Wicked day on a Sidewinder!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious what clutch temps are like with the Yammi clutches versus the Cat clutches.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are those an average or WOT? Its pretty rich if that's average.

tuned very conservative....the manufacturers do this, my wifes WRX runs 11.8 at wot

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious what clutch temps are like with the Yammi clutches versus the Cat clutches.

Yamaha clutches simply don't run hot even after running in deep stuff. Both clutches are awesome and both handle big HP easily.
Neither one are BRP cookers, so i would never expect any issue concerning clutching on this sled.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha clutches simply don't run hot even after running in deep stuff. Both clutches are awesome and both handle big HP easily.
Neither one are BRP cookers, so i would never expect any issue concerning clutching on this sled.

This.

I have done pretty long sessions working the sled hard and can easily grab the clutches and belt with bare hands. Luke warm!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This.

I have done pretty long sessions working the sled hard and can easily grab the clutches and belt with bare hands. Luke warm!

Good to hear. I know a few Cat guys that jumped to Yamaha for this very reason. 2017 Cat seems to have figured out the clutch heat issue, but reports from the Yammi camp are they are running cooler, longer belt life, and belts are cheaper. Another win for the Yamaha.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, about $100, if you end up buying one. They run the long run unless you do something silly like I do sometimes lol

kmcl

Reaction score
So are they just totally different than the turbo vipers? Handling, power, etc?

I've never been able to lay a Viper over like this without washing out or flopping over
09913ffd3c85ad5ed3fa81522ba9c9de.jpg

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So hearing the not so good news from Cat this week, even my dealer was a little disappointed. I have been comparing the Kingcat and Sidewinder and it looks like the Sidewinder will be my choice.
These two sleds are not the same, in fact are fairly different. Here are some differences from me looking at them that i have noticed.
Clutching on the Cat are a Team setup, Yamaha is their typical YVXC design. The gear box is also different on the Cat with different gearing and dropped and rolled. The wiring is not as well routed and protected on the Cat and fit and finish is not as good (noticeably)as it is on the Yamaha.
They use different ski's and the running boards are wider on the Yamaha by about 1", my feet fit on the Yamaha boards but not on the Kingcats boards.

For those interested, i'm now working out a deal on both an MTX and a BTX for my base model. I think the BTX would be the better choice for the build.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So hearing the not so good news from Cat this week, even my dealer was a little disappointed. I have been comparing the Kingcat and Sidewinder and it looks like the Sidewinder will be my choice.
These two sleds are not the same, in fact are fairly different. Here are some differences from me looking at them that i have noticed.
Clutching on the Cat are a Team setup, Yamaha is their typical YVXC design. The gear box is also different on the Cat with different gearing and dropped and rolled. The wiring is not as well routed and protected on the Cat and fit and finish is not as good (noticeably)as it is on the Yamaha.
They use different ski's and the running boards are wider on the Yamaha by about 1", my feet fit on the Yamaha boards but not on the Kingcats boards.

For those interested, i'm now working out a deal on both an MTX and a BTX for my base model. I think the BTX would be the better choice for the build.

You are very correct on comparison... The Yamaha by far is a superior product for some of you mentioned.. rivets and bolts as well.. Yes the KC boards SUCK.. Pepperoni stick is wider than those! The QCQA is second to none on the Yamaha IMO. The underhood fit and finish on the KC is yucky.... and the KC is more $$. Yes you get Evols in front but oh well.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are very correct on comparison... The Yamaha by far is a superior product for some of you mentioned.. rivets and bolts as well.. Yes the KC boards SUCK.. Pepperoni stick is wider than those! The QCQA is second to none on the Yamaha IMO. The underhood fit and finish on the KC is yucky.... and the KC is more $$. Yes you get Evols in front but oh well.
Hmm you would have figured they woulda shared wiring harnesses seeing as how they are sharing motors and chassis already........

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never been able to lay a Viper over like this without washing out or flopping over//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/09913ffd3c85ad5ed3fa81522ba9c9de.jpg

how are they so much different? I have a 2015 viper with a 2016 front end (identical to sidewinder) and I find it easy lays over on its side. Holds a sidehill extremely well too. The chassis is basically identical except for the steering which is similar to the 2014 vipers....the engines in each must be mounted similar or they wouldnt be using the same belts and jackshaft or jackshaft brace....so please explain the differences?? with the rebates on the vipers a guy can buy one for $7,900 and throw a water to air turbo kit on it and have some serious fun and still be cheaper than a new sidewinder......

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are they so much different? I have a 2015 viper with a 2016 front end (identical to sidewinder) and I find it easy lays over on its side. Holds a sidehill extremely well too. The chassis is basically identical except for the steering which is similar to the 2014 vipers....the engines in each must be mounted similar or they wouldnt be using the same belts and jackshaft or jackshaft brace....so please explain the differences?? with the rebates on the vipers a guy can buy one for $7,900 and throw a water to air turbo kit on it and have some serious fun and still be cheaper than a new sidewinder......

They are significantly different, i thought the same until i really look into them, the outer appearance seems that way but they are not. Even though they use the same tunnel, front and rear suspension. The BULK HEAD is the big difference, it mounts the front and rear suspension in relation to the engine a lot different.
The engine sits farther back, so less weight is carried by the front and more is carried by the rear. They also had to redesign the fuel tank to accommodate the new lay out, this in turn moved more of the fuel weight over the chassis.
These changes are drastic by making the sled carry its own weight, with less ski spindle weight the rider input is dramatically improved.
Going back to the Nytro day's, that was the #1 issue why the Nytro felt so heavy. Too much spindle weight and not enough weight spread over the chassis.
A lot of Nytro riders figured this out by installing foreward mounted A-arms, this made a huge difference in weight vs rider input. The same principle apply's here with the new SW.

IMO the engineering aspect of this machine is amazing, there is almost no difference in weight between a Nytro, Viper and Sidewinder. Yet the Sidewinder feel's from what i'm hearing 100lbs lighter to ride. Simply, its all about geometry and awesome engineering.

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think another huge difference is that there is virtually zero engine braking. So it doesn't dive when you let off the throttle.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are significantly different, i thought the same until i really look into them, the outer appearance seems that way but they are not. Even though they use the same tunnel, front and rear suspension. The BULK HEAD is the big difference, it mounts the front and rear suspension in relation to the engine a lot different.
The engine sits farther back, so less weight is carried by the front and more is carried by the rear. They also had to redesign the fuel tank to accommodate the new lay out, this in turn moved more of the fuel weight over the chassis.
These changes are drastic by making the sled carry its own weight, with less ski spindle weight the rider input is dramatically improved.
Going back to the Nytro day's, that was the #1 issue why the Nytro felt so heavy. Too much spindle weight and not enough weight spread over the chassis.
A lot of Nytro riders figured this out by installing foreward mounted A-arms, this made a huge difference in weight vs rider input. The same principle apply's here with the new SW.
you mean the engine is more laid back? Seems odd that the viper drive belt and sidewinder are the same if it's totally different.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you mean the engine is more laid back? Seems odd that the viper drive belt and sidewinder are the same if it's totally different.

If you move the engine you move the gear box and secondary in relation with it. That's the bulk head design.
And no the engine IS more back and not laid back.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what is the realistic weight difference between this and a comparable 2 stroke? Not looking to start a debate on whether weight matters or not. Stock ready to ride, full of fluids....what would one of these be? Seems like their is some low hanging fruit on these as far as weight loss. How much can a guy get down to with a battery, hood, and exhaust?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW, CR is seeing dyno number's with there fresh air induction and drop pipe kit, exceeding 220hp conservatively. Anywhere from 220-230hp with NO ecu update or reprogram.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
The weight difference depends on the sled, the sidewinder with fuel is in the 630 isn pounds and the G4 with fuel is in the 570 ish area with electric start. An Axy is super light so there is more than 100 pounds difference. I have a straight pipe and lightweight battery on my sidewinder and have dropped 30 pounds off already which is very noticeable on the can side for sure. I will be doing a seat mod and a air intake which will drop a few more pounds off and I will leave it after that because it is easy to ride already.

Top Bottom