Help on the Grizzly "sputtering" issue after water crossing.

Reaction score
Anyone have some links they could share, that help to eliminate the "sputtering" problem with the 660 Grizzlies when traveling through water?

I've heard it could be "steam" but can't figure out how the heck steam could get to where the intake is? I've also heard that it could be the electrical connection at the front differential, that should be taken off and filled with dielectric grease?? :dontknow:

Any help on the matter would be appreciated, as the last time out I had the issue.

Thanks.

PSD2000

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
It is most certainly the steam. If you drill about thirty half inch holes in both side panels over top of the engine this will cure the problem. Three of us have had this problem on our 660 Grizzlys. It used to P!ZZ me off to no end. Before drilling the holes, just pull off your side panels and test the theory by splashing through the water and seeing if it sputters. Sorry I have no Pic's of the holes we drilled but I can get you some maybe later. Good Luck.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cut in a oval hole on the plastice peice covering the gas tank and then put some plastic gutter mesh over top looks pretty good. If some one could tell me how to post a picture on here I can do that for you

Reaction score
It is most certainly the steam. If you drill about thirty half inch holes in both side panels over top of the engine this will cure the problem. Three of us have had this problem on our 660 Grizzlys. It used to P!ZZ me off to no end. Before drilling the holes, just pull off your side panels and test the theory by splashing through the water and seeing if it sputters. Sorry I have no Pic's of the holes we drilled but I can get you some maybe later. Good Luck.
Thanks, but I'm not quite sure where you would drill these holes? You don't mean the outter plastic do you, as that would take away from the look of the machine wouldn't it?

Does anyone have a theory as to why the steam seems to make it into the air inlet, as I don't hear this happening with other quads? I've got an older Honda Fourtrax that has never had an issue like this..or any other, so why this happens on the Grizzly 660 seems to perplex me.

I'm not into the "snorkel" thing, as snorkels take away from the smooth lines of the Grizzly, but opening areas not seen otherwise, might be the answer, but I just need to see "where" these holes truly need to be!

Thanks in advance.

PSD2000

Reaction score

Is there a way of doing this without altering the look of the quad? Holes in the side panels I can't see as being a hack job (by myself anyway) and I like the clean lines of the Grizzly, thus don't want to hack up the quad without looking for alternate ways to remedy this issue.
There again, I personally think snorkels ruin the look of a quad as well, so hopefully I can find a way to get clean air to the intake without hacking up my ride!

Thanks!

PSD2000

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would this work on my Kodiac as well,steam is an issue on it as well!
catmando!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Thanks, but I'm not quite sure where you would drill these holes? You don't mean the outter plastic do you, as that would take away from the look of the machine wouldn't it?

Does anyone have a theory as to why the steam seems to make it into the air inlet, as I don't hear this happening with other quads? I've got an older Honda Fourtrax that has never had an issue like this..or any other, so why this happens on the Grizzly 660 seems to perplex me.

I'm not into the "snorkel" thing, as snorkels take away from the smooth lines of the Grizzly, but opening areas not seen otherwise, might be the answer, but I just need to see "where" these holes truly need to be!

Thanks in advance.

PSD2000

You need to drill holes in the plastic side panels around where your knees rest to let the steam out or you can do what mudboy did and cut an oval in the plastic. If your worried about looking pretty then buy two spare side panels for your quad and put them on it when your quad is sitting in your garage or you can carry them in your quad box and when you stop for a beer or lunch you can quickly stop and install them before your buddies see your ugly hacked up panels. Just bugging!!! I drilled about 30 holes in each panel and I made a real nice purdy pattern. You can be as creative as you like as long as you are letting off steam, my friend. This method will work with Kodiaks too Catman. good luck.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks,If you seen my Prowler you would understand looks are not a high priority for me LOL!
Will give it a try.
catmando!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Yep mine does it also ticks me off 3/4 of the way across getting ready for the "step' out and it starts to chug friggin thing:rant:...I think I may go the snorkle route.
What year is your grizz if it is pre 03 they will still honor the boiling gas warranty...they did mine but it still boils the gas :rant:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes Ric it is real,makes it easier to shift gears LOL!
catmando!

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How aboiut doing the manual fan override switch to help ventilate and get rid of the steam? Would the air flow off the fan blow through the engine compartment enough?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Buy a Honda, Mine never misses a heartbeat in water... plus gets way better fuel econo! :p

Yeah but I will 4 Wheel drive over fuel econo anyday.....not a peg leg Honda 3 wheel drive and the forth there to hold the corner up :p

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Buy a Honda, Mine never misses a heartbeat in water... plus gets way better fuel econo! :p

I agree... but you also need a really good GPS cause your always so damn far behind everyone else with those Hondas and we just get tired of waiting at every corner for them.:eek::eek::eek: J/K. You can't beat the reliability of the Honda.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda's are alright, tough to kill, they need to catch up with the jones though. Suspension might be nice option for them to take a look at...... I have had the oppritunity to run an 08 700 grizz. for a while...... now that is nice..... pc111 and a hmf can, air filter and mud lites......... WOW. bets my foreman 450 with a two inch lift, KN filter, staples easy button and bicycle bell.

Gowen

Reaction score
Anyone have some links they could share, that help to eliminate the "sputtering" problem with the 660 Grizzlies when traveling through water? ...

Maybe try sealing the spark plug cap with dielectric grease and seal the ignition wire cap on the coil by encasing it with silicon sealant. Check the VDI site (Velocity Devices Inc. - Your source of high performance ATV parts and accessories.) for sealing kits, they used to sell them. If you can't find a sealing kit be sure to ask Lyle at VDI about it.

Top Bottom