Wood Stoves

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at putting in a wood stove in my shop. it is 30' x' 44' x 16' tall. steel prefabbed building, non insulated. concrete floor.

Looking on Kijiji and Market place for used, as It'll probably only get used a handful of times each year, I don't need anything too fancy.
But I really don't know a thing about it, I don't want to end up getting something too small or one that is too big.

Has anyone installed one in a shop similar to mine? what size did you go with? and would you recommend that set up to others?

Also, when I do put one in, am I best to install it in a corner? or just where ever wall space allows? and should I raise it off the floor? (I've seen a bunch on line and they are raised)

For the chimney, how far up the wall should I run it before going out the wall? Or just a straight run out the roof?

Thanks for your advise.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
First of all, you will need a big stove. That is a huge area with mega cu.ft. (21,120 to be exact). I heated 39,000 cu.ft. in a house with vaulted ceilings and 2x6 walls. Well insulated and good circulation. We had a Classic Blaze King (one of there biggest) and it did well until it got below -20C. Long burns with easily 8-10 hours and depending on temperature we would get 12 hours lots of times. if you are only using it part time, it will take a long time to get the heat up to a comfortable temperature.

A few things to consider:
1. In a shop/garage the bottom of the door has to be 18" above the floor according to the last inspection I had.
2. You will probably need a WETT inspection and a pre-inspection would be a good thing.
3. As for the chimney, think about the cleaning. You will need to get onto the roof to run a chimney brush through it but if you use the right chimney, it can be done from the bottom. Just take out the bottom piece and push the brush up to the top. A little tough but it can be done.
4. I think you can use double walled stainless black pipe on the inside and only require insulated chimney through the roof. This will add to the heating if you keep it all inside.

Good luck and don't cheap out on anything.

Another thought...........you may want to look at something with NG and ceiling hung. Insulation would be a big help.

Last edited:

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a nice big one in our basement. It’s probably too large for us as it overheats our house but we also have heated floors everywhere. I have had thoughts of switching it out for something different. More of a built into the wall kinda thing.

I can send you a pics if you are interested in my unit. It got used a bit our first few years in the house but hasn’t been used in years. I think it fits 22 inch logs a was one of the largest units available when I purchased it.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a nice big one in our basement. It’s probably too large for us as it overheats our house but we also have heated floors everywhere. I have had thoughts of switching it out for something different. More of a built into the wall kinda thing.

I can send you a pics if you are interested in my unit. It got used a bit our first few years in the house but hasn’t been used in years. I think it fits 22 inch logs a was one of the largest units available when I purchased it.

Sure. And an idea of cost.
It helps give a good comparison and idea of what I'm looking at and my options

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check what your municipality requires for emissions, this spring everything went to EPA 2020. If you are required to follow this you are stuck with a new stove.

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what Gemco sent back
I'll have to learn how to decipher wood stoves by size and what they put out.

I'm not looking to keep it heated all winter. Just take the chill off when I have to work in there come winter. Bring it to a comfortable temperature

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200820-165520_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-165520_Gmail.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 252

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check what your municipality requires for emissions, this spring everything went to EPA 2020. If you are required to follow this you are stuck with a new stove.
I think it's only required in the US. But all stove/fireplace manufacturers switched to this new standard instead of producing a separate standard for Canada. All new stoves are built accordingly and as a result that's all we can get in Canada. I might be wrong though.

craggar2011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't know you were looking Ryan or I would have told about the insulated stove pipe I sold last month. I would have just given to you.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with your insurance company if your rates will change. I actually disconnected our blaze king stove due to a $1700 yr premium for having it functional. I can't justify that even though I love it. A construction diesel/kerosene style heater may better suit your needs.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with your insurance company if your rates will change. I actually disconnected our blaze king stove due to a $1700 yr premium for having it functional. I can't justify that even though I love it. A construction diesel/kerosene style heater may better suit your needs.

I have a small diesel heater in there. And I find it fumes out the shop. And is hard to light when it's real cold.

Yeah I imagine my insurance will go up a bit.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's only required in the US. But all stove/fireplace manufacturers switched to this new standard instead of producing a separate standard for Canada. All new stoves are built accordingly and as a result that's all we can get in Canada. I might be wrong though.

I think you're right, when I bought my stove last year it appeared that the CSA standards would mirror the EPA ones, but now it looks like that isn't the case. Looks like we are still good with the old 4.5gr/hr emission rates instead of the 2.0 of EPA. I rushed out to buy and install a pre 2020 EPA stove for nothing.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Get a different insurance company. When I had TD insurance my premium went about about $200/year adding a wood stove, now with the Co-operators the premium increase is about the same.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a different insurance company. When I had TD insurance my premium went about about $200/year adding a wood stove, now with the Co-operators the premium increase is about the same.

Yeah a bit more complicated for me.. I am in a log house they can't just partially rebuild is the concern. I am also with cooperators

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah a bit more complicated for me.. I am in a log house they can't just partially rebuild is the concern. I am also with cooperators

I guess that makes sense, but still a steep bill. Must be pretty disappointing though, a log house just isn't a log house without a woodstove.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly a shop that size with an Edmonton winter you are going to be disappointed with a wood stove if you don't insulate. You'll be 6-8 hrs of burn time before you are comfortable to work in there and that's with a big stove like Fernie is recommending. I would recommend the same unit he did but they are far from cheap and used ones usually get snapped up quickly. Are you planning on insulating eventually? Do you have or willing to put in ceiling fans?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly a shop that size with an Edmonton winter you are going to be disappointed with a wood stove if you don't insulate. You'll be 6-8 hrs of burn time before you are comfortable to work in there and that's with a big stove like Fernie is recommending. I would recommend the same unit he did but they are far from cheap and used ones usually get snapped up quickly. Are you planning on insulating eventually? Do you have or willing to put in ceiling fans?

So heres what I'm working with.
I did have a couple insulators quote me on insulting this. Both around $25,000.00 - $30,000.00 range. They said they need at least 3" of spray foam, and the ribs on the walls add to the surface area needing to be sprayed.
So no I'm not planning on insulting. Unless I win the lotto.

As far as fans Go. I would eventually like to put one on the back wall near the top
Help draw out the fumes when I'm in there.

I looked at doing gas heat this spring.
That's a long run of gas line needed to tie into the house. And it has to cross my well line. I've called a few places to locate my well line. Everyplace says they cant do that.
So I figured. I've got my own mini forest why not wood..

Attachments

• 20200821_124117.jpg
    20200821_124117.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 204
  • 20200821_124213.jpg
    20200821_124213.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_20200821-124225_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200821-124225_Gallery.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot_20200821-124235_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200821-124235_Gallery.jpg
    691.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Screenshot_20200821-124246_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200821-124246_Gallery.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Screenshot_20200821-124256_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200821-124256_Gallery.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 204

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was suggesting ceiling fans more from the perspective of pushing the warm air down from the ceiling into the workspace.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would use roxul insulation and put tin roofing over top of it- probably cost you 2 to 3 grand to do it yourself - roxul keeps the critters out cuz it's made of metal slag - you can hold a torch to it and it doesnt get moldy - then do the wood stove last - just my 2 cents - I did my entire house and garage in roxul - best thing I ever did - I have a wood stove in my garage and I have a propane heater on the roof that runs off a 400lb tank have thermostat for it set at 4C - woodstove gets fired up at 6am before I head out

Top Bottom