Zilla's VS Mudzilla's....the truth.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here are some more weights to consider....

28 x 10 x 12 zilla's are for all 4 = 104.0 lbs
28 x 10 x 12 mudzilla's for all 4 = 140.0 lbs thats 36 lbs of rotational mass spinning.

a set of four silverbacks in a 28 x 10 x 12 weigh 132.0 lbs crazy heavy...

if your bike is set up for it, great but most people just slap a big set on and don't tune for the rubber...

i beleive the bottom line here is that if you want the best all terrian mud tire that gives you the best perforamance without spending lots on clutching and is the lightest mud tire on the market, is the zilla..

everything bigger and heavier like muds and silverbacks and outlaws are mud specialized tires and for these you have to tune to give your bike the power back to outperform well tuned machines with smaller lugs...
True Dat..07 500 AC.Dalton clutch kit with 27" outlaws supposedly 'tuned for big wheels".17.5 gr rollers and a stronger secondary spring.Not worth the money......Could not turn them.Sent my primary,spacer,fixed plate and secondary off to missouri to be machined and HOLY CRAP.I was eating 27"s on hard pack and having a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground.I thought I had nirvana until I talked to my clutch tuner.(great guy , no extra charge) he dialed me in with everyday riding tires ,,Zillas(his words not mine).Now I can just about idle through anything ,And if I want roosters it is at my fingertips. The clutch work took the weight factor completely out of the equation...So long story short, as stated above ,you want to play you will have to pay.Outlaws will kick zilla's stock to stock any day of the week.Properly clutched and tuned quad(any brand) can run zilla's against laws and stand a reasonable chance.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are better tires than the 'Zilla for what I'm doing.

oh there are! mud specialized tires are awesome. so many better than zilla"s for pure mudding... but if you don't clutch PROPERLY ( maybe even on a dyno)
(hint) lol , you really just detune your machine and can't apply enough power to those big lugs to be fective. now you say, no i can give here and it just rips thru whatever. ok, but have you ripped thru it with a properly set up mud machine that is made for this... go race and you will see how much he imbarress you by... then the eyes will open!

anyways.... i am saying ziila's are a good average tire for handling, mud, some dry pack etc.... no real clutch tuning required unless you go really big and increase that rotional mass by a bunch. maybe some. but this is all for the rider who does it all and has a small pocket book.....you want big tires, you spend sometimes large on proper clutching including chasing it properly on a dyno. and then watch those big puppies rotate! lol..... im sticking up for mud tires??, whats wrong with me! i don't even have zilla's. i have 25 " bighorns. GNCC all the way! LOL

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
So because your 120 lb lady on a 575lb quad, 26" Mudlites went through where you couldn't make it on a 675 lb quad, 26" Zillas...the Zillas dig down and are sh!t. LOL. I guess there's a lot of retards out there..... :rolleyes:

how about comparing my King 750 with 26" Zilla's with my buddy's Griz 700 with 26" mud bugs. Is that a better comparison Dave?? the bugs performed better.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how about comparing my King 750 with 26" Zilla's with my buddy's Griz 700 with 26" mud bugs. Is that a better comparison Dave?? the bugs performed better.

Sure, maybe on that day! or that hole. or maybe rider experience? who knows.. now many times have i, at least seen machines with bighorns on them out do bikes with zilla's or other big mud tires.. that does not make the tire bad at all...

i mean, everybody has a opinion here and really just go buy what you think is good and enjoy it! thats the bottom line, is 'nt it... to be happy with your purchase and who cares what others think! go ride!:)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple...the Grizz is a better machine in the mud. I ran Mudbugs for years...my buddy still runs em. They're a great tire and real light too...which I like....the tread on the Zillas is just better. My bud's 07 Outlander with 28" Bugs...my 07 Outlander with 28" Zillas....I could pull up behind him and push him in the mud holes....over and over. On the wet, hard trails the Zillas walk away from the Bugs as they track straighter. At speed, the Bugs will let you slide into the rhubarb real easy and are real hard to hold a straight line at speed. Liked the 28's so much I'm trying 30's this year....

i mean, everybody has a opinion here and really just go buy what you think is good and enjoy it! thats the bottom line, is 'nt it... to be happy with your purchase and who cares what others think! go ride!:)
Then there's this....too true.....

Last edited:

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave, I definitely share your feelings on the Zillas. I'm currently running 27's on my '10 850 XP and they are without a doubt the best all around tire I've used yet - from moderate mud to very twisty, high speed trails. I've got a Team 14% gear reduction kit for my tranny and once I install it, I'm thinking I'll be able to move up to 30" Zillas with the stock clutching.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave, I definitely share your feelings on the Zillas. I'm currently running 27's on my '10 850 XP and they are without a doubt the best all around tire I've used yet - from moderate mud to very twisty, high speed trails. I've got a Team 14% gear reduction kit for my tranny and once I install it, I'm thinking I'll be able to move up to 30" Zillas with the stock clutching.

Wow, very nice!

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple...the Grizz is a better machine in the mud. I ran Mudbugs for years...my buddy still runs em. They're a great tire and real light too...which I like....the tread on the Zillas is just better. My bud's 07 Outlander with 28" Bugs...my 07 Outlander with 28" Zillas....I could pull up behind him and push him in the mud holes....over and over. On the wet, hard trails the Zillas walk away from the Bugs as they track straighter. At speed, the Bugs will let you slide into the rhubarb real easy and are real hard to hold a straight line at speed. Liked the 28's so much I'm trying 30's this year....

Then there's this....too true.....

Ya the tread design is better on zillas for hard pack trail, they are a great all around tire. Comparing them to mudbugs the zillas will ride a litlle smoother on the hard pack trail, but when it comes to mud, the bugs will out Perform the zillas, especially in skeg. You can tell this from just looking at them. The zillas have more of a center lug and they do not sit flat, they are more of a rounded profile. The bugs are more of a paddle design they sit a little flatter then zillas. Look at the tread design on the mudbugs it is very similar to outlaws but with smaller lugs and a little more center lugs for the hard pack trail riding. My buddy had zillas and sold them because he was tired of always getting stuck were I just went through, or getting winched out and then watching me go through where he got stuck. He had zilllas I had bugs. It wasn't him cause we would switch off some times and I would get stuck. The zillas dig alot there is no question about it you can tell that just by looking at them. The bugs paddle, witch is what you want when it comes to mud and skeg

What it comes down to is what kind of riding you do. I personally will never own zillas cause I like the mud and my laws are great in the mud and on the trail there only rough riding when goin around 10 km or under. Other than that I don' t even notice them.

The people that say zillas are good in the mud are usually the ones that have them. ( cause everyone's stuff is the best) or have not had compared them to other tires.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my pimpin iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the lesson in tires...these are the first tires I've owned. LOL. I think we can all agree to disagree.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off the topic just a bit. How many use pressure gauge for tire inflation versus measuring the tire? I have found that measuing the tires to the exact same size's makes a big difference in handling and power....well at least on a under powered quad. But it must make a bit of diffence on the high powered as well.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For deep slick mud, my Zilla's turn into donuts. This is one thing I do not like. But so far for wear and an all around tire, they do awesome. I can slide on gravel and go through moderate amounts of mud with them, but if its too deep and sticky they ball up. This has me looking for new rubber.

If your not a hard core mudder, then the Zilla is for you. My buddy's MudZilla's can keep up with my quad and there seems to be no loss in handling as both quads rip through the trails at the same pace.

His are lightyears ahead of mine, as they do not ball up in the mud like mine do.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off the topic just a bit. How many use pressure gauge for tire inflation versus measuring the tire? I have found that measuing the tires to the exact same size's makes a big difference in handling and power....well at least on a under powered quad. But it must make a bit of diffence on the high powered as well.

huh?? measure your tires exact?? whats up with that? who does this? pressure gauge is the only way to keep the air exact in your tires, side to side.
how do you know how much air you have in each tire, from measuring?
you don't and better handling, from measuring, i don't think so.

boy, who ever told you that needs to sell me his herb! LOL

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
Speaking of measuring, and just kind of on a side note, my 26" Zilla's weren't nearly as tall as my 26 mud lites. How much shorter? I don't know. I never put a tape on them but side by side the Zilla's were considerably shorter.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of measuring, and just kind of on a side note, my 26" Zilla's weren't nearly as tall as my 26 mud lites. How much shorter? I don't know. I never put a tape on them but side by side the Zilla's were considerably shorter.

My 28's measure up to 28".

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your rear differential are posi, and some front diff's are posi as well. If your tires are not equal in size, there is one hell of a strain in your diff that do not have to be. If some of your tires are one inch smaller than the other that is 3 inch more distance traveled in one revolution. It only takes a second measure your tire height. I bet they are all different. And they should not be. You would be suprised on the better handling when you get your tire sizes exact, and free horse power as well.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your rear differential are posi, and some front diff's are posi as well. If your tires are not equal in size, there is one hell of a strain in your diff that do not have to be. If some of your tires are one inch smaller than the other that is 3 inch more distance traveled in one revolution. It only takes a second measure your tire height. I bet they are all different. And they should not be. You would be suprised on the better handling when you get your tire sizes exact, and free horse power as well.

None of the current crops of quads have full time posi front ends. The rear ends, yes on some models excluding the Polaris models equipped with Turf mode (unlocking rear diff)

All of the current 4X4's are equipped with limited slip front differentials, and a manual diff lock, except Honda (full time limited slip) and Polaris (automatic lock and unlocking front diff) and Can-Am (non-lock-up torque converter in the front diff)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been setting my pressure by height since I got the AC 650 twin in 04. Set all the pressures equal and the tires are all different heights....these things aren't built to the same tolerances of a car tire I'm sure. Figured it out when I kept equalizing the pressures, but every time I'd pull a long wheelie, I'd have to get out of it as it always walked off to one side. Now I set 'em at 4.5 lbs or so....then measure all the tires with a level and a tape, bring them all up to the height of the tallest one. Usually not more than a 1/2 to 3/4 of a psi difference.

Top Bottom