Wicked day on a Sidewinder!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund who are you hearing this from?? I just changed my track from the 1.75 to a 2.6 (on a BTX) I had to put 7 tooth drivers on so it would fit and was under the assumption I'd have to do gearing as well. Figured I'd be safe with the 21/49 like on the mtx SW and vipers always have been. My Mcx Viper was 21/49 too. My concern is gear it too high and the lugs will fly apart

This is being worked out by me and Chad at CR. We are mapping out a build using a BTX instead of the MTX.
It will sport a 174x3 running on Iceage rails and Kiss coupler with Zbroz shock to control ski lift.
We know the MTX is geared too low, ride reports from riders are telling us this. I will be talking to Chad tomorrow and find out how the taller gears are working out. I also need to find this out before proceeding with any build. Will get back to you once i know more on results.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone try the MBRP stainless exhaust header on the viper? They claim an extra 5 hp on a stock machine. Looks like a shorter header design. Possibly maybe quicker spooling on a turbo. The SW looks like a shorter header design for sure.

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The power difference between my 2 stroke turbo and my 4 strokes was huge, most people think there is a big weight difference. I didn't find the 80lbs worth the power loss. Theres 80lbs of weight difference between the biggest and smallest riders in our group.

I geared my viper up to 22/48, I had to gear my nypex way up to 24/39.

For the guys that are changing drivers on vipers, or I imagine the sidewinder is the same. Calibrating your speedo after is a question I asked a few dealers with no avail. I ended up taking one of the magnets out of the rubber plug in the end of the drive shaft to get mine accurate again, worked well.

I have a MBRP header coming in the mail this week, so Ill see if it works better or not.

Lund, keep us in the loop how your build goes, theres a MTX and a BTX sitting at my local dealer looking for a new home.:d

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone try the MBRP stainless exhaust header on the viper? They claim an extra 5 hp on a stock machine. Looks like a shorter header design. Possibly maybe quicker spooling on a turbo. The SW looks like a shorter header design for sure.
i have the straight line header on my viper. The spooling time is nihht and day better than stock.

kmcl

Reaction score
how are they so much different? I have a 2015 viper with a 2016 front end (identical to sidewinder) and I find it easy lays over on its side. Holds a sidehill extremely well too. The chassis is basically identical except for the steering which is similar to the 2014 vipers....the engines in each must be mounted similar or they wouldnt be using the same belts and jackshaft or jackshaft brace....so please explain the differences?? with the rebates on the vipers a guy can buy one for $7,900 and throw a water to air turbo kit on it and have some serious fun and still be cheaper than a new sidewinder......

While I agree the viper is a good sled... it's actually the sled that turned me from doo to Yamaha.... the geometry changes mentioned above coupled with the power that pulls hard all the way through make the sidewinder have a much more nimble feel. Like they said too, the fact that the weight is off the skis and more centralized makes a huge difference too

EDIT: and the fact that there is basically zero turbo lag is a game changer for 4s turbos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throw a stiffer front track shock spring on the viper max and it'll handle just as good as a sidewinder. I put a 160 in mine (110lb stock). It's bananas how much improved it is now. There's pages upon pages about this mod on totally yamaha.

kmcl

Reaction score
Throw a stiffer front track shock spring on the viper max and it'll handle just as good as a sidewinder. I put a 160 in mine (110lb stock). It's bananas how much improved it is now. There's pages upon pages about this mod on totally yamaha.

Don't get me wrong I love the viper too but it's seems like they improved on every aspect of it in the sidewinder. The handling is only part of it

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be tough to pass this deal up and do a build with it.
dedf0d522b461a44a74014263f808f68.jpg

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure a stock sidewinder. Which I'm not saying there is anything wrong with. But if you're a guy who wants to do a 174, skid, different boards, big hp turbo, etc this would be a cheaper route for the price. Can probably change up the steering as well and you'd likely be cheaper still than building an SW.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure a stock sidewinder. Which I'm not saying there is anything wrong with. But if you're a guy who wants to do a 174, skid, different boards, big hp turbo, etc this would be a cheaper route for the price. Can probably change up the steering as well and you'd likely be cheaper still than building an SW.

When Randy parks his 300 hp, 174 viper for winter and rides his stock sidewinder instead, you might want to pay attention.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When Randy parks his 300 hp, 174 viper for winter and rides his stock sidewinder instead, you might want to pay attention.
lets see if randy rides the stock sidewinder in thunderstruck or the viper. I'm betting he's on the viper.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Far from stock. And doesn't randy have a viper with a apex engine in it built by CR racing??

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think some people fail to realize that it is a lot more expensive then you might think to build a turbo sled.
Yes you can get a good deal on a Viper but if your plan is to turbo and convert it to a 174, be ready to dish out.
Here are some quick check number's to ponder upon.
174" track will run you a better part of 1500-1800.
174 rails 700-1000, depending if plain or anodized.
Tunnel cap, 600-700, plain or powder coated
Turbo setup, will run you in the 4-5,000 depending on system.
Now that's just the beginning, there might be some gear ratio changes and clutch tuning to be had.
Not including other goodies one might want like steering post and running boards, the list goes on.

Just stretching your sled from what ever length it was to a 174 will ring you about $3000
Now add the turbo set up. Now that's for a DIY.

That SW seems pretty nice huh.

I know cause i have been building sleds since the 90's, it adds up fast. My last build sucked me up for $35,000+

You could look at a used build's, but then was it done right. Used Nytro's go for nothing and lots are built extremely well, especially the CR builds. But then who wants a Nytro when you can have a Viper, or who wants a Viper when you can have a SW. LOL

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By your numbers that's still only a couple g more than a stock sidewinder with this sled as a base platform. For a way more powerful machine in the end. And aside from a few differences which you could change to make it close to the same like steering and arms, you can't argue it wouldn't be a bad ass sled for a reasonable price. Keep in mind before the mods you still have full warranty too and half the tax.

Some of you guys sound like doo'rs making it seem like the latest model is the be all end all. Same as the last year's vipers was the cats pajamas. All I'm saying is here's an opportunity to make the sled alot of the yammy guys wanted before the sw came out but couldn't afford it due to the upfront cost. If you want a 300hp beast that handles like a Cat/better than a Nytro, here's a good economic platform to start. If you want the latest and greatest to start with at double the price that's fine too.

I honestly couldn't care less what the big names ride. I ride what works for me. Next sled will be an SW. Because I don't want to wrench on a mod.

Top Bottom