Wicked day on a Sidewinder!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every body is a little different when it come to what ride they choose. While many choose out of the same bucket.
I have all ways been different in choosing my rides. When it comes to my personal sled there are thing i don't like, such as owning a sled every body else has and having a cookie cutter fresh out of the mold like every body else.
Sorry wraps doesn't cut it and does not fit in as mod. category imo.
What that mean's to me basically is i get what other's don't consider, personalizing it into my own.
I build my own sled's not with the idea of trying to save a buck but with the idea of creating my own personalized ride, so when you walk out of that cabin with 50-75 sled's sitting there, your's stand's out as different.
My point is, you don't need to buy a Side Winder, any sled will work. Set your self a budget and work with it to build your own personalized ride. If your finding the Viper suits you better, go for it.
Draft out your plan, adjust as needed to fit your budget and go.

Currently i can put together a Side Winder MTX with 174" track and fresh air intake and down pipe, approx. $20,650
I can build the "SAME" sled, 174", fresh air and pipe, using a BTX model for approx. $19,250

Currently you can not buy a Yamaha Side winder with these option's on it and it doesn't look like there will be anything like it for 2018, not sure but i doubt it.
But an MTX will probably be knocking at the $20,000 door for 2018.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Hey Lund it looks like we will have twins, we should get together on the hill and go putz around not keeping up to these 2 smokes in the trees and stay parked at the bottom of the hill cuz we cannot throw the extra weight around, ha ha ha. I get attention everywhere I go on this new sled, any video we have posted has gotten higher views than any other sled in our group and this is Yamahas best mountain sled built period. I too build my sled to do what I want and am not brand loyal but I have a feeling we won't be so different on the hill next year as Yamaha is gaining serious momentum with this beast, time will tell I guess.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Paul how's that last video coming? Make a YouTube account yet?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every body is a little different when it come to what ride they choose. While many choose out of the same bucket.
I have all ways been different in choosing my rides. When it comes to my personal sled there are thing i don't like, such as owning a sled every body else has and having a cookie cutter fresh out of the mold like every body else.
Sorry wraps doesn't cut it and does not fit in as mod. category imo.
What that mean's to me basically is i get what other's don't consider, personalizing it into my own.
I build my own sled's not with the idea of trying to save a buck but with the idea of creating my own personalized ride, so when you walk out of that cabin with 50-75 sled's sitting there, your's stand's out as different.
My point is, you don't need to buy a Side Winder, any sled will work. Set your self a budget and work with it to build your own personalized ride. If your finding the Viper suits you better, go for it.
Draft out your plan, adjust as needed to fit your budget and go.

Currently i can put together a Side Winder MTX with 174" track and fresh air intake and down pipe, approx. $20,650
I can build the "SAME" sled, 174", fresh air and pipe, using a BTX model for approx. $19,250

Currently you can not buy a Yamaha Side winder with these option's on it and it doesn't look like there will be anything like it for 2018, not sure but i doubt it.
But an MTX will probably be knocking at the $20,000 door for 2018.
What are you guys doing about ski stance? BTX is wider than the MTX by about 2-3".

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you guys doing about ski stance? BTX is wider than the MTX by about 2-3".

Hey Dale
We convert them over using Yamaha A-arm kit. Yamaha has a kit available that consist of lower and upper A-arms, spindle's and steering rodes. The spindle is not required but it comes in the kit.
You also need to get the shock shorten, its about $275-300 to get the shock modded. The kit will run you about $1000.
Yes the BTX stance is 40" c/c. MTX is 36" c/c. Both sled's use the same spindles and ski's and the 30deg camber is maintained. Very important in steering effort.

• Thanks
Reactions: LBZ

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Lund it looks like we will have twins, we should get together on the hill and go putz around not keeping up to these 2 smokes in the trees and stay parked at the bottom of the hill cuz we cannot throw the extra weight around, ha ha ha. I get attention everywhere I go on this new sled, any video we have posted has gotten higher views than any other sled in our group and this is Yamahas best mountain sled built period. I too build my sled to do what I want and am not brand loyal but I have a feeling we won't be so different on the hill next year as Yamaha is gaining serious momentum with this beast, time will tell I guess.

I suspect next year we will see more Yamaha's out there then usual. I think many guy's are going to jump ship for obvious reason. There is a lot of talk about them(SW), you don't need to come on S&M to find that out. But coming on forums like S&M you quickly realize issues of others and it enforces the thought of getting into a Yamaha. If your sitting on the fence, you just need to read some of the threads on S&M this season and that should help you make your decision easier.
Funny how it is, by posting sometimes about issues can be like shooting your self in the foot. For 2017, imo will be remembered for exactly that, in the case with a certain brand.

BTW, i was told once by a certain influential Yamaha person LOL. that we don't need to push our product like the other's do because (the other's) do it for us. Simply by their product they sell, in time it will come around.

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_1234.PNG
    IMG_1234.PNG
    349.9 KB · Views: 307
Reactions: LBZ

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ awesome deal holy.

So the guys today had a little radar run on a local lake. There was a good turn out with all makes running.
Anyhow, the Sidewinder BTX 153" were clocked consistently at 170+km/hr, while the MTX 162" were consistent at 130km/hr.
Not that it matter's much as mountain sleds go but the Sidewinder ran flat out the fastest times including out pulling "some" turboed Nytro's and Vipers. Especially out of the hole and getting the initial jump of 2-3 sleds.
These results are especially good for deep powder days hill climbing, as they are an indication of the type of track speed these sled's will be capable of during a climb.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Eastern boys seeing much the same. Stock Yammi/Cat getting the jump on most sleds. Great low end throttle response and torque!

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to riding the 163 SW this Monday, so I should have some feed back to give early next week ! (Cant wait, be a while since I rode a Yam )

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to riding the 163 SW this weekend should have some feed back early next week ? (Cant wait been a while since a rode a Yam. sled )

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any more guys riding sidewinders get with reviews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be riding one on Sunday for the day with the Yamaha tour. Looking forward to it except the snow does not look great but maybe low snow will be a good test for handling and weight.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

kmcl

Reaction score
Any more guys riding sidewinders get with reviews?

I snowchecked a sidewinder mtx in last years snowcheck. I am so impressed with it and every time I ride it I love it more. I ride deeper into the trees than I ever did on my doo and the guys I ride with are all shocked by how it handles in the tight trees

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I snowchecked a sidewinder mtx in last years snowcheck. I am so impressed with it and every time I ride it I love it more. I ride deeper into the trees than I ever did on my doo and the guys I ride with are all shocked by how it handles in the tight trees

That's awesome man! Picking mine up march 4th and it can't come any faster

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's everyone paying out the door? I need to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's everyone paying out the door? I need to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys

If you want to drive to Wetaskiwin he has one with 200 km on it. Young kid bought it and couldn't handle it. Traded it back in on a M8. It is mint. He spent a extra $2500 on another 3 years warranty. You can buy it for under $16000. Talk to Jerry.

Top Bottom