would bet that you would be over weight ,, whats you G.V.W.There are lots of threads on this topic.Weigh the truck empty and then weigh it loaded ,that will tell ya for sure

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet the rear axle will be overloaded,your what there lookin for.

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure in Alberta only tire rating matters. This topic comes up once a week mabye more.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have a 2010 F-150 (crew cab 6.5 ft box) and I was wondering if I will be leagl to go to BC with it and still be under my GVW??????

It will be a marathon deck, a m-1000 and a M-8 I will have a small tool box in the truck as well and Just two people with Gear and fuel ETC

Not sure if you know this or not. But putting Air bags in don't Legally make your truck able to hall more weight. But they do help that's for sure. I put some in my 06 1500 dodge. For pulling my 5th wheel.Look on Ebay if your going that rout. I'm sure i saved 150 bucks and they were shipped to my house.

Wouldn't you just be able to go off what your payload is for your truck?To decide if you can or not?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure in Alberta only tire rating matters. This topic comes up once a week mabye more.

sorry but you have no idea what yu are talking about. the numbers on the drivers door mean something, if you have no idea what they are for mabe you should find out as it can cost you big if the dot's pull you over

medler

I love guns
Reaction score

Still,,,,, if you crash insurance is void....

The 3/4 tons aren't that much more money,,,when you take safety into account they are the best decision ,,IMO

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need to know what gvw your truck is, the weight of your truck at the weigh scales, weight of deck and what you are carrying, how many peeps etc. weigh your truck front and rear axle, subtract this weight from what is stated on your door for front and rear axle. this is the total weight you can carry on the axle. bags cannot increase your legal load limit. a super crew f150 may be lucky to carry 500 lbs legally. why would you think you can carry more than 1600 lbs. the bc police are going to love you for sure.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tire rating does make a difference, i carry 3000lbs in the back of my f350 but what do i know im just a welder

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am picking up an 09 F150 King Ranch 4x4 Crew cab tomorrow. Traded in the Chev 2500. The GVWR on the F150 I bought is 7350lbs, but can be 7700lbs if it has the trailer package(built in trailer brake). I weighed the truck at the local scale while on test drive and with a full tank of gas you can get about 1200lbs in it before you hit max weight. So deck of 300lbs, sled of 500lbs, me at 200lbs and a little bit of gear and I would be overweight. Max these trucks can carry is just over 3000lbs, and that is a regular cab 2X4 with 8' box.

I know you would be overweight with a deck and 2 small sleds, not including yourself or gear.

Heres a link with GVWRs
http://www.ford.ca/app/fo/en/trucks/f150.do?modelYear=C00&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=cids10F15E;

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are allowed around 3750 on the rear axle of these units. with the ext cab. with 4 adults in my cab ,aprox 7/8 fuel in truck and pulling my old boat i was around 1700 on my rear axle. only way to now for sure is to try it but imo i think it would be easy. you may still have weight left but will be close. mine only has the 5.5 box or i would have tried by now for sure.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tire rating does make a difference, i carry 3000lbs in the back of my f350 but what do i know im just a welder

the tire rating will allow you to carry your maximum allowable load but will not icrease your load rating. unless you are running a dualyy rou are more than likely overloaded.

IT MAKES NO SENSE TO COACH A GUY TO DO SOMETHING THAT MAY BE ILLEGAL, MAY AS WELL TELL HIM WHAT IS LEGAL AND LET HIM MAKE HIS OWN MIND UP. UNLESS YOU WANT TO HELP WITH THE FINS AND LEGAL COSTS.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are allowed around 3750 on the rear axle of these units. With the ext cab. With 4 adults in my cab ,aprox 7/8 fuel in truck and pulling my old boat i was around 1700 on my rear axle. Only way to now for sure is to try it but imo i think it would be easy. You may still have weight left but will be close. Mine only has the 5.5 box or i would have tried by now for sure.

you sure you were looking at f150, weight seems a little off.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

YOU DOO NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE GVWR IS AND WHAT THE FRONT & REAR AXLE GVW IS, TO MAKE THE PROPER JUDGEMENT

BUT, IN ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION: YOU WILL BE OVERWEIGHT AND YOU WOULD BE PULLED OVER, AND SLEDS IMPOUNDED, GOING INTO BC......YOU ARE WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR........ SORRY, BUT THAT'S THE TRUTH

DECK/HOLD DOWNS/BOLTS ETC(400LB OR MORE) + SLEDS 550 TO 600 LBS EACH(LOADED WITH FUEL/FLUIDS/GEAR) + CLOTHES/MISC(100 LBS OR MORE) + 2 PEOPLE(400LB?) + FULL TRUCK FUEL TANK = OVERWEIGHT ON REAR AXLE...........

Ford F-150 Trucks: Ford Canada

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of threads that might be useful (kind of an entertaining read - there's a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding on this subject):

Basically, look at your door jamb for GVWR then weigh your truck with yourself and a full tank of gas. The difference is your load capacity. It's fairly difficult to overload an axle, usually the GVWR is hit way before an axle limit is hit. It's a rare 1/2 ton that has the load capacity to haul a deck and sleds. Air bags have no effect on GVWR.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f77/1500-chevy-two-sleds-22616.html

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f77/decks-half-ton-13709.html

Specific to F150:
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f77/sled-deck-12803.html

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of threads that might be useful (kind of an entertaining read - there's a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding on this subject):

Basically, look at your door jamb for GVWR then weigh your truck with yourself and a full tank of gas. The difference is your load capacity. It's fairly difficult to overload an axle, usually the GVWR is hit way before an axle limit is hit. It's a rare 1/2 ton that has the load capacity to haul a deck and sleds. Air bags have no effect on GVWR.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f77/1500-chevy-two-sleds-22616.html

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f77/decks-half-ton-13709.html

Specific to F150:
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f77/sled-deck-12803.html

Yep - pretty easy to figure out. GVWR minus actual weight of truck, driver and fuel is the payload you can actually carry. Front axle, rear axle, dodge on the scales whatever, doesn't matter. If you are over - you will get your punishment.

Math is done for you already on this thread - page 1 about 3/4 of the way down in my post:https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f401/increasing-hauling-weight-19872.html Unless you have some lightweight mod sleds like mine (one is 487 full of gas, other is 540 full of gas - used 550 as a conservative estimate), expect that your average sled weight is around 650 lbs at least full of fluids.

Don't know why we keep having this discussion every week - it seems as though many people are trying to justify using a 1/2 ton to haul a deck and sleds by playing with #'s. The #'s didn't work out for a 1/2 ton with deck last month, they haven't changed this month. Buy a 3/4 ton if you want a deck. Don't be an ass. Your payload is what matters for a deck and sleds. Not towing, nothing else, no matter how you try and justify the GVWR, the GAWR, payload and GVWR, GAWR and GVWR, etc etc. Unless you have a long box 4x2 regular cab, or the towing and hauling packages (which will still be tight) it's probably not going to happen for ya. Buy a trailer.

Do what you want, but get busted and there's no sympathy from me. Get into an accident and you are found negligent - kiss everything you own goodbye. If you kill someone.......well, that's something you and your poor decisions will have to deal with.

Rules are black and white. I'd love to...but I don't have a deck on my 1/2 ton for a reason, that's a lot of weight for a 1/2 ton to stop and control on the road, no matter how much you justify to yourself that the truck seems to sit level with the weight on it once you pump up the airbags. :rolleyes: How it looks in the parking lot and how it handles on the road are 2 very different things. You're only bullsh!tting yourself, certainly not DOT and not other sledders, since most have looked into it. Most of them just think you're a stupid ass who either didn't bother to learn the rules, or just doesn't care. DOT knows these rules inside and out, don't think for a minute that when it comes to this, you're outsmarting them.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as mr modman says. don't listen to no salesman, take the vehicle to the scales and find your carrying weight. estimate your load (high) that way you have a cushion. no one in his right mind wants you to get hurt, and they are trying to give you the legal limits, you can take the info anyway you want as it's your decision. anyone who posts that they got overweight fines may not find any sympathy here.

Top Bottom