Winch cable breaking

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it would be more economical to replace/repair an axle than start repairing rest of drive train.

Don't think a jeep would make it were we go in a week let aline be back for cold beers by 6 or so. Haha.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would have to catch it first... Lol

I miss bikin. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring it out! Have had a few dirt bikes out on our trips, Maybe ya can show us how it's done, although very few ride the second day other than Dustin on a honda 230. He's a good rider, goes through or finds a route around everything. He's also 17, friggin young guys, lol

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bring it out! Have had a few dirt boles out on our trips, Maybe ya can show us how it's done, although very few ride the second day other than Dustin on a honda 230. He's a good rider, Goes through or finds a route around everything. He's also 17, friggin young guys, lol

Worst thing I ever did in my whole life was sell my YZ250 and buy a Sportsman 500. I got a TTR125L here(my wifes)... Should be enough bike... When?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worst thing I ever did in my whole life was sell my YZ250 and buy a Sportsman 500. I got a TTR125L here(my wifes)... Should be enough bike... When?

Planning on going july long weekend, Plan is to go out wed and stay the week, Looks like at the lease down west of caroline. Come on out for a day ride, I'm thinking it will be wet, will have to be careful going through water areas, as you can't see ruts stumps etc. the bike should be ok to ride, not about power, mostly tires. Lots of ways around usually

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with the guys. There's no way you should be snapping quality steel cables under normal loads unless the cable is damaged, jerked, or stretched across an obstacle. If you're snapping steel cables, you'll snap synthetic ones three times as fast since they don't respond well to abrasion or jerking - even just mud eventually weakens these ropes with micro abrasion. The bonus with the synthetic is that you can tie or splice them back together while you're on the trail and they won't dismember someone when they do snap.

A snatch block may be you're best bet, but I'm betting that there's something else going on there. I'd also take special precaution and start putting a blanket or jacket on the line when your pulling to help absorb some of the cable energy when it does snap - no need to kill yourself or one of your buds.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Planning on going july long weekend, Plan is to go out wed and stay the week, Looks like at the lease down west of caroline. Come on out for a day ride, I'm thinking it will be wet, will have to be careful going through water areas, as you can't see ruts stumps etc. the bike should be ok to ride, not about power, mostly tires. Lots of ways around usually
Dirt bikes and SxS's.....I'm gonna have to bring extra beverages.....

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You just had to prove me wrong lol. Yah jerking is hard on everything

Baaahhhhh.

Have broke winch drums, synthetic rope and never at steel cable.

All with a good tug.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baaahhhhh.

Have broke winch drums, synthetic rope and never at steel cable.

All with a good tug.

I have broke steel cables but they were damaged. Never broken amsteel blue before. My brother had warn synthetic and it broke steady it was junk.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have broken the amsteel several times always the first 10 to 15 ft of rope, it doesn't like wear or dirt embedded i the strands, it is easier on the hands and body than steel cable

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have broke steel cables but they were damaged. Never broken amsteel blue before. My brother had warn synthetic and it broke steady it was junk.

I can show you how o break yours...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Free Beer to all sxs owners

well dave has no real way to carry said beer on his yellow buzzy bee(lol) so i can carry those free beer he has so graciously offered to provide, in the back of the ranger. although he will be so far ahead of me that i may have to stop and partake a few times. lol.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well dave has no real way to carry said beer on his yellow buzzy bee(lol) so i can carry those free beer he has so graciously offered to provide, in the back of the ranger. although he will be so far ahead of me that i may have to stop and partake a few times. lol.

Sounds good. All sxs owners stop and enjoy free beer. Yellow buzzy bee will be ahead...

Top Bottom