Wicked day on a Sidewinder!

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
2016 and up Chassis are very similar. It was a huge leap forward and feel similar to SW. Expect the flat steering is a love hate relationship. I prefer the laydown post and low bars like SW. Engine and turbo characteristic of the SW is polar opposite from an aftermarket turbo of any sort on a Viper. I have a 2015 Viper MTX with 270 kit and 174 CR chassis. It will be getting the laydown post and bar positioning.
Cheers
RS

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after taking some time and looking at the parts catalog for each i still dont see many differences....even the whole chain case is the exact same...i understand that they can move everything back but then the chain case would have to be farther back or rolled back which is not the case with the sidewinder.....the fuel tank may have been redesigned to accommodate the new header?? im not trying to start an argument here i just dont see how its night and day different from the viper with the new style front end. The steering is the exact same part numbers as the 2014 vipers lol.

Chain case is the same on the SW as the Viper.
The engine is moved back by moving the front suspension forward, changing the centralization of the way it carries the weight.
The fuel tank is slightly redesign to fit the manifold layout.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lethal motorsports guys said with just a straight pipe it was revving at the desired rpms, that's without the fresh air kit tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hearing from Chad a 400rpm increase with both air and pipe, dyno test shows increase of approx. 30hp. They have been adding weight to the clutches with significant track speed increases from what the boys are reporting back.

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing from Chad a 400rpm increase with both air and pipe, dyno test shows increase of approx. 30hp. They have been adding weight to the clutches with significant track speed increases from what the boys are reporting back.

How much weight I wonder!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mines coming with the straight pipe in excited. Might have to do the intake aswell in near future tho

$600 upgrade and well worth it. To do the pipe and fresh air setup.
The SW run a 21/49 gearing and it is said they are too low. Guy's are going 21/41 and it really gets that track going.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The SW run a 21/49 gearing and it is said they are too low. Guy's are going 21/41 and it really gets that track going.

21/49 is super low, gear it up and load that motor, it will love it....I run 19/39 in my nytro....

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll probs just try it with the straight pipe for the rest of this season and then see about intake and gearing next year

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chain case is the same on the SW as the Viper.
The engine is moved back by moving the front suspension forward, changing the centralization of the way it carries the weight.
The fuel tank is slightly redesign to fit the manifold layout.

Im not seeing any comment about the front suspension being moved forward.

This is taken directly from YAMAHA 2017: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SIDEWINDER M-TX SE TURBO
"The same front and rear suspension, track and tunnel as the 2016 SR Viper M-TX returns for 2017"

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not seeing any comment about the front suspension being moved forward.

This is taken directly from YAMAHA 2017: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SIDEWINDER M-TX SE TURBO
"The same front and rear suspension, track and tunnel as the 2016 SR Viper M-TX returns for 2017"

I haven't torn one apart, this is what Yamaha has told me. The mounting of the motor is different (farther back)then the Viper making the front spindle more forward then the Viper. Yes it is the same suspension, i have said that numerous times. Its the mounting of the motor that is different because it is a different bulk head. Go to the Yamaha dealer and compare them side by side and ask them.

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't torn one apart, this is what Yamaha has told me. The mounting of the motor is different (farther back)then the Viper making the front spindle more forward then the Viper. Yes it is the same suspension, i have said that numerous times. Its the mounting of the motor that is different because it is a different bulk head. Go to the Yamaha dealer and compare them side by side and ask them.

I had a 174 T viper and have a 15 t viper so I know a little bit about them, as for going and comparing them side by side, not going to happen anytime soon to busy trying to get as many days in working to afford more junk....Oil patch life.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode the sidewinder on Friday, night and day to my viper in the way they handle! Holds a sidehill easier even on marginal snow. The power is very linear and smooth, will wheelie over backwards out of its own trench hahaha! There is not a stock sled manufactured today that has the power of this sled other than the AC with the same engine. Very impressed with the overall performance of this sled.

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lund who are you hearing this from?? I just changed my track from the 1.75 to a 2.6 (on a BTX) I had to put 7 tooth drivers on so it would fit and was under the assumption I'd have to do gearing as well. Figured I'd be safe with the 21/49 like on the mtx SW and vipers always have been. My Mcx Viper was 21/49 too. My concern is gear it too high and the lugs will fly apart

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode the sidewinder on Friday, night and day to my viper in the way they handle! Holds a sidehill easier even on marginal snow. The power is very linear and smooth, will wheelie over backwards out of its own trench hahaha! There is not a stock sled manufactured today that has the power of this sled other than the AC with the same engine. Very impressed with the overall performance of this sled.

what front end is on your viper?

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2015 but the 2 guy I rode with have 2016's and both said the same it handles totally different due to the balance and the straight steering post. More rider forward.

Top Bottom