Will Mtntk Fix Kit Actually Work?

Regan

Reaction score
Will try that, it's all in pieces anyways and easy to get at. Fuel delivery could be a source of my problem so makes sense to start with the simple things first

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will try that, it's all in pieces anyways and easy to get at. Fuel delivery could be a source of my problem so makes sense to start with the simple things first

I would be checking for bad crank bearings if they are failing they can cause a lean condition.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you have some issues but I don't think its the engine. I have witnessed my sled and other sleds in excess of 1500-2500 miles on the same pistons. Keep in mind this a 2013. 2011 and 2012 are a different story. You say you warmed up to 130. This is not possible at an idle. If you drive it to 130 and start to rip on it before the thermostat opens you will cold seize the engine which is what I think you did. More so with a new engine. I haven't seen guys poping pistons on the trails since the days of 2008-2010. The mtnk fix kit will work and does work, but if your having problems now it wont fix your problems. You either have a mechanical issue or a rider issue.

I thought the engine was the same since MY 11?

braaapbraaap

Reaction score
Picked up a 2010 assault this year with only 260miles on it. Decided to check the engine out right away. Already had piston damage due to slapping. Bottom of both skirts were looking worn. Aswell as scoring starting to happen in one hole. Had my cylinders honed at the dealer and installed the fix kit. Put 400 hard miles on since with out a hiccup :). Stock pistons were way sloppier in the bores than the mtntk ones.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 2010 assault this year with only 260miles on it. Decided to check the engine out right away. Already had piston damage due to slapping. Bottom of both skirts were looking worn. Aswell as scoring starting to happen in one hole. Had my cylinders honed at the dealer and installed the fix kit. Put 400 hard miles on since with out a hiccup :). Stock pistons were way sloppier in the bores than the mtntk ones.

i was surprised to see how sloppy the pistons were. .023 smaller than the fix i bought.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see, so would a guy be safe with a 15 then without a fix it?

13+ have thicker cylinder skirts, 14+ have new rings. 11+ have same junk thin pistons.

Run the sled with the oiler turned up till warrenty is off and if you still own it put a fix kit in. thats what im doing with my 14.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4100 kms on my 2013 and its time for a fix kit... Starting to lose compression :( Not a terrible run, I guess, but it blows my mind that a $15,000 unit can't last a little longer... Thank goodness for WARRANTY!!!

Russell P

Reaction score
I am going to be putting a Fix It Kit in to my 13 this fall, my question is what kind, prices, are any incompatable with a 13.1 PAR head and availability. What good and bad expieriences have people had. Will I need to pick up a P Commander-V or is stock mapping sufficient. Thinking of putting on a set of pyros for ease of mind.

Thoughts?

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to be putting a Fix It Kit in to my 13 this fall, my question is what kind, prices, are any incompatable with a 13.1 PAR head and availability. What good and bad expieriences have people had. Will I need to pick up a P Commander-V or is stock mapping sufficient. Thinking of putting on a set of pyros for ease of mind.

Thoughts?

For price and quality I got a couple kits from snowX performance they are yamaha cast pistons and cat rings aluminum spacer base gasket wrist pin bearing and circlips they are under 400

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

The MTNTK kit is in stock for 660.00 I believe it to be the best one. Way more testing and 5000 kits on the snow. You can use your par head but it will act like a 13.6 now because of the extra compression from the piston kit. No extra fuel needed. I have done over 100 of these kits with one failure to my knowledge.

rmscustom

Reaction score

Thoughts?

How many miles do you have on? Why do you think you need a fix kit? Have you got your motor apart yet to take precise measurements and diagnose what YOU need exactly? Questions everybody should ask themselves before spending money on a "fix kit". IMO

Russell P

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I have'nt heard of the Snow X version before, I'm sure they are a good kit, but I don't know what they are like for reliability. Plus putting Yamaha and Arctic Cat parts in to my Polaris, my riding partners would never let me live it down. ;)

Chrisco, do you keep these kits on stock, or do you have to order them in? Will you have them at the snowmobile show? Is there a realistic HP gain or unnoticeable? If I do decide to run the PAR head, what type of fuel mix would you recommend to ride locally?

sled only has about 800 miles on it, but warranty has run out andI would rather invest the money in to top end motor parts at my convienience than a helicopter lift and ruin a weekend. To each their own, but I look at it as preventive maintenance.

Top Bottom