Firewood sales

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just kinda getting into the firewood sales side gig. Figure I would ask the great snow and mud people on there opinion as everybody is different. I burn wood in my outdoor boiler and have a crusher cone for a fire pit so I never really think about it as I just cut up whatever. I decided too sell Tamarack and pine because it’s available too me. I have been cutting up at 14” lengths which is fine. So what do fire pit and wood stove people prefer. Normally under 8” I do a 2 way split. And anything bigger I do a 4 way or 6 way split. I delivered a cord too Wabamun on the weekend. While unloading a few of his neighbours came over too help unload and chat. All seniors and asking for birch. I wouldn’t think many people would want birch for a fire pit since it’s $$$$. I can understand birch for a fireplace or stove.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m at lake isle close by. I’d love 1/2 a logging truck in full length trees. We can buck and split ourselves

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I usually cut 16” lengths. That way you have 3 rows to make up a full 4’ in a 4x4x8 cord. Seen lots of people whine on FB about getting gyped on there wood. I usually split anything 6” and up minimum 4 ways. Also tons out there don’t know the difference on a face cord, half cord or even what a cord is.

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m sleddîng the next 2 weekends.
Will reach out to you for some wood. Or are you wanting to sell only split wood?
I am just doing as a side gig for the next year or so. In between jobs right now. Then a hip replacement coming up. So my plan is too sell too campers and lot owners down the road and people near by. Need too supplement the income when I am off. I have 2 logging loads of Tamarack and a load of pine to do up.

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually cut 16” lengths. That way you have 3 rows to make up a full 4’ in a 4x4x8 cord. Seen lots of people whine on FB about getting gyped on there wood. I usually split anything 6” and up minimum 4 ways. Also tons out there don’t know the difference on a face cord, half cord or even what a cord is.
Ya for sure people are out too lunch. I am doing 1/3 cords up in the water tote cages. Then a little xtra since it’s not a true 1/3 cord. I figure give a bit xtra then everyone’s happy. If I deliver it’s easy on my end. Load up with the loader. Then unload at where I am going by hand.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally we burn 2 cords of Tamarack and year. Best wood imo. Tamarack burns hotter or just as hot for $100 less a cord. Birch is nice but I’ll never go back. Tamarack is just harder to get started but once I discovered diesel soaked sawdust as fire starter. Life is simple.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What puts the most pitch in your chimney, thought that is why people like birch, way less pitch/tar deposits to start chimney fire.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm isn't it some black thing to charge my phone???

Lmao

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are in Seba beach and I can say that I do believe that some of the people would buy birch even for their outdoor pits. We obviously are not as well off in life as some of the other families out there, but even if we were I wouldn’t be burning birch outdoors just cause it isn’t priced how it was 15-20 yrs ago. I can tell you that we have had people swing by while we’re having a fire and burning spruce/pine, tamarack, and poplar and have had it pointed out that they would never burn anything other than birch because it is not as sparky nor Smokey. That is a trivial thing to me when I consider the $300/cord difference in price but to some money is no worry. I would say majority of people will do spruce/pine and tamarack but I would %100 be sure to have birch for the people willing to pay the premium.

Just kinda getting into the firewood sales side gig. Figure I would ask the great snow and mud people on there opinion as everybody is different. I burn wood in my outdoor boiler and have a crusher cone for a fire pit so I never really think about it as I just cut up whatever. I decided too sell Tamarack and pine because it’s available too me. I have been cutting up at 14” lengths which is fine. So what do fire pit and wood stove people prefer. Normally under 8” I do a 2 way split. And anything bigger I do a 4 way or 6 way split. I delivered a cord too Wabamun on the weekend. While unloading a few of his neighbours came over too help unload and chat. All seniors and asking for birch. I wouldn’t think many people would want birch for a fire pit since it’s $$$$. I can understand birch for a fireplace or stove.

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Frankenytro I hear you. My buddy in Sangudo that sells firewood told me the same thing. He said the well off people only burn birch outside. He was shocked as well. Birch prices are retarded. I seen an ad for Jmp the other day out of Carvel. I think he was just over $700 for a cord.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We got 2 true cords cut at 16 inches of spruce/pine mix, delivered this year. Cost us 460 for both and only get's used as outdoor wood. When I had an indoor fire place, I wood only burn birch, as it was hotter and left less residue in the chimney pipe and it wasn't that much for a cord back then. Average in Calgary no is 700-850 a cord of birch

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id rather burn birch, it gives off better heat and is less smoky and sparky, and it lasts longer.
Poplar is my next choice but I don’t care for the ash. But thats minor compared to a burn hole in a awning.

If I had a fireplace, I would avoid burning softwood, too much creosote buildup in the flue.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Birch is supposedly the hottest burning wood in terms of BTU’s. It’s sought after here because it’s the best we have. Easterners that I know consider it garbage wood and prefer to burn oak/maple and other hardwoods.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Id rather burn birch, it gives off better heat and is less smoky and sparky, and it lasts longer.
Poplar is my next choice but I don’t care for the ash. But thats minor compared to a burn hole in a awning.

If I had a fireplace, I would avoid burning softwood, too much creosote buildup in the flue.

Dry poplar burns just fine in terms of low smoke and spark, but yes it is messy. Not only in terms of ash, but also for splitting with bark that peels off. My crusher cone fire pit gets a steady diet of poplar, just because it’s always readily available, and it’s been known to go through a cord or better in a weekend.

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like you said most people don't know how much a cord is, I have a friend that sells 5 water tote cages (loose stack) as a cord and we had a little side bet if that even made a cord. We stacked 10 water tote cages into my 32"x48"x96" bins and there wasn't 2 cord.

Somewhere between 5-6 water tote bins are a cord

Top Bottom