6.7 Cummins smoking on hard acceleration

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Greetings friends, So I noticed my truck (2012 ram 3500) is starting to throw a bit of black smoke under hard acceleration. Nothing crazy but the thing is it never did anything before it was just clean mabey a puff right at the start for a second now it lasts for probably 5 or so seconds before it goes clean. Is this something I should be concerned about? Air filter is new and the truck is deleted. Thanks

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
air filter maybe restricting ?
maybe time for a new one?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you use fuel conditioner? I personally have noticed diesel fuel quality seems to be going down hill lately. Filled my wifes diesel the other day and it was stinking and smoking something terrible. Thought I was in trouble...Burnt half tank ran like ch!t, topped up with premium diesel and ran like a top again. Also added conditioner. Summit Ric recommended to use Alliant Diesel Lubrigard. Tried it and I think it works. In my 2022 f350 I can watch DPF ash load and it climbs much less slowly when I use conditioner. Can get at GCL in Edmonton.

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been using random stations lately…. WHO ever is cheapest. Air filter is clean but I don’t have a boots gauge to know if the boost dropped or not maybe I can check it with my scan tool live data .

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been using random stations lately…. WHO ever is cheapest. Air filter is clean but I don’t have a boots gauge to know if the boost dropped or not maybe I can check it with my scan tool live data .
when was the last time you changed it though ? 50,000 kms ago ?
Maybe an injector is sticking open and the fuel additive can help too. Perhaps too much fuel is being burnt

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Air filter? About 6500 km ago but it was last year now when I look back at my maintenance book . it’s a wix paper job . Yeah maybe I could run some cleaner through it but I rarely drive it which might be the problem to .

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Start with a new filter. Black is unburnt fuel so either its not getting air or its getting too much fuel and a new air filter is the cheapest option. Check under the hood for soot. Maybe you have a boost leak

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’ll give an air filter a try I guess and have a look around this weekend for soot . It’s nothing like the video lol .

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hood stack , 8 inch lift with 37’s just to make sure it’s useless…. And a race tune

No hood stack, 11", 24s and 38s, compound turbos.....I dont think my truck is useless :(

Last edited:

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on what your using it for . For me it would be useless. I use it for pulling my trailer and dump runs so yeah it would be useless to me . Reliably is most important to me in my situation

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on what your using it for . For me it would be useless. I use it for pulling my trailer and dump runs so yeah it would be useless to me . Reliably is most important to me in my situation

nothing tows better than 1000hp to the wheels let me tell ya haha.
Reliability isn't an issue after re building what an un named shop did to it in BC
Been to all the shops, as the saying goes want something done do it oneself.

My daily is a 96 12 valve haha. rides like ass compared to the mega.
Only shop I would recommend is inline automotive in south edmonton. If you cant get your issues figured I would take it there. Denise has been more than helpful/fair to me

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reliability isn't an issue after re building what an un named shop did to it in BC

Only shop I would recommend is inline automotive in south edmonton. If you cant get your issues figured I would take it there. Denise has been more than helpful/fair to me

Great shop to deal with

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’m curious the name of the shop as I live in BC, but I get it if you don’t want to post the name

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m curious the name of the shop as I live in BC, but I get it if you don’t want to post the name

im pretty sure you can guess haha
The best place I would recommend is in Summerland, Deputy Diesel. MArk Sheriff is a very good man

Top Bottom