Firewood sales

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Like you said most people don't know how much a cord is, I have a friend that sells 5 water tote cages (loose stack) as a cord and we had a little side bet if that even made a cord. We stacked 10 water tote cages into my 32"x48"x96" bins and there wasn't 2 cord.

Somewhere between 5-6 water tote bins are a cord

32”x48”x96” isn’t a full cord either. That only works out to 2/3rds. 48”x48”x96” would be.

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, thats why I said "bins", 3 of those bins makes exactly 2 cord. I have no idea how many water tote cages it would take to make a cord if you where to stack the wood in them, these where loose stacked, he has a conveyor that drops them in the cages.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Yes, thats why I said "bins", 3 of those bins makes exactly 2 cord. I have no idea how many water tote cages it would take to make a cord if you where to stack the wood in them, these where loose stacked, he has a conveyor that drops them in the cages.

A water tote cage is 1 m3 so just shy of 36 ft3. A cord is 128 ft3, so 3.5 totes stacked nice would make a cord.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup I agree, if they are stacked nice and the block length fills them its all good.

still 2 bins don't make 2 cords. stacked or loose? am i missing something?

stacked chord is 4x4x8 =128 cubic feet. Birch 5000lb +

loose chord to make a stacked chord, 160-170 cubic feet.

Last edited:

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't say 2 bins make 2 cord. I said 3 bins 32"x48"x96" make 2 cord. I also said it takes 5-6 loose stacked water tote cages to make a cord using 16" blocks.

A cord of wood is 4'x4'x8' split and stacked, 128cu ft. The key is split and stacked.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need to factor in price, BTU's, spark potential of wood and how much creosote it produces. i eliminated pine, spruce long time ago, birch has been priced ridiculously too high. burn lots of willow and cottonwood due to cost and access to cheap supply, maybe a bit more ash but you still need to clean out fireplace frequently whether you burn birch, spruce or willow. right now, i must have 30 cords of poplar to burn, so far have burnt 4 cords of willow poplar this winter, used the ash on driveway for traction too.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm surprised there's still a market for selling firewood. Seems to be a new guy popping up on every corner.There's 4 that I know of within a few miles of Spring Lake/Beach Corner.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife and I go out every fall and cut standing white poplar usually about 4-5 cords and it cost us a couple of cases of beer to the farmer and it is good exercise we have done this for almost 25 years only burnt 21/2 this year like the heat from the stove over the furnace but a lot of people don’t like the mess and the smell of smoke

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started my annual getting firewood today. Good load of larch. The ground sure got muddy as soon as soon as the temps got around +8. nothing burns like larch and fir

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm surprised there's still a market for selling firewood. Seems to be a new guy popping up on every corner.There's 4 that I know of within a few miles of Spring Lake/Beach Corner.
It's getting pretty crazy! That guy on 628 just west of the church has got more than a couple truck loads of lumber in the yard there.

I've got a bunch here to split. Going to rent a splitter in the next couple weekends and get it done.

Then I'll go up to the flatbush cabin and harvest my own with Glen

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just talked to a buddy of mine. He got pulled over out by Sundre with a load of firewood and no cutting permit. They gave him a written notice and 36 hours to get a permit.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Same with the one on 15 just north of the tracks.
It's getting pretty crazy! That guy on 628 just west of the church has got more than a couple truck loads of lumber in the yard there.

I've got a bunch here to split. Going to rent a splitter in the next couple weekends and get it done.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the rental rates are but lots of people buy the CT splitters. I have owned the same one for over 10 years and it has paid for its self many times over.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
around here you used to be able to buy pine buy thr semi load. Tree length obviously. Not this year. Due to the slow down in Oil activity salvage wood is scarce. Looking to buy a semi load and not having any luck.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure what the rental rates are but lots of people buy the CT splitters. I have owned the same one for over 10 years and it has paid for its self many times over.
Gas one is $98 for the weekend. We have an electric CT on up at the lake lot. I might bring it home next winter and take it back up in the spring

f7sp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a number or contact info for getting a permit for Strathcona county? I talked to a few people in there and nobody has a clue,been trying for awhile now

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone have a number or contact info for getting a permit for Strathcona county? I talked to a few people in there and nobody has a clue,been trying for awhile now
It's a provincial permit and you can get it by logging into your Alberta RELM account.

Top Bottom