Who should you support

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Most clubs/organizations need volunteers more than $$$... We had rig mats donated by a siesmic company and make enough money from trail passes and memberships to cover our costs, we are afterall "non-profit" The rig mats however would have been good for none had 12 people, 7 quads, 1 sxs, 4 chainsaws, 8 shovels and a massey tractor combined for 84 man hours not showed up on a chilly sunday morning to put them to use...
The dollars are great for those who can/want to support in that manner however volunteer time and commitment is of greater value...

I'm not preaching nor am I in a position too as I didn't commit to being involved until last year. I just think that more people should lend a hand and look into their local clubs and the work that they do to enhance the power sports we all enjoy...

Sled trail rig mats.jpg

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned about so many comment that business pay because they are for profit.

I agree that being good corporate citizens is important to further the market in which they sell into, but should the focus not be mostly be directed to the users that actually use the areas?

Everyone has their choice of where to buy, and what price they are willing to buy for. I don't think ill of anyone that doesn't want to support a business because they don't support what's important to them. That's our choice as consumers. My issue is vilifying any business for not doing it. Everyone has choices.

Don't think anyone was saying businesses should pay because they are for profit I think they were saying it would be nice if businesses that are seriously involved in the snowmobile industry support snowmobile federations and/or snowmobile clubs to ensure their own future viability as without any managed areas in Alberta and BC there would be a very limited market for sleds, aftermarket parts and mod's. As well I do not think anyone was saying only businesses should be invloved it was just this thread started singling out some businesses. For sure the first level of involvement should be the riders themselves, if they have the time, volunteer where they ride, if they have the money, donate where they ride as it is in all our best interests. As well I do not think anyone was vilifying any particular business they were just stating facts, that some companies doing a fair bit of business with riders in a certain managed area do not show on the donor list for that particular managed area. A company has the absolute and unequivocal right to donate or volunteer with whatever organization or organizations they wish but the customer is king and as you say the customer also has a choice to not to support a business that does not support what is important to them.

wrelyks

Reaction score
Here's a question? How many on here would object to a $25 surcharge on the price of a new sled that went to club support fund and was split across the various areas they we ride? Or all clubs in western canada? That should be enough for most dealers to be a sponsor of all the major areas.

I know I'd gladly pay it.

I know if I spent a good portion over $10000 on a new sled and the dealer asked me if I wanted to add $25 donation to a a club of my choice, they would do the leg work getting the donation there, my answer would be yes. I ride all over B.C. and in southern Alberta so chosing one might be difficult, but that seems to be an easy way to increase support for the clubs. Not everyone that buys sleds in Alberta rides in the mountains or even go to BC in the winter for that matter, that way people support the areas they want. Who know you might even be able to buy one less case of beer the following weekend and support two different groups.....

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know if I spent a good portion over $10000 on a new sled and the dealer asked me if I wanted to add $25 donation to a a club of my choice, they would do the leg work getting the donation there, my answer would be yes. I ride all over B.C. and in southern Alberta so chosing one might be difficult, but that seems to be an easy way to increase support for the clubs. Not everyone that buys sleds in Alberta rides in the mountains or even go to BC in the winter for that matter, that way people support the areas they want. Who know you might even be able to buy one less case of beer the following weekend and support two different groups.....[/QUOTT

Toyboy and wrelyks might be onto something here. You go into Canadian Tire, Safeway and other merchants and they ask if you would like to "donate" (not mandatory) a toonie to Children's Miracle Network, Breast Cancer, etc. They raise millions of dollars for that way for these more than worthwhile charities. Local dealers, local aftermarket suppliers and local mod shops could do the same thing for snowmobile clubs in BC and Alberta and even though there would be some adminstration involved on their part it would make them look good when they present a couple grand cheque at the end of the year to Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, ASA, Tri-County or the like without actually laying out their own cash.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The RCMP is a national police force, they don't report to the village of Valemount

Just sayin

Is the sky purple in your world????:rolleyes: We have RCMP in our family; and the community they work in does have some input into where they would like to see enforcement efforts concentrated. Such as concentrating on speeding in school zones and drug use around skateparks vs sitting at a stop sign at the edge of town. This has nothing to do with donations, but you seem to think you can chuck out BS like it's candy at a parade, and have everyone gather it in and eat it up. Sorry about the off topic post everyone. I think we all need a shot of pow in the face to cool down a bit.:beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom