I took a ride today!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just had to see for myself about some of the snow conditions around Fernie. You know how it is; Joe says this, Billy says that, and Harry says something altogether different.

I went up Morrissey and drove to the Blueberry which is the last parking spot. There were 18 rigs up there today. There is snow on the road and water running down the ruts and if it freezes it will be a beauty! Trucks (with good tires/studs/maybe chains) and decks are suggested. Don't pull a trailer up past the second bridge (the first one being at km 19). There were some small open trailers up today but I wouldn't recommend it.

It was warm today (+5C) and the road was melting until just before the Blueberry. A beauty of a day to get a few road miles on the new G4. The first laugh I had was the boulder in the middle of some dudes track. That was the first clue I had. I never saw the sled so who knows what sort of damage was done. That rock is a big mother phucker! The next surprise was a stranded pick-up truck on the west side of the Coal Summit. A little further along there were two more pick-up trucks going up to rescue the first truck. The old Corb Blund song came to mind..........one truck stuck, etc.. So, they are able to drive pick-ups up Coal Creek and around the Coal Summit. That was the second clue. Holy crap batman, the snow isn't very deep and that is over 6000'.

I got to the Rolling Hills cabin and started on the Doug Dean trail to the Wrangler's cabin. I thought it might be a struggle with creeks and big rocks on the first section. Came to the first creek and decided that this isn't good. I made the decision to turn around. As I sat there contemplating, I got the probe out. In the trees there was 75 cm and out in the open there was 65 cm. The rocks that they used to decommission the old road are easily 60 cm high. Gonna be some major carnage up there unless there is a substantial dump of snow.

I took a few pictures; the hill with the trees is one of the favourite climbing spots for newbies and normally, one doesn't even know there are trees there as the snow generally covers those trees. It will be awhile before rock and roll time comes along. In the meantime, I will stay to the road, curse the pick-up ruts, and pray for more snow.

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4477.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doug for the update> I went hunting today and brought home a large load of fir. Don't really need anymore firewood but my buddy insisted.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doug for the update. I got my last Mulie doe today and sled deck goes back on tomorrow. Bring on some more snow. So did it look like that sled actually hit the rock or just drove up to it and scrapped the snow off it for others?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
In the second picture you can see where it was. There is a hole there and it wasn't frozen to the ground. I think it sort of rolled. They say on the Kootenay thread that there was a foot of fresh (I struggled to find a foot of fresh). Even with that foot it is just too skinny.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kenny said he broke trail up the "Doug dean" did you see his tracks or was he behind you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I can get through the early season without any damage..................It was sweet to get out and up to elevation yesterday.

You may need a Revy/Sic fix buddy! Its fully "on".

...Was talking with Jay about a trip from Black Diamond to Elkford for a night then back after the snow arrives. Would be fun to meet up and rip a bit! :dance:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We probed 180 cm at lower elevation at bluelake yesterday

sent while drinking tea's

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You may need a Revy/Sic fix buddy! Its fully "on".

...Was talking with Jay about a trip from Black Diamond to Elkford for a night then back after the snow arrives. Would be fun to meet up and rip a bit! :dance:

PM'd ya.

We probed 180 cm at lower elevation at bluelake yesterday

sent while drinking tea's

Ya, it's funny how people think, including myself. There are people who think it is great around here and are having fun. I read that there was a foot of fresh the other day. Well, doing the math, if I probed 75 cm and take away the 30 cm of fresh, that leaves 45 cm. Carve in the wrong place and what could happen? I will wait a while longer and not be a nervous nellie when I get out there to really rock and roll.

Top Bottom