Who all has broken down sleds?

Anthony

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha 700 Venture 2003.

Belt Spins, Track Won't move, makes lots of noise and smoke.

Going to the dealer this week, then selling it.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was riding into Quartz on Sunday for my avy course and 5 minutes down the trail my sled started overheating. Pulled it over and opened the hood to find my coolant line had somehow relaxed down and rested on the head. My brother-inlaw had to double me in so I could get the course done. No time to drag it back to the trailer. I'm really happy that sledders are good people cause I was a little worried about leaving the sled sitting on the trail for the whole day.:)

Tried to get to Golden on Saturday to ride but a truck hauling glass lost it about 15km east of Golden and held us up for 4.5 hours. Apparently there was glass 6 inches deep across the highway. We were planning on calling in sick today to go sledding but there are no polaris dealers in Golden. A weekend in Golden with lots of snow and no riding - not good. :(

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was riding into Quartz on Sunday for my avy course and 5 minutes down the trail my sled started overheating. Pulled it over and opened the hood to find my coolant line had somehow relaxed down and rested on the head. My brother-inlaw had to double me in so I could get the course done. No time to drag it back to the trailer. I'm really happy that sledders are good people cause I was a little worried about leaving the sled sitting on the trail for the whole day.:)

Tried to get to Golden on Saturday to ride but a truck hauling glass lost it about 15km east of Golden and held us up for 4.5 hours. Apparently there was glass 6 inches deep across the highway. We were planning on calling in sick today to go sledding but there are no polaris dealers in Golden. A weekend in Golden with lots of snow and no riding - not good. :(

A little off topic but how was the course? Did you meet a guy from Red Deer named Wade? Hope you didn't bury him to deep:)

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Course was really good. A huge eye opener when it comes actually using the beacon and locating another beacon buried deeper then 2 feet. Found out that my little shovel that fits nicely on my backpack is too short. Again trying to get below 2 feet or more. It was good to see a true comparison of beacons to see the pro's and con's of each brand. If I didn't just buy my BCA Tracker I would be getting the Mammut Pulse. The BCA works really well but the Pulse has 3 antennas and is amazing when it comes to the pinpoint search. The SOS beacons work well but it seems like a lot more thinking as you go. I think people who practise with them a lot won't have trouble but for a complete newbie I think the BCA is much easier. Lori and Randy run a great course. Unbelievably knowledgeable and very easy going. We started the course at 8:30 am in the parking lot and headed back from the cabin around 5:30 pm. Long day but they cover a lot.
What was Wade riding? He might remember me as the guy with the dead polaris or the guy that got flipped off the back of a skidoo doubling up a hill. If anyone else takes the course and has sled troubles, hope there is someone in the group with a 2-up sled. I kept hinting to Lori and Randy to let me ride in the tobaggan but they wouldn't go for it.

bigblock600

Reaction score
snapped my throttle cable at the oil pump riding finn creek on the 28th. man was she smokey after that. burnt an entire resevoir of oil in 3/4 of a tank of gas!

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is a good thing that we all do not have expensive hobbies so we can afford to snowmobile.

well the fusion has not had a single issue. and i ride the snot out of that 900

the ski-doo, well........i have had the recoil out numerous times, replaced the coolant jug, recoil goes again, friend of mine was riding it on sunday (skippy on this site) and hammered the front grab handle against a bank (not even that hard) and that is messed up, brken and warped and there dosen't seem to be any decent used parts around, and for some reason the primary clutch stuck on sunday and i can't remember what they are called, but they slide along the clutch shaft, flipped up to not let the plates come apart, so the thing is basically stuck in drive (plates close together ), i am hoping the bolt has just backed out giving it to much play, but after messing with it a couple times on the trail this sunday just to get back home, i had no desire to work on it this week., i going to try to repair this weekend. and look at the recoil again just to make sure.

anyone else have a story about a cursed sled??? this one has been one, but i think I almost got the bugs out. and i know what will happen, i'll sell it, and it will be the best sled that guy has ever owned. why me??

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I smoked a rock in Nov. in Mcbride broke my spindle bent my A-arms. It was cheaper to buy a complete Barkbuster frontend then to buy just one side from Yamaha. Fixed it up over the holidays now its already to got just need to fill the Nos bottle. Still it set me back alittle over a month of riding and 900.00 but well worth hitting that rock love the new front end!....So maybe if I roll it and the K&N pod get riped off, that should mean I can go with a turbo!!!! Can't wait for my next wreak!!!...lol:D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I smoked a rock in Nov. in Mcbride broke my spindle bent my A-arms. It was cheaper to buy a complete Barkbuster frontend then to buy just one side from Yamaha. Fixed it up over the holidays now its already to got just need to fill the Nos bottle. Still it set me back alittle over a month of riding and 900.00 but well worth hitting that rock love the new front end!....So maybe if I roll it and the K&N pod get riped off, that should mean I can go with a turbo!!!! Can't wait for my next wreak!!!...lol:D

HEY NOS... WHEN YOU BACK, MAN.... MISSIN' SOME GOOD SLEDDIN'. YOU STILL DOWN SOUTH???

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEY NOS... WHEN YOU BACK, MAN.... MISSIN' SOME GOOD SLEDDIN'. YOU STILL DOWN SOUTH???

No I am working in Portugal right now and looks like I will be working here for the next year or two. I am hoping to be back the third week in feb. then I get out for a ride! Has the tan rubbed off yet Ric.....lol Cheers:D

Dzl

Reaction score
The weekend before xmass after crossing a road approach and following a trail that three machines ahead of me went up, I smoked a hidden tree stump and busted the bumper, hood, speedo cable, front aluminum bulkhead and imploded the belly pan. All at a measly 5mph:mad::mad:

Just got it all fixed on sunday so I'll be back in biz again. Thanks to my good friend who is a body man who fixed the belly pan so well you can't even tell it was hit and cracked 11 inches long.

Dzl

Reaction score
01 summit. The three sleds that went ahead of me chewed out the snow hiding an 8" stump at the base of the ditch rise. I went in slow and then hit the gas to climb and stopped dead. Tourettes soon followed. My buddy was a wizard with his plastic solder. Can't even see the crack in the pan and we heated and cooled everything so it lookes perfect. The hood damage will have to be done right this summer as he patched it up for me so I could ride the season out.

Zipp

Reaction score
01 summit. The three sleds that went ahead of me chewed out the snow hiding an 8" stump at the base of the ditch rise. I went in slow and then hit the gas to climb and stopped dead. Tourettes soon followed. My buddy was a wizard with his plastic solder. Can't even see the crack in the pan and we heated and cooled everything so it lookes perfect. The hood damage will have to be done right this summer as he patched it up for me so I could ride the season out.

Does your buddy have a name or bussiness that others could go to? I also have "battle damage" on the pan.

Dzl

Reaction score
He is out of the autobody business in an active sense. He did me a favour.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a broken sled story but has anyone seen the new sled coming out from skidoo next year that is fuel injected and runs at a 500:1 ratio. So that means like 3000km to a tank of injectiion oil...

Top Bottom