Wrangler's Cabin

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Tembec is logging in the McEvoy/Upper Flathead and hauling up and down Morrissey. It is a plowed road and sleds are prohibited. We (FSA) don't know the situation for pullouts yet but radio controlled from Morrissey up to the Cabin would be recommended. We/they think they will be finished on the Coal Creek road this week so that should be open to the Rolling Hills. Just a little tricky getting from there to the Cabin.

The pipeline is dangerous as TCP has placed deterrents (1 meter rock and large trees) in various creek crossings and in particular the crossing at the Cabin and up the line to the south. The rocks may or may not be marked during early season. They are huge and will be lurking!

I will keep everyone posted as to any further developments

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how much damage was done to the creeks and such with the equipment they used to put the "deterrents" in place to keep the sleds out!:eek:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
How about Wranglers up to the Notch?

The first picture is looking north from the creek at the cabin. The second picture is north towards Corbin. Note in the second picture the quad down by the creek. The rock is huge and numerous. Please be careful out that way.

Attachments

• TCPL Pipelin Sep 10 2010 002.jpg
    TCPL Pipelin Sep 10 2010 002.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,101
  • TCPL Pipelin Sep 10 2010 012.jpg
    TCPL Pipelin Sep 10 2010 012.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,109

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's crazy. I was just going to do that dual sport loop this weekend. Maybe I'll attempt next weekend and get updated pictures

Good advice here to take it easy and watch for rocks until the snowpack covers them.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you think once the snow falls, a person just happens to put in some 8" x 10" on survey stakes for the winter marking the big rocks, cause those nuggets aren't moving period when hit. and i was wondering what the liability would be for someone hitting a intentionly placed boulder if they got hurt?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
do you think once the snow falls, a person just happens to put in some 8" x 10" on survey stakes for the winter marking the big rocks, cause those nuggets aren't moving period when hit. and i was wondering what the liability would be for someone hitting a intentionly placed boulder if they got hurt?

Yea, isn't that the truth. TCP have been told and particularly when it wasn't there last year!

Regarding the stakes, we're (FSA) hoping that they will be marker either by TCP or by the club.

Early season will be a test so be careful guys and gals.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ferniesnow,

What are they really worried about that made them put those bolders ther anyway? 4x4's tearing up the creek or shallow pipeline? they can't really be worried about sleds are they?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ferniesnow,

What are they really worried about that made them put those bolders ther anyway? 4x4's tearing up the creek or shallow pipeline? they can't really be worried about sleds are they?

The FSA is still digging into the BS! MoE, who are sometimes driven by the "green element" based in Fernie and the Columbia Valley, apparently, "told" TCP that this is what they had to do to control sediment from entering the creek.

We are sure that a couple of cattle guards would have served the same purpose and been a better solution.

I still iterate, use caution for those early rides on the pipeline and hopefully most of the nuggets will be marked sooner than later.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey ferniesnow any more info on conditions I was talking to my buddy from there derek stephanson and he was syaing it is starting to come along niceley

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
hey ferniesnow any more info on conditions I was talking to my buddy from there derek stephanson and he was syaing it is starting to come along niceley

My last info was from Wed. evening. I will be down for a meeting this morning and will ask.

While I was on Coal Creek FSR, I saw a rubber tired loader come down off Matheson (micro wave tower) with a bucket load of snow. Must of been taking it to town to show his buddies or maybe Derek!:d:d

We have another inch on the ground at the top of the valley yesterday. It is coming but still a ways to go.:d:d:d:d

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last info was from Wed. evening. I will be down for a meeting this morning and will ask.

While I was on Coal Creek FSR, I saw a rubber tired loader come down off Matheson (micro wave tower) with a bucket load of snow. Must of been taking it to town to show his buddies or maybe Derek!:d:d

We have another inch on the ground at the top of the valley yesterday. It is coming but still a ways to go.:d:d:d:d

it probably was derek that dirty bugger hahaha

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There is a meeting on Tuesday with the various interest groups and decision makers. I'll report back what I hear.

Things are falling into place. Following yesterday's meeting, TCP is going out to look at the pipeline crossing at Minnesota Flats (the crossing near the Wrangler's Cabin). They are willing to do something to lessen the danger or impact on our winter recreation. The were talking about taking a hoe in and do some major work. Apparently, the hunters have sort of cleared the other crossings and they are not that dangerous anymore.

It is sort of in their (TCP's) ball park now. Indications are that TCP wants to rectify the situation and be a good corporate citizen. I'm not saying they aren't but this sort of got out of TCP's immediate control.

Good on TCP for stepping up to the plate with a positive resolution.

I'll report further next week and maybe have an update.

Top Bottom