Who all has broken down sleds?

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well i was bored and decided to hear about peoples broken sleds and how it happened.

I blew a lower chain case bearing on the sunday before x mas...so i havent ridden at all latley...but my part is coming today,

Anybody else got a story?

Last edited by a moderator:

doublek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About a week before christmas and our revy trip I took a piston out of my RT. The sled was only 12 days off of warranty! We talked to Ski-Doo, and their willing to pick up all the parts. We just have to pay for labour. Luckily I didn't sell my old sled, I still was able to go on our trip. But my engine is being rebuilt right now and should be ready in a couple weeks.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
at least there paying for the parts...how much is labour?

Keverett

Reaction score
My Brother aka Sledbender (I'm trying to get him to change his name on here but he doesn't seem to like the handle, even though it fits!) he broke his trailing arm and pushed the post back which bent his foot rail and it started dumping coolant. This was the week before Christmas and he just parked it the garage and has yet to fix it... I have a buddy that is going to fix it in exchange for a cheap roof job next summer though. We should have a vote to decide if he should change his name in the forum!

perry27

Reaction score
mines been in the repair process for 2 months finally gave up and dropped it off at the dealers in milo ab

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had started a post "Puddle of gas and oil" I was lake running on New Years eve and sled started sputtering, limped it back to shop and checked on it a few hrs later and was a Puddle of gas and oil under it. Just got back to it today and started tearing it down, Exhaust pipe was full of gas so pulled off the head and everything there looked OK, pulled off the carbs and slides were ok, pulled off jugs and crankcase was also full of gas but no damage that is visable. That's as far as I got today. Does this sound familiar to anyone...Help!!

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, pistons and jugs are in fantastic shape considering the mileage on the sled.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, pistons and jugs are in fantastic shape considering the mileage on the sled.

Gunk in the float bowls causing the needles to not close allowing the fuel to siphon past the fuel pump and fill the crank case. Check the float needles to make sure that the rubber tips are in good shape. Probably wouldn't hurt to rebuilt the carbs anyway.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first break down was a double whammy... I had a '98 Zr 600 that I had bought new in '98. On a trip up tp Calling Lake in 2002 with about 4200 trouble free miles on my sled I had hit some bad luck. I landed on a stump buried under about 2 1/2 feet of powder after launching off a roller on a rough cutline. The stump hit right under the driven clutch and punched the bellypan into the clutch. The clutch sheves had burned two stripes into the bellypan plastic! After some minor trail side surgery and about 30 miles of vibration the driven clutch broke into two pieces.

The very next ride out at Buck Lake south, after putting a new clutch on the sled, the PTO side crank bearing calved. There I was on the end of a rope on the way back to the truck & trailer. I was warned that after hitting the stump and the impact that the clutch took my crank could go.... well thats what happened.

Rebuilt the bottem end, rode it for another 1100 miles and sold it in 2004 for $2200.00 less then I bought it new in '98. Not too bad. :D

Always sucks to breakdown on the trail or in the hills... kills a good time for you and sometimes the guys your riding with. :sadbanana:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ahhhhh just got both mine running again
my 07 the recoil broke first pull of the day after a long drive:realmad::rant:
and it was 2 weeks after my warranty ran out
and i broke my throttle lever on my 2004 the next ride, luckily at the end of a great pow day... i didnt make the climb and tried to turn out into a small drop almost got stuck and the steep made the sled roll over a small drop and i guess the rock clipped my throttle lever, other than that just a few scrapes and that small clear plastic snow guard is gone
cant wait to break em again tommorow in fernie 100 cms last few days braaaaap

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
99summitx Have you checked the reeds? Ron's was flooding all the time and it turned out to be the reeds.
My sled has a broken A arm braket. New bracket means a new front bulk head. E-mailed a place to try to get a bracket. Will have to change the whole piece eventually. A little bent. I can fix it for now.
Steve

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
99summitx Have you checked the reeds? Ron's was flooding all the time and it turned out to be the reeds.
My sled has a broken A arm braket. New bracket means a new front bulk head. E-mailed a place to try to get a bracket. Will have to change the whole piece eventually. A little bent. I can fix it for now.
Steve

No reeds on the 670's they have the rotary valve, but thanks, I am sure the problem was in the carbs, will know when I get it all back together.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First ride of the year was about 3 weeks ago... Broke crankshaft made a mess of the entire engine. Waiting for a short block. My dealer was nice enough to lend me a sled while I'm waiting though.

Top Bottom