Will Mtntk Fix Kit Actually Work?

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do some googling and try to get one with a cast piston. Im mot the brand loyal kinda person so for me its whatever works.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I have them in stock and I will also have them at the sled show. There is a noticeable difference you can tell as soon as you pull the rope.

rmscustom

Reaction score
sled only has about 800 miles on it, but warranty has run out andI would rather invest the money in to top end motor parts at my convienience than a helicopter lift and ruin a weekend. To each their own, but I look at it as preventive maintenance.

Completely with you on that. Did my 13 after the first year with 1300 miles on even though I had another year of warranty left. Pistons were decent but the rings were shot. RKT got my money and I'm very happy with the power increase... The way the 14s run with over 2000 miles that I've been around I would seriously consider stock pistons if I were to do it again.

Last edited:

Russell P

Reaction score
Completely with you on that. Did my 13 after the first year with 1300 miles on even though I had another year of warranty left. Pistons were decent but the rings were shot. RKT got my money and I'm very happy with the power increase... The way the 14s run with over 2000 miles that I've been around I would seriously consider stock pistons if I were to do it again.

What kind of increase can a guy expect. I realize everyone's " Ass of your pants dyno" is different. LOL

Russell P

Reaction score
Has anyone run a 13 to 1 head with this kit in the flatland, if so, what do you have to run for fuel? Or are you better off with the stock head?

rmscustom

Reaction score
What kind of increase can a guy expect. I realize everyone's " Ass of your pants dyno" is different. LOL

I picked up 3-4 mph trackspeed with rkts drop in kit but that requires a fuel box. It out pulls my buds 14 that is geared and clutched that runs really well. Its not world changing power but it is noticeable.

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran a mtntk fix kit last winter turbo at 9 pound, no problems..
But when I was assambling with reman cylinders it, the pistion clearance was to tight, .0039
Got the cylinders honed to .0055 then gaped the rings to the large side of the spec.

snowho

Reaction score
I blew mine up at 1600 M not impressed at all. It has extended warranty so Polaris gave me a new crate motor but I have not seen either since mid March. It's been a very frustrating experience. Cycle works Calgary service department said its bike season not sled season so we should have it maybe done in September they also said the piston kit makes it worse which I do not believe . They have totally discouraged me from buying another Polaris and that's why I ordered a new doo T3 163. A friend told me once that 95% of the Pro RMK's are still on the trail today the other 5% made it back to the truck. I think he could be right.

Last edited:

geo

Reaction score
Lol. I was looking for one of those Pro's left on the trail for a couple of years. Carried some money with me to make a deal right away lol. Wanted to build something from a blowed up one but gave up looking. They`re just not around as much as you read I guess lol. So I just bought a '13 cause couldn't wait any longer.

I installed the Mntkt kit last year after 1700 miles cause read I should. Kit works well. At 2700 miles, I won`t make the mistake (moral of my story) of ripping it apart again until some noise or power issues tell me to.
Lots of Pro`s out here. Not many rollers without motors for sale though.

Dang internet

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. I was looking for one of those Pro's left on the trail for a couple of years. Carried some money with me to make a deal right away lol. Wanted to build something from a blowed up one but gave up looking. They`re just not around as much as you read I guess lol. So I just bought a '13 cause couldn't wait any longer.

I installed the Mntkt kit last year after 1700 miles cause read I should. Kit works well. At 2700 miles, I won`t make the mistake (moral of my story) of ripping it apart again until some noise or power issues tell me to.
Lots of Pro`s out here. Not many rollers without motors for sale though.

Dang internet

That may be because its a cheap fix. But there was one on here but the guy stopped responding.

Russell P

Reaction score
Thanks for the input and info guys. Think I will be going with an MTNTK setup. Besides I still owe one to Chrisco from last year when he helped me out with an A arm and shock. Good guy and good support make people in to repeat customers. Still curious if I should put the 13 to 1 head on though. Do the majority of my riding in the flat land around 2000 feet elevation. Would I have to run race gas, or can I get away with shell premium, or a 50/50 mix? Any info would be great. Thanks.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will need some sort of mix in the tank, 50/50 av would be a good start if you want to run that 13.1 head at home.

honda450

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my experience do not out a mtntk kit in of you have slp porting work done. It screws the port timing up and makes a rpm fluctuation at wot. I have done this to two sleds and they both do. Put rk tek spuds in and she's now a xm eating missile just like it was before the crank went.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to stir the pot, but yes it is. I had mine idling before a ride, just warming up like always, and started farting around in the garage. Went out to check and it was up to 140F. I took it into the loose snow to bring it down. It was about -10C outside that day.

you can get the motor to shut off from idling and getting too hot.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my experience do not out a mtntk kit in of you have slp porting work done. It screws the port timing up and makes a rpm fluctuation at wot. I have done this to two sleds and they both do. Put rk tek spuds in and she's now a xm eating missile just like it was before the crank went.

well said!

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well said!

Well no doubt...... spacer between the case and cylinder taller piston hmmmmmmm might have something to do with altering the porting from SLP. RKT stock fitment pistons and it runs like a missile. Does anyone else see this or is it just me lol.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well no doubt...... spacer between the case and cylinder taller piston hmmmmmmm might have something to do with altering the porting from SLP. RKT stock fitment pistons and it runs like a missile. Does anyone else see this or is it just me lol.

I think we get it, but man it was a connect the dots as to what words he was trying to say. :)

Must be bumpy roads down around Rosetown that he was texting on.

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of mtntks recommendation to run the older fuel maps with these kits? Has anyone tried it? If so is it worth it? I will be running the fix kit with 13.1:1 par head on a 2013. Just trying to decide if I should change the fuel mapping as they recommend or leave the stock map.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of mtntks recommendation to run the older fuel maps with these kits? Has anyone tried it? If so is it worth it? I will be running the fix kit with 13.1:1 par head on a 2013. Just trying to decide if I should change the fuel mapping as they recommend or leave the stock map.

DO NOT FU%$ WITH THE MAP !!!!!! For one that old map is for a CFI 4 motor not your CFI 2. They have not updated there instructions for the new sleds, there is no new flash.

Top Bottom