Zilla's VS Mudzilla's....the truth.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've experienced the digging straight down with the zilla's. When my femme with under 10 hrs seat time can make it through a mud hole with 26" ITP mud lites on a 2005 Kodiak 400 and I can't get through it with a 2008 King Quad 750 with 26" Zilla's......well....that's where I draw the line. I manned up big time to 27" outlaws. Zero complaints now. Zero

My 28" Zillas would take me through the same stuff as my Laws will but it took me waaaaaaay longer to get through, I am thinking most of it is thumb control

How do you find those outlaws on hard pack sand/trail? Right now I am trying to pick either from the laws or zilla's....

I have the 29.5 Laws and don't find them all that rough unless you are at idle. As soon as you get over about 10-15kph they rider just as smooth as my old 28" Zillas, although turning is a real B*&*H with the Laws compared to Zillas!

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:winkmsnanyone here have 5000kms on mudzillas? iv 5000 on my zillas! helluva tire. and this is on an 09 xp 850le with ps. lots of mud, muskeg, trails, gravel, river and some pavement ridin. zillas last longer and do just as good as outlaws iv found

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:winkmsnanyone here have 5000kms on mudzillas? iv 5000 on my zillas! helluva tire. and this is on an 09 xp 850le with ps. lots of mud, muskeg, trails, gravel, river and some pavement ridin. zillas last longer and do just as good as outlaws iv found

Wow. Check that out.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres some truth... The MudZilla beat the Zilla. Notice there is no brute in the pic.

Heres the two quads after the fun filled fiasco.

Attachments

• xp stuck.jpg
    xp stuck.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 209
  • brutexp.jpg
    brutexp.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 206

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I run 26" mudzillas on my grizz. In general I am happy with them. Only real drawback I find is ice. I will admit they are a bit rough at slow speeds (less than 10 kph). And they do have a tendency to dig down rather than give forward motion in certain types if mud.

A lot of it has to do with rider ability and throttle control tho. I've riden with guys running anything from mud junks to outlaws and silverbacks. Sometimes I do better than all the others sometimes I don't. Depends on the situation. But for my style of riding and if I had to do over buying tires it would be laws tho.

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next time I'm going with the outlaw 2.... Take that Ryan!!

Sent from my white iPhone 4

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zillas are a great AT tire. No one has claimed they are the best mud tire around, When I need new tires I will probably end up with the new outlaw 2.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice mud comparison test none the less. Yeah the Popo would do better with outlaws I would hope lol. Might sink even more making the brute work harding at pulling you out Shaun.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice mud comparison test none the less. Yeah the Popo would do better with outlaws I would hope lol. Might sink even more making the brute work harding at pulling you out Shaun.

Better hope not, if I get 'Laws I might be the one pulling you out for once. :beer:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well boys, i will give you my prospective on this from a performance stand point.

number 1, is as you can see, its a slug fest! everyone has a different opinion on what works better than the other. maybe you got thru great and your buddy did'nt. well, next time it could be different again. who knows? going into deep mud holes is a crap shoot. either you make it or you don't. i have seen many rider with the narlyest tires, get stuck and someone with way less make it thru. Explain that? rider maybe? who really know or cares...

but hear are the facts to consider..

27 x 9 x 12 all four in zilla = 86.0 lbs
27 x 9 x 12 all four in mudzilla = 112.0 lbs

thats a difference of 26.0 lbs of rotational mass that you have to spin.
thats huge and if you don't do some serious clutching to bring it back to the performance with stock tires..

now some of you will say, oh i did a clutch kit and its fine now...
well honeslty if you tune by the seat of your pants, then thats just what you will feel. i have seen many machine, when put on a proper dyno with a eddy brake, (so you can load down the machine) show such poor results from just slapping in a clutch kit and thinking its all good....

if you tune properly for big tires, then you have something and if you don't, then you only think you have something unless you can gauge your machine asgainst a well tuned one and then you can see the downfalls.

now i am not a dump myself into a deep hole type of rider. i prefer the GNCC cross country type of riding. to me id rather race a 2 hr cross country event then do a straight mud pit run, but thats just me... to each there own.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shaun put that pic of your XP in the "worst stuck" thread

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres some truth... The MudZilla beat the Zilla. Notice there is no brute in the pic.

Heres the two quads after the fun filled fiasco.

Some questions :
Does the brute have a lft ?
Are the tires bigger on the brute?
Who went first into the hole?

Apples to apples...lol

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here are some more weights to consider....

28 x 10 x 12 zilla's are for all 4 = 104.0 lbs
28 x 10 x 12 mudzilla's for all 4 = 140.0 lbs thats 36 lbs of rotational mass spinning.

a set of four silverbacks in a 28 x 10 x 12 weigh 132.0 lbs crazy heavy...

if your bike is set up for it, great but most people just slap a big set on and don't tune for the rubber...

i beleive the bottom line here is that if you want the best all terrian mud tire that gives you the best perforamance without spending lots on clutching and is the lightest mud tire on the market, is the zilla..

everything bigger and heavier like muds and silverbacks and outlaws are mud specialized tires and for these you have to tune to give your bike the power back to outperform well tuned machines with smaller lugs...

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some questions :

Apples to apples...lol

We both took turns, no lift on either of the bikes, the XP is wider than the Brute, both went in and out a few times, both tires are 28" with SS wheels.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some questions :

Apples to apples...lol

My brute does not have a lift and there both 28" tires and I went before and after he got stuck. Now thats straight up apples to apples.

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
I get through way more then my buddy with mudlites so I don't know what you're talking about. The rider perhaps....

Ya a 120 lb lady with zero quad time. She must have a way better mudding technique. You know what? Maybe she is actually an avid quadder and she just never told me?

Whats next? some retard is gonna call me a heretic for talking poorly about the sacred Zilla? They're sh!t.

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
How do you find those outlaws on hard pack sand/trail? Right now I am trying to pick either from the laws or zilla's....

Sorry for the late reply. In sand, my buddy's mud bugs were better than the outlaws. The outlaws make this crazy awesome sand rooster tail but my friends bugs moved him forward better. Outlaws made the quad a little less agile on hard pack but it really wasnt a severe night and day difference. If you are going to go the zilla type tire, i would suggest bugs or even mud lites over the Zilla's. I just hated the digging nature of the Zilla.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya a 120 lb lady with zero quad time. She must have a way better mudding technique. You know what? Maybe she is actually an avid quadder and she just never told me?

Whats next? some retard is gonna call me a heretic for talking poorly about the sacred Zilla? They're sh!t.

So because your 120 lb lady on a 575lb quad, 26" Mudlites went through where you couldn't make it on a 675 lb quad, 26" Zillas...the Zillas dig down and are sh!t. LOL. I guess there's a lot of retards out there..... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom