Who started in Mountains on a Fancooled Sled

Sessionsdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had an phazer for my first sled I owned when I was 18. Rode a family friends polaris indy lite 340 136" early 90s before that.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. 1969 Moto-Ski Zephyr. Dad bought it for us brand new. Had lots of fan cooled since then.

Attachments

• motoski.jpg
    motoski.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 84

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hah, does a free air count? 1980 TXC 340. Purchased 2 of them new in the crate. Had to assemble, PDI ourselves. Many fun miles were put on those machines.
That’s the exact sled Carl Kuster started riding in the mountains,it was a trade in at CC Cycle that Carls parents owned Jim&Claudette.It didn’t look that pristine,the hood was in 6 pieces and they drilled a zillion holes and sewed the pieces together with wire.They tapered the tunnel and ran the 121“ track,that thing was impressive in the deep snow.There we’re a lot of those Red Formula Plus owner‘s who hated that sled as it would run circles around them when snow was deep.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t far off a fan sled. 470 mxz with plastic paddles. 1996 was the first year I went. I can remember driving to the mountains hoping it was tracked out so I could actually go some where instead of digging all day lol.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plastic paddles and some even had the bolt on 1.5" or 2" spikes

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1978 Arctic Cat Jag Free Air with my Dad, Uncle and cousins from Tete Jaune

View attachment 262638

Rode that exact machine from when I was 8-15. Would go with my grandpa and dad all winter. Took it everywhere from caterac creek, golden area, crows nest pass. Still got it took it up to the vintage ride in boulder a few years ago. Good memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cheyenne 500. First water cooled sled was a 97 summit 670

west coast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1993 on a 92 indy trail 488 fan cooled 121” track.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1980 Yamaha ss 440. Long tracked it ftom a 117 to a121”. Cut the tunnel, added the plastic paddles and off we went…… kinda. Lol.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of reply’s that great,I ran fancooled from 1986-2007 first one was a 82 Polaris TX-C 121“ 1/2”lug then long track 136” with plastic paddles.In 93 got a Indy Lite with a transplant full mod 488 that I rode till 2002 when built custom Indy Lite with chain case rolled forward and 144”.
Had epic trips with those sleds and the Indy Lites seen 16 different mountains in the Valemount local,those were the days🤓

Was chatting with a friend that was in our old riding group this morning and we got reminiscing about the exploring days way back.I had miscounted and it was 18 mountains we rode in Valemount area not 16🤓

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,,, those were the days...

Fight most of the day too get too the cabins...

Things improved alot when the plastic bolt on paddles showed up...

121" with 1" or 1 1/4" paddles in Polaris Purple... Ha

Skidoo had yellow and or Articat Green

They were all over the place

Don't know what the caribou thought of them...

It was easy finding the power climbing hills since there wouid be 1000's of plastic colored paddles scattered out every where

Most hidden sleeper rocks had patches of paddles laying around them...

Lots of good times stuck...

Kinda like high elevation fitness training,,, its no wounder there was alot of drinking back then...

Plastic paddles,,, empty beer cans ,,, and shredded V-belts...

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s the exact sled Carl Kuster started riding in the mountains,it was a trade in at CC Cycle that Carls parents owned Jim&Claudette.It didn’t look that pristine,the hood was in 6 pieces and they drilled a zillion holes and sewed the pieces together with wire.They tapered the tunnel and ran the 121“ track,that thing was impressive in the deep snow.There we’re a lot of those Red Formula Plus owner‘s who hated that sled as it would run circles around them when snow was deep.
I remember the first time I walked into CC. Wow trophy after trophy didnt have a clue who he was.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,,, those were the days...

Fight most of the day too get too the cabins...

Things improved alot when the plastic bolt on paddles showed up...

121" with 1" or 1 1/4" paddles in Polaris Purple... Ha

Skidoo had yellow and or Articat Green

They were all over the place

Don't know what the caribou thought of them...

It was easy finding the power climbing hills since there wouid be 1000's of plastic colored paddles scattered out every where

Most hidden sleeper rocks had patches of paddles laying around them...

Lots of good times stuck...

Kinda like high elevation fitness training,,, its no wounder there was alot of drinking back then...

Plastic paddles,,, empty beer cans ,,, and shredded V-belts...
I had great luck with paddles just made my own from lengths of 90 deg. UHMW white angle material,1-3/4” I believe never lost any.Must have been 10 yrs never seen a cabin,must of been riding wrong areas lol!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a couple of Everest 500 Fans for ditch banging. But my first trip to the hills was with a brand new '95 Formula 500S, which had a 500FC and a 121 track.
Made many trips to CNP and Vale in the 94-95 season.
Then in November '96 I sold my 95 and bought a brand new 97 Summit 583, with a 136x1.5 Then I was stylin in Vale, lol.

sledhed88

Reaction score
Dad brought me out for the first time to Allan in 2000, riding a 96 Indy Lite.
Riding with Jim was always good memories ^^

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started on a 340 enticer and had 3 phasers before going liquid cooled.
The Phazers were a great sled and would go In the deep stuff where higher hp sleds struggled with being heavy.

There was group of guys west of me that ran major Big Bore Mods and Custom chassis in the early 90’s, these guys had the best money could buy.They hired this guy in the interior to guide them around,the guide had a modded Phazer with the axle bolted under the running boards open chain and 4-1/2” plastic paddles.They were in awe how this thing would go in the deep stuff,not fast but nearly unstoppabl.

Top Bottom