Winch cable breaking

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys are killer sometimes - 40 posts and only about 13 or 14 of them relevant to Carrot's question. ...unless you're suggesting that the more time you spend drinking beer, the less time you spend getting stuck and the less likely you are to break a winch line.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys are killer sometimes - 40 posts and only about 13 or 14 of them relevant to Carrot's question. ...unless you're suggesting that the more time you spend drinking beer, the less time you spend getting stuck and the less likely you are to break a winch line.
We multitask .......

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 3/16" Amsteel Blue is rated for max 3000 lb winches and has a breaking strength of 4900 lb.
The 1/4" is is rated for max 4000 lb winches and has a breaking strength of 7700 lb.
The 5/16" can go on winches as big a 8000 lb and has a breaking strength of 12300 lbs.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you stretch the new cable before using it ?
you are supposed to unspool all but about 5 wraps of wire and hook on to a tree and winch the quad or sxs in neutral
until all the wire is back on the spool

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you stretch the new cable before using it ?
you are supposed to unspool all but about 5 wraps of wire and hook on to a tree and winch the quad or sxs in neutral
until all the wire is back on the spool

Really? I never heard of this before, but makes since to break it in first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's in the warn winch manual that came with the wife's can-am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so how long should a guy engage his winch, 10-20 secs and see if winch is heating up. i have never really checked to see if it was getting hot before. it kind of sounds like most peoples trouble has been long winch times, too much of a pull or to many raps on the drum. very interesting indeed.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winch cables just don't snap for no reason. You are doing something wrong somewhere.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winch cables just don't snap for no reason. You are doing something wrong somewhere.
Well there's not much that you could do wrong while winching? Got stuck, put winch line around tree, winched in and snap. I think that what a earlier poster said is true that in his winch manual it said to stretch out the cable with the quad in neutral, cause this is a fairly new line and this stuck I had the winch line out further than normal so the stretch of cable was brand new that broke and had no stress on it yet. But still kinda gay how it would break..

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there's not much that you could do wrong while winching? Got stuck, put winch line around tree, winched in and snap. I think that what a earlier poster said is true that in his winch manual it said to stretch out the cable with the quad in neutral, cause this is a fairly new line and this stuck I had the winch line out further than normal so the stretch of cable was brand new that broke and had no stress on it yet. But still kinda gay how it would break..

Yup, I can relate, happened to me , about my 5th winch, last time it got reeled in it got "birdcaged" pretty good, as some one other then me fed the line back previous to the break , now i got the wireless control and synthetic cable, so that wont happen again.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is your roller fairlead nicked up ? Are the nylon bushings shot allowing the cable to get trapped down the side of the roller ?

Top Bottom