xm fire hazard recalls...hope you have insurance

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So your telling me fuel was dumping out of that hole?

Um No. If you actually looked at the pic and know a thing or two you can tell that the fired occurred inside the suitcase near the bottom back. When the sensor is out the sled thinks it is cold and will run super rich. Fuel must of built up and then ignited. It not the first time a sensor has come out on me but the first time it lit the suitcase up.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on. So if you find a "HOT" deal on a 12etec you'll have t-motion lined up cheap....lol

i actually want one but i dont want to get a lemon, the pull cord snapped on me at 100 miles but to be fair it was a rental.....:):beer:

Attachments

• 2013 xm 100 miles.jpg
    2013 xm 100 miles.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Um No. If you actually looked at the pic and know a thing or two you can tell that the fired occurred inside the suitcase near the bottom back. When the sensor is out the sled thinks it is cold and will run super rich. Fuel must of built up and then ignited. It not the first time a sensor has come out on me but the first time it lit the suitcase up.

i referenced your situation on this thread, but never stated as maxwell said flaming gas coming out of the hole. Just a very possible chance of fire, as your picture clearly shows.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe a vibratin proof washer or red lock tight should fix it ! ....

I don't think red loctite or a nordlock will work in this application. All loctite dies with heat making it ineffective in exhaust applications.

The sensor is a tapered thread so a nordlock won't tighten up to engage.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's not an o2 sensor, and that sensor doesn't directly tell the injectors how much fuel to add. Those values are Programed in the ecu from factory with minor compensation from the altimeter, intake temp sensor and exhaust temp sensor.

That fuel is coming from somewhere else. Lets say it was the sensor telling it to add fuel, it would have bogged and flooded (not 5L+ in the crankcase and now pouring out the muffler flooded) loooong before that much fuel came out the muffler. Then because it quit running the fuel pump would have also stopped pumping fuel.

I'd check to see if you fuel pump fitting broke or a fuel line came off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well another clueless Cat rider!
That's not an o2 sensor, and that sensor doesn't directly tell the injectors how much fuel to add. Those values are Programed in the ecu from factory with minor compensation from the altimeter, intake temp sensor and exhaust temp sensor.

That fuel is coming from somewhere else. Lets say it was the sensor telling it to add fuel, it would have bogged and flooded (not 5L+ in the crankcase and now pouring out the muffler flooded) loooong before that much fuel came out the muffler. Then because it quit running the fuel pump would have also stopped pumping fuel.

I'd check to see if you fuel pump fitting broke or a fuel line came off.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well another clueless Cat rider!

One would think, if your sled was running rich eneogh to lite your muffler on fire
the sled would be running pretty sh#tty,,no?

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright?...lol. Your clearly the clueless one bud.

hopefully they are correcting the issue, i've heard this is an old issue as well. in the mean time is there a fix for the sensor not vibrating out?.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully they are correcting the issue, i've heard this is an old issue as well. in the mean time is there a fix for the sensor not vibrating out?.

The best way is to just check of its tight in the mornings when your filling you oil tank up.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One would think, if your sled was running rich eneogh to lite your muffler on fire
the sled would be running pretty sh#tty,,no?

Mine sure was when it was overfuelling. Could only get 6500rpm and was running on one hole.

I don't think just an exhaust sensor falling out would make it overfuel. If the both did then maybe but still doubtful.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine sure was when it was overfuelling. Could only get 6500rpm and was running on one hole.

I don't think just an exhaust sensor falling out would make it overfuel. If the both did then maybe but still doubtful.

Did you ride it like that until your muffler started on fire too?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my pipe sensor fall out on my 2011 and never noticed a performance change, and never had one fall out again after that. I have not had a issue with them even falling out on my 13.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds more like an injector stuck open and dumping fuel..... fouling plug and just running on one cylinder

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not in my case, sensors were fine.
In the other guys maybe but there was no mention of injector issues after the fire at all.
And to be clear I never had a fire, just a stuck open injector but if someone else had the same happen and a sensor was out, I could see a fire happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom