Xm fuel line problem

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
Yah know what i think his name was Mel, He was a older gentleman, I can't be sure tho there were so many new faces in the group, I couldn't keep track of them. The guys in the group figured out a fix for him and he rode it out. I know what to pack in case this happens to another xm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"you know what to pack.." and so what should we pack?
1/4 hose to bypass to the tank, or...?
No way to tow us out most times.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats him and he is 70 +/- lol . Puts on up to 5000 kms plus per year .

Yah know what i think his name was Mel, He was a older gentleman, I can't be sure tho there were so many new faces in the group, I couldn't keep track of them. The guys in the group figured out a fix for him and he rode it out. I know what to pack in case this happens to another xm.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"you know what to pack.." and so what should we pack?
1/4 hose to bypass to the tank, or...?
No way to tow us out most times.

Opps sorry, 1/4 nylon fuel line and some mech wire. Remove the plastic 90 from the stock line, and run the nylon hose to the tank.
Now the line got secured to the filler neck with a zip tie and a plastic bag. It worked and no fuel spilled, I've been tossing the idea of buying a second fuel cap and drilling a hole in it to stick the line in. Plus you'll have to pinch the line when yah want to climb, letting it free flow returns too much fuel.
It looks like the line is attached to the oil tank maybe taking the clip off the oil tank will give it more slack.

Has anybody heard of this happening to a pull start sled? Because you should have the tool to remove the recoil off the oil tank to get the at the line.

Last edited:

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Opps sorry, 1/4 nylon fuel line and some mech wire. Remove the plastic 90 from the stock line, and run the nylon hose to the tank.
Now the line got secured to the filler neck with a zip tie and a plastic bag. It worked and no fuel spilled, I've been tossing the idea of buying a second fuel cap and drilling a hole in it to stick the line in. Plus you'll have to pinch the line when yah want to climb, letting it free flow returns too much fuel.
It looks like the line is attached to the oil tank maybe taking the clip off the oil tank will give it more slack.

Has anybody heard of this happening to a pull start sled? Because you should have the tool to remove the recoil off the oil tank to the at the line.

The recoil saddle is mounted via two screws going into the oil tank and a little tab that snaps through the opening.... I installed a recoil on my estart ended up shaving the tab off n order to easily install/remove saddle if need be...

The little clip doesnt really do anything n my opinion....

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a really good look at mine today, and I see no fix for this other than a better designed fuel pump fitting, or a oil tank with more clearance on the clutch side of the tank, the oil tank is very close to the fitting!!. It looks like to me if the chassis twists in such a way, or your knee hits the oil tank hard enough it will break the nipple on the return line.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyway to protect the nipple?

ya good question..... I would assume this may even be worse on cold days or first thing when the plastic is crisp and fragile......

I always seem to bang my knees I guess I will try and be cautious of that for now

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They had one in at the dealer today when I was there for a broken nipple. Same story-got hit by the oil tank.

harper44

Reaction score
Picking mine up from my dealer tomorrow. New fuel pump installed. Dealer says that BRP called today requesting details on the failure, sounds like impending service bulletin/recall. I'm going to see what I can rig up to stop the oil tank from hitting the fuel line in the mean time.

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This happened to one of the sleds in our group last weekend, it is 2013 xm154. It was on the wrong side of a deep gulley no chance in towing out. We had another xm in the group so we went down to the shop removed its fuel tank and took it up and switched tanks on the hill. When we had it apart you can see clear what the problem is. The recess in the oil tank where the fuel lines run is to tight to the return fuel line. It is not the oil tank that moves it is the fuel tank. There is only about 1/4" clearance beside the return fuel line and any side movement in the tank and it will shear off the plastic nipple that sticks out of the tank. The tank needs to shift to the left as you sit on the sled for this to happen. This is what happened to our sled as the guy hit opposite side of creek his knee hit forward, not any damage, sled just started running like crap. From what I seen the fuel tank needs to be secured so it can't shift to the left with any impact, maybe a side plate, glue it to tunnel not sure what is going to work for sure. On our damage one I suggest he drill it out and put in a brass nipple to give it more strength.

jumpingjack

Reaction score
I don't understand it. What has changed? I never heard of this happening on the 2011 or the 2012 etecs and this part of the shed hasn't changed or has it?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel tank moving? I thought they were secured really well? Either way the recess in the oil tank being too close to the fitting is the problem. Not sure why doo changed the fuel system this year.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel tank moving? I thought they were secured really well? Either way the recess in the oil tank being too close to the fitting is the problem. Not sure why doo changed the fuel system this year.

Was gona say that tank isn't moving anywhere. The oil tank on the other hand.....maybe

Denali

Reaction score
This happened on my 2012 free ride last year when my knee hit after I hit a trench last year. It was warrantied but that doesn't help when your 50km from the truck.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This happened on my 2012 free ride last year when my knee hit after I hit a trench last year. It was warrantied but that doesn't help when your 50km from the truck.

I agree... Sure would be nice to get some pics of the damage..... Im not sure how to get to the damage when it happens too... How far do you have to go ripping apart the sled to do a Backcountry fix???

Top Bottom