Wood Stove and Fireplace

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a wood stove and fireplace too put in the new house. Just wondering which brands too be looking at, and any other tips you guys might have. Never had either one before. They will be for my back up heat as well if something goes wrong with the infloor heating. I am running my infloor heating off a big outdoor wood boiler. Each floor is roughly 1800 sq ft. Basement and main floor. Fireplace on main floor and stove in basement.
Thanks for all your help :beer:

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
better check with your Home Insurance Policy. the outside wood boiler is cheap on Insurance,BUT a inside wood heater is NOT, we completely removed our inside wood heater,then called our agent to come see, he knocked our policy by 1/3 ..heaters close by, can be hooked in hour.
I got a elec start 3000 Invertor gen set and had a cord made to the furnace.can have that going in 15 minutes.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Some insurance companys require just a bit of info as to who installed it etc...Didn't make any difference to my policy and mine was installed by myself..
But make sure it is a high quality stove thats efficient.Burn hard wood if possible(Birch is very good)And very low ashes...Soft wood won't give you the heat that the hard woods will.Install a chimney thermometer on your black pipe and sit back and enjoy the sound of your furnace NOT running!!

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X 3 for Blaze King !!!!!!! Over the years have tried a few different stoves but am really happy with Blaze King !!! I got a NON-CATALYTIC KING WOODSTOVE and really like it.
My parents have the Catalytic version (burns and pulls heat from your smoke)of my stove and they really like it too. They get better burn times than me (and hence go thru less wood) but I still like mine. I can safely load my stove up with wood for the night and still have lots of embers in the morning. (at least 9- 12 hrs.) I am sure I could go the whole day IF I loaded it right to the top and aired it down but haven't tryed that yet !!! So I only have to loaded the stove twice, maybe 3 times a day !!! It has a very good air damper control on it so you can control the amount of flame.
Nothing beats sittin by the fire, enjoying the heat when it's snowin out !! Wood heat seems to get right to your bones !!! :d:d

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just check with your insurance first. no problem for a fireplace with my insurance, but they wanted a 10% premium for a wood burning stove, because they said it could blow up!!!!!!!!!!!!! not sure about that happening, but that was their excuse anyways. just something to look out for

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
just check with your insurance first. no problem for a fireplace with my insurance, but they wanted a 10% premium for a wood burning stove, because they said it could blow up!!!!!!!!!!!!! not sure about that happening, but that was their excuse anyways. just something to look out for

Time to look for a new insurance company....the wood stove could "blow up"....must be city people:d:d

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For all of you that didn't get bent over by the ins company, which ins company are you guys with ? Time too start ph around for prices.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time to look for a new insurance company....the wood stove could "blow up"....must be city people:d:d
i laughed too, but my broker wasn't! unfortunately i get a pretty deal from him on everything else, plusi don't really have need of the woodstove with the infloor heat in my place.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a wood stove and fireplace too put in the new house. Just wondering which brands too be looking at, and any other tips you guys might have. Never had either one before. They will be for my back up heat as well if something goes wrong with the infloor heating. I am running my infloor heating off a big outdoor wood boiler. Each floor is roughly 1800 sq ft. Basement and main floor. Fireplace on main floor and stove in basement.
Thanks for all your help :beer:

X2 on blaze king and kingsman, call chad at 780-486-5555 and tell him Darren sent you his way. Good luck.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
For all of you that didn't get bent over by the ins company, which ins company are you guys with ? Time too start ph around for prices.

I am with intact ins.All the broker had me do was fill out some forms and send back to him...No difference in price he said..

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to SMKNSTV on here ,that`s what he does, great guy. Tell him neville sent you......

racerfromhell

Reaction score
i know here in Manitoba your insurance will go up but its about haveing a open flame inside the house (doors need to be opened to load ). outdoor furness doesn't affect the insurance

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have efel, i like it works well, quite efficent, but we also have a small house at the moment, about 900 square feet so its pretty easy to keep it warm.

if i don't controll the air flow ect it'll be 30 degrees in the house in no time, lol,
as for insurance we are with SGI canada and our rates went up about 25% of the policy amount, so i think it went from 700/year to 875/year. they just got me to take some pictures and fill out a form and send it in to them.

well worth the price i figure.

Attachments

• 01222011185.jpg
    01222011185.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom